Sign in to follow this  
Andy2504

Caravan alarm beeping

Hi, we're away as first time caravanners with last night being our first night.

Not sure if this may be something to do with the gales but the caravan alarm kept randomly beeping twice in succession. It sounded like maybe a sensor was activating it as I could hear a click from the control box immediately before it beeped. In the end I had to disconnect the sounder so that we could get some sleep but that means we now no longer have an alarm that works.

Any suggestion will be most great fully received.

Thanks, Andrew

Most probably a flat battery in the alarm!

The alarm and its battery on our 2011 Elddis are located in a white metal box under a front bench. The cover is held by a screw on a side and once removed the cover pivots up. On our alarm the battery is a 12 volt one and these can fail with a replacement from Toolstation for £18 https://www.toolstation.com/sealed-lead-acid-battery/p79562 . If you have a voltmeter you can check it, ours had dropped down to well below 10 volts and would not charge up. With the battery removed it was still powered by the main 12 volt battery but to stop that discharging I simply removed the alarm fuse on the main fuse box. When in storage the main and alarm batteries are removed so these can be charged up now and again. The insurance company have been told it does not have an alarm and this did not alter the premium.

Thanks for the suggestions and as it happens I have got a multi meter with me so will check the battery out when I get back to the site.

Were you actually inside the caravan when the alarm activated? The alarm should only be armed when the caravan is unoccupied, otherwise, your movements will activate the sensors.

No idea the age of the caravan nor who manufactured the alarm. I have a sargebt alarm on present caravan. I phoned them when I had problems and they were very helpful. When my alarm went off there is a beep code when it is awitched off with fob. The number of beeps indicates what has caused the alarm

• Like 1

Yes we were inside and the alarm was turned off but then randomly with no more than about 5mins between it would beep twice.

Also just tested battery and it's currently reading 12.4v so I've disconnected it and will test again after its been sitting for a few hours as it's been connected to hook up so will have been charging.

The caravan is a Elddis Chatsworth 840 2018 and the alarm is a Autowatch 650. I'll maybe give them a call tomorrow. It is possible the alarm had gone off at some point as it was taken out of the site storage and put on the pitch prior to us arriving although there doesn't appear to be anywhere in the manual to say there is a particular way to reset after an alarm activation.

9 minutes ago, Andy2504 said:

The caravan is a Elddis Chatsworth 840 2018 and the alarm is a Autowatch 650. I'll maybe give them a call tomorrow. 

Good idea to give the manufacturers a call. They should have an idea of what's happening.

Yes, will do, at least I managed to silence it last night or there wouldn't have been much sleep although having said that there wasn't much anyway with the storm..... felt like the caravan was going to be blown away!!!

1 minute ago, Andy2504 said:

Yes, will do, at least I managed to silence it last night or there wouldn't have been much sleep although having said that there wasn't much anyway with the storm..... felt like the caravan was going to be blown away!!!

Have you reconnected everything back up to re-test it ?

Some alarm systems have either leg sensors or tilt sensors or both, and the storm may have been triggered that way.

Ref, changing batteries, it's simple to do on some alarms as Paul mentioned above, however others have either anti-tamper systems, or the unit has to be unmounted from the floor to gain access to the battery, a good  idea to prevent someone simply disconnecting the battery, a bit of a pain though, if a conscientious fitter  mounted it in a well hidden spot.

No I've not connected everything back up as it's still stormy today but meant to subside tomorrow so will try then and see what happens. 

I know it's got leg sensors but not sure about tilt although would have thought they should only activate if alarm was armed.

20 minutes ago, Andy2504 said:

I know it's got leg sensors but not sure about tilt although would have thought they should only activate if alarm was armed.

I would be suspicious of the alarm having an internal rechargeable battery that is failing and the alarm sounding to warn of that

1 hour ago, Andy2504 said:

Also just tested battery and it's currently reading 12.4v so I've disconnected it and will test again after its been sitting for a few hours as it's been connected to hook up so will have been charging.

I believe people are talking about the internal back up battery in the alarm, not the leisure battery.

It sounds as if that is starting to fail and it is warning you by emitting the 'double beep'.

Edited by The Happy Gnome
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

I believe people are talking about the internal back up battery in the alarm, not the leisure battery.

It is the alarm internal battery that I've tested at 12.4v and is now disconnected so I'll test it again after it has been disconnected for a period of time to see if it's holding its charge.

• Like 2

Just now, Andy2504 said:

It is the alarm internal battery that I've tested at 12.4v and is now disconnected so I'll test it again after it has been disconnected for a period of time to see if it's holding its charge.

OK -apologies I thought you were testing the leisure battery,

Sounds like a battery needs changing somewhere ? Possibly Fob battery ,Pir batteries,as said backup battery ,leg alarm sensor ,tracker. 

Could it be the fire alarm or carbon alarm beeping .

I went down my storage last week and a couple of caravans beeped as I went through so informed the storage owner and a few days later it had stopped so they must of notified the owners .

Edited by CommanderDave

It's definitely the caravan alarm as I've disconnected the sounder from the control box which has stopped the beep although I can still hear a relay clicking within the unit.

I'll have to call them tomorrow as there's nothing in the manual to diagnose it.

Thanks for all of the advice and I thought I'd provide an update to close this off.  So it turns out that somehow the system was in test mode which I  hadn't realising 🤭 and with no manual other than the brief insltructions in the main Elddis book had no way of knowing this. Contacted Autowatch who emailed the manual over and lo and behold no more beeping once turned off.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully it will help someone else in your position.

Don't even know if my alarm has a Test mode 😀

On 16/02/2020 at 17:31, CommanderDave said:

Sounds like a battery needs changing somewhere ? Possibly Fob battery ,Pir batteries,as said backup battery ,leg alarm sensor ,tracker. 

My PIR chirrups when it's  battery gets low as does my smoke detector.

I changed my 12v back-up battery last year.  The alarm made no sounds either before or after to indicate that the battery was bad / good.  

1F9BCC9E-68F0-4ED7-B1CF-69A4E6D483F7.thumb.jpeg.33fe54ec342edcddc6914c327641d09b.jpeg