Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hayes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Petrol

Recommended Posts

Hi 

 

I am currently looking for some advice about choosing a new towing vehicle for my 550 2008 Compass Omega which has a MTPLM of 1570kg.

 

As this tow vehicle will be a company car I am trying to make it as cost effective as possible on the tax front especially as Diesels are going to get hammered on tax from April 2020. 
 

I have read reviews of the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev petrol version which gives 1500kg as the maximum towing weight. I am fairly experienced in towing but just wondered whether the Mitsubishi would have enough power  to pull the caravan with it being a Hybrid? The reviews I read seem to suggest it performed ok but this was based on caravans that were up to MTPLM of 1490kg which is almost 100kg less.

 

If I went with another Mazda CX-5 as I have had previously it would mean an extra cost of £1,500 or more a year on tax. However I do know this vehicle is more than comfortable in towing my van.

 

Appreciate any advice people can give?

 

Thanks

 

Chris
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MTPLM of your caravan exeeds the towing limit of the Mitsubishi. Not worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum Chris. 

 

How do you feel about towing exceeding the car's tow limit? Would your insurance on both vehicles still be valid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chris Hayes said:

especially as Diesels are going to get hammered on tax from April 2020.

 

Have you got inside knowledge of the new Chancellor's Budget plans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This model was the subject of a long term test by Practical Caravan. Their conclusion was that the electricity ran out very quickly when towing and the batteries took up space that reduced the fuel tank to 45 liters making refueling stops very frequent. The engine is not strong enough for all but the lightest caravan and seemed to be its limit with a new Bailey Discovery which would suggest the Eccles is never even in the running.

I understand that there is a new hybrid Toyota Corolla coming out next month which looked good on paper.

29 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Welcome to the forum Chris. 

 

How do you feel about towing exceeding the car's tow limit? Would your insurance on both vehicles still be valid?

This can be an exception on some policies so you need to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Welcome to the forum Chris. 

 

How do you feel about towing exceeding the car's tow limit? Would your insurance on both vehicles still be valid?


Thanks WispMan.

 

Would have to check the insurance out.  Is it illegal to tow past the cars limit?

12 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Have you got inside knowledge of the new Chancellor's Budget plans?


Hi Black Grouse

 

See website link for info I have found on Benefit in Kind Tax

https://www.nextgreencar.com/company-car-tax/bik-rates/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris Hayes said:


 Is it illegal to tow past the cars limit?

 

It could be used as PART of the evidence for driving without due care and attention to other road users.

 

It could void the vehicle's warranty and may not be permitted as part of any leasing deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More important than the towing limit is the Gross Train Weight, which is closely linked to it. Exceeding this IS an offence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even I wouldn't do this and if you read the forum I am a firm believer in ignoring the 85% rule, but the car is rated to tow 1500kg only and any more than that is actually illegal-so no, don't do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you did get the Outlander, then if you do not put anything in the caravan so it weighs less than the towing limit and also so the gross train weight is not exceeded, it would be ok. Bare in mind though, if you have a mover, battery, water containers and a few other bits this could easily be 100 kg on top of the MIRO so you are likely to be around 1500 kg. Definitely not a good match. Other option is to change the caravan for something lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your advice.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions of good towing cars that would be suited to my caravan.

 

my budget is £22,000 looking for the least CO2 emissions as possible to keep the company car tax down 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Even I wouldn't do this and if you read the forum I am a firm believer in ignoring the 85% rule, but the car is rated to tow 1500kg only and any more than that is actually illegal-so no, don't do it!

 

 

Only exceeding the Gross trainweight would be illegal which is a plated weight . The towing maximum limits is based on a fully laden vehicle and you could reduce the payload on the vehicle by the 70 kg which would mean less in the car but remember to check what weight in the car and  a 100 kg noseweight .

 

 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Hayes said:

Thank you everyone for your advice.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions of good towing cars that would be suited to my caravan.

 

my budget is £22,000 looking for the least CO2 emissions as possible to keep the company car tax down 

 

Have you thought about looking at a pickup with a hood on the back, all the luxury of a big car with loads of load and towing capability.

I think the tax works out cheapet. Hence why they were popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Have you thought about looking at a pickup with a hood on the back, all the luxury of a big car with loads of load and towing capability.

I think the tax works out cheapet. Hence why they were popular.


If the pickup has a load carrying capacity of 1 tonne or more it is classed as a commercial vehicle, so the BIK is much less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

 

 

Only exceeding the Gross trainweight would be illegal which is a plated weight . The towing maximum limits is based on a fully laden vehicle and you could reduce the payload on the vehicle by the 70 kg which would mean less in the car but remember to check what weight in the car and  a 100 kg noseweight .

 

 

Dave

That assumes the plated train weight actually equates to the sum of vehicle gross + towing limit. Some vehicles are not, and when a trailer is towed the car Gross limit is reduced. I don't know about the Phew.

Also many vehicles are actually heavier than the published weight because the published weight is only a guide. The load carrying capacity may be a lot less than the owner thinks so the car can easily be close to the Gross limit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 11:20, Chris Hayes said:

Would have to check the insurance out.  Is it illegal to tow past the cars limit?

 

 

No as long as you have B+E and the gross train weight is in the specs. 70kg is neither here nor there in grand scheme of things so in the real world it wont make any difference even if you have a full shake down from the rozzas they give a bit of leniency. 

 

I would check the reviews are to do with the new outlander which has a 2.4 rather than 2.0 engine which would hopefully be better.  My company car is the 2.0, the BIK savings are worth it but that is the only reason i have it.

 

I think also depends how much you use it, if you go away every weekend with the caravan then the outlanders probably not for you as its not a great tow car by any means however it is adequate so if you only go away every now and again it would probably be fine. Dont expect to see 20mpg when towing though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...