lazydaze

Towing Covers

Just purchased a nice new to us shiny caravan thinking of buying a towing cover but on reflection while travelling would the dirt and grime if raining go between the cover and front windows  and possibly cause scratching , if you have a cover did it meet your expectations and perform well , also I have seen cheap covers on E-Bay  etc but I would be buying a tailor made so possibly £ 200 pounds plus are these worth the investment , also do you use  it to keep the windows covered in the winter months if not using the van .your advice would be welcomed.:Thankyou:

Edited by lazydaze
spelling error

I have no experience with a tailor cover just one of the universal ones.  The most important thing is to make sure the van is clean before fitting and never put it on the floor as and dirt/grit will scratch the van, mainly the windows.

The one time I didn't use it was last year driving to Cornwall on the m5

Didn't use it because I got lazy and couldn't be bothered to clean the front before I set off. The window delaminated on the m5 and split the window. I couldn't help think of I had the cover on it wouldn't have happened. I spent hours on my holiday trying to glue the window back together. Now I always use the cover.

They can scratch the window though so make sure it is clean. I have put cling film over the window before the cover and this seems to eliminate scratching bit I have read not to do this bit I have had no negative effects.

I have a pro-tec custom fit towing cover, very easy to fit single handed with only one zip used to fit it, I did used to have a universal off eBay that was a right pain to fit with 2 people.

They are not something to leave on when storing the caravan, they won't offer any benefit and slight movement in the wind will scratch your van with dirt washed off the roof behind the cover

One benefit of leaving the cover on is to reduce the oxidation of the gel coat. However as stated at the cost of scratches on the windows. 

Set of mudflaps are cheaper and are more likely to prevent damage from a stone, granted they won`t keep the front clean.

Hi Lazy Days

We've a GT65 Bailey and have a Tow Pro Elite, easy to fit and remove, no stone chips, no window rub, adds to the nose weight but not much, hard to dry out if it gets wet on the journey out and the weather remains wet but still wouldn't tow any real distance without one now.

Many thanks to all your replies which are  positive , Tow Pro Elite was my cover of choice so nice to have a comment on that cover:Thankyou:

I use a protec cover. As said, clean the front first. If the van and cover are dry when I get home I leave it on under the main cover. 
wouldn't travel without it.