Sign in to follow this  
Cavalier

Tyre pressure monitor

I have just realised that my 2017 Unicorn has tyre pressure sensors built in, a couple of questions: do you have to buy the monitor from Bailey, priced I think at £90, or is there a cheaper monitor on eBay that is compatible?  If the sensors are battery operated, would they now after nearly 4 years, need changing ? Another thought how do you change them?

sorry if all this has been covered in the forum, but I can't find it.

thanks Cavalier

The batteries in the valves last about 5 years-in cars -which are used much more so they must last longer in caravans which don't move so often-they are motion activated in our car at least and look the same. If you google it you can buy the monitor but it has to be the correct one to work with the frequency of the valves -all based on mini ownership of course. WE haven't got them on the van. it is a tyrepal unit-same price on ebay as from Bailey as far as a quick glance shows.

Edited by Jezzerb

The TPM's fitted to Bailey caravans are TyrePal, so you can get a display from them or any other vendor that supplies TyrePal.

Regarding the lifetime, I suspect that it's around 5-6 years, which is roughly the amount of time that the tyres on the van are predicted to last. Most advice is to change tyres after five years and not keep them for more than seven.

AFAIK the whole sensor has to be swapped  and it might as well be done when the tyres are replaced as the batteries are not replaceable or accessible unless the tyres are removed. My U3 Cadiz is just coming up to it's 5th birthday and I shall be thinking about replacing  both the tyres and sensors sometime in the spring.

TBH I wasn't everso sure of the value of TPM's as on one hand they will give you  indication of low pressure or tyre deflation but on the other, the info given when blatting along on a hot day (high temps and high pressures) can be somewhat alarming. My tyres get up to 70+psi and 50 degrees which did worry me a bit in the beginning but I'm now used to it.

I ordered a Tyrepal monitor last Friday AM it arrived 1st class post AM Saturday!! That's good service. I haven't set it up yet, too cold and wet.

Bailey Valencia 3.

• Like 1

I use them on our GT65.  As matlo dave points out, quire alarming when the temp goes upwards of 50 degrees and 70 plus PSI,

Smooth French Roads in The Summer Ahhhhhh bliss.   

Wouldn't be without it now, just adds to the safety factor for me.             

Keep forgetting about it as monitor lives in the van.

I like the fact it has a rechargeable battery so we don't have to stick ot on screen and plug it in. We sit it in the centre console of towcar.(when I remember to get it out!)

It sometimes stops monitoring offside tyre after a couple of hours towng, stop for abreak and reset its fine! Modern electronic gizmo !! Suspect sensor.

I will mention it to dealer when the van is serviced in March

18 hours ago, JohnPat said:

I ordered a Tyrepal monitor last Friday AM it arrived 1st class post AM Saturday!! That's good service. I haven't set it up yet, too cold and wet.

Bailey Valencia 3.

I am looking for a tpms but wondered why Tyrepal. It appears to be 4 or 5 times the price of models on Amazon and I suspect made in China like most electronic bits these days.

Please enlighten me before i go to the show this week to splash the cash

ISTR that tyre pal system has a 8m range, some of the cheaper ones like of ebay/amazon usually status that they won't work on caravans because of the transmitter range. I got a solo power one for my wife's car. The tyre pal will work on my TA.

1581773370316-466169275.jpg

I believe Tyrepal sell 2 types of sensor; Internal in which batteries cannot be changed and External where they can. The price of new set of sensors(x4) is around £36. Not sure of cost of 2 (if available). When batteries run out it may be worth changing to externals.  I believe monitors are same for both.

hi i have one for sale from a 2018 unicorn message me if interested 

20200217_164919.jpg