Sign in to follow this  
xtrailman

Another car with solar panels fitted

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-sono-sion-solar-car-be-built-ex-saab-factory

I noticed this in the latest whatcar mag, I would have expected more than just a few manufactures to bring out cars with solar panels, I've said before on the forum that they should be standard on all transport.

It's a shame the green lobby never seem to mention them?

The big issue with solar powered cars is getting enough range to be worthwhile. This one claims 18 miles which is just about enough range if it can actually achieve it without " a day" being 12 hours in Saharan sun.

As said we know solar is ideal in June on a hot sunny day but in winter your lucky to see 1% .

Dave

Interesting thing about solar panels, so I am told, it takes more energy to make than it will produce in average lifetime. 

This is my first caravan with a 80 watt solar panel, since having it i never need to put the charger on, that alone proves to me its worth.

Every new house should also be built with solar panels, they don't need sun shine to give power just light.

I'm also a fan of wind turbines and water wheel generators.

• I agree completely 3

Totally agree-criminal that in  a country with so many rivers and disused water wheels they're not resurrected. 

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

36 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Totally agree-criminal that in  a country with so many rivers and disused water wheels they're not resurrected. 

A nice idea, but the amount of power obtainable is small compared to the cost of the equipment.

3 minutes ago, Stevan said:

A nice idea, but the amount of power obtainable is small compared to the cost of the equipment.

There are numerous hydro power projects underway in the UK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Happy Gnome said:

There are numerous hydro power projects underway in the UK.

Yes, but the conditions need to be quite specific before it becomes economically viable, which is not the case for many of the old mill sites referred to by Jezzerb.

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

Yes, but the conditions need to be quite specific before it becomes economically viable, which is not the case for many of the old mill sites referred to by Jezzerb.

The trent was a source of mill power, and is now a source of hydroelectric power.

18 hours ago, xtrailman said:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-sono-sion-solar-car-be-built-ex-saab-factory

I noticed this in the latest whatcar mag, I would have expected more than just a few manufactures to bring out cars with solar panels, I've said before on the forum that they should be standard on all transport.

and New Build Houses

11 hours ago, Stevan said:

I can't see it being any less viable than the outlay and maintenance cost of a wind turbine?

7 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I can't see it being any less viable than the outlay and maintenance cost of a wind turbine?

I have no doubt that where the conditions are suitable they can be cost effective, but not every stretch of water is going to  be suitable!

21 hours ago, xtrailman said:

Surely this is a joke as they are built in a country that does not get much sunshine in the summer never mind the winter months.  Not exactly environmentally friendly as you need to wash the panel constantly to get peak performance.  Another fad to please a minority group like the 3D TVs. 

BTW what happens if the vehicle is involved in an accident?  Definitely will not be able to use that on many streets in the cities as the towing buildings block out sunlight.

It's not heat type sunshine but daylight that produces power in solar panels, and Sweden has nearly permanent daylight in midsummer....

• Thanks 1

I have always wondered why this was not done. It does seem that those who leave the car outside during the day could get a free top up. I have no idea what it would produce, but surely every little helps.

• I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Surely this is a joke as they are built in a country that does not get much sunshine in the summer never mind the winter months.  Not exactly environmentally friendly as you need to wash the panel constantly to get peak performance.  Another fad to please a minority group like the 3D TVs. 

BTW what happens if the vehicle is involved in an accident?  Definitely will not be able to use that on many streets in the cities as the towing buildings block out sunlight.

Unless you can tilt the panel in the winter months with low sun and cloudy days the controller is taking more out than the panel is putting in .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I haven't washed my caravan solar panel since October, but it's still maintained the battery.

The link posted claims an extra 19 mpg with the cars solar cell, even if it's half that it would mean a saving.

I have yet to see any of my neighbours clean their house solar panels.

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Unless you can tilt the panel in the winter months with low sun and cloudy days the controller is taking more out than the panel is putting in .

Dave

So why isn't my caravan battery flat?

5 hours ago, Stevan said:

I have no doubt that where the conditions are suitable they can be cost effective, but not every stretch of water is going to  be suitable!

Nobody's saying they are, same applies to wind turbines.

i cannot imagine the ontroller taking that amount of juice.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I haven't washed my caravan solar panel since October, but it's still maintained the battery.

The link posted claims an extra 19 mpg with the cars solar cell, even if it's half that it would mean a saving. I have yet to see any of my neighbours clean their house solar panels.

So why isn't my caravan battery flat?

Nobody's saying they are, same applies to wind turbines.

A dirty panel is not as efficient as a clean panel.  How can it be a savings if having the solar panel increased the cost of the unit.  BTW where were the solar panels manufactured and how did they arrive at their destination?  Did they travel thousands of miles or just 10 miles?  At the moment it is just a fad to satisfy the tree huggers.

• I do not understand 1

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

A dirty panel is not as efficient as a clean panel.  How can it be a savings if having the solar panel increased the cost of the unit.  BTW where were the solar panels manufactured and how did they arrive at their destination?  Did they travel thousands of miles or just 10 miles?  At the moment it is just a fad to satisfy the tree huggers.

I'm never concerned with the purchase cost only the running costs.

And I don't care where the panels came from as long as they perform the job, whether clean or not.