Sign in to follow this  
warrenb

Karoq 1.5 tsi dsg towing 1485kg

Looking at this car as a replacement for our tow car as we only at the moment tow around 5 times a year and use the car as normal for the rest of the year. Anyone with experience towing with this vehicle.

Edited by warrenb
Typos

Not the same car but similar amount of power. I towed with a new shape insignia 1.5t petrol pulling a 1250mptlm caravan. I had no issues but I wouldn't have wanted to tow 1485kg like your proposing. I think it would have been to much for it.

Not specifically the Karoq but I've towed with a few VAG TSi engined vehicles with the DQ200 gearbox.

On the move it's fine but the DQ200 is dry clutch so low speed manouvering can be a little jerky as the clutches do not like to slip. This is a pain when reversing.

Also the DQ200 does not have a great reputation for reliability. I'd ensure you have a bullit proof warranty for how long you intend to own it.

(I've owned five vehicles with this box and four required warranty work)

150PS is OK and maximum torque is available early in the rev range but it's limited to just 250nm due to the gearbox limit. So expect to use some revs.

Edited by logiclee

We happily towed a 1450kg with a 109bhp dacia duster 4x4,  kerbweight 1280kg and never had the slightest wobble in any situation and we did a lot of driving and holidays.  I would think it would be more than up to the job-plenty of power, manufacturer rated towing capacity of 1700kg if it's the dsg, but only 1500 for the manual-still by my experience it would be fine. Kerbweight is around 1480 so the 85% rulers will say no! I'd say yes!

Currently on Range Rover number 8 and in 36 years of ownership have never had a major breakdown or had a vehicle off the road for more than a couple of days.

RR 7 which was a Velar had a dreadful infotainment system where the screens would stay blank for a whole journey so no sat nav, no radio and lack of other controls so it was rejected.

The only short journeys that we do are a 2 mile return trip to Tesco for fuel before going away and a 6 mile round trip to the doctors a few times a year.

Nearly all the other trips have the van on the back so the engine is up to temp and working hard so no dpf problems.

Ian

Have you got lost Ian?

• Haha 1

Also worth checking the kerbweight as a base model FWD Karoq 1.5 DSG is only 1385kg so a 1485kg caravan is well over 100%

20 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Also worth checking the kerbweight as a base model FWD Karoq 1.5 DSG is only 1385kg so a 1485kg caravan is well over 100%

But the vehicle gross weight is 

Skoda Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI 150PS DSG      1,881 kg

1 minute ago, Organman said:

But the vehicle gross weight is 

Skoda Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI 150PS DSG      1,881 kg

So?

For comparison purposes, the NCC Towing Ratio uses the car's kerbweight, not it's laden weight which can vary.

Oh and I will be getting the Edition version. And I don't want the thread to disappear down the hole of 85% rules here. If the car can tow it then I am happy, been towing for years, and if a car is rated to tow at a certain weight, then clearly it is safe to do so, unless they want to get sued.

Edited by warrenb
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, warrenb said:

if a car is rated to tow at a certain weight, then clearly it is safe to do so, unless they want to get sued.

The quoted tow weights are for the ability to pull away on the stated percentage incline and for the reliability of components. 

No manufacturer quotes that figure for stability.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The quoted tow weights are for the ability to pull away on the stated percentage incline and for the reliability of components. 

No manufacturer quotes that figure for stability.

There's an inherent problem because manufacturers can only quote a single weight for the maximum towing load regardless of type of trailer - caravans have higher centres of gravity than other types of trailers and much high side forces from side winds.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Oh and I will be getting the Edition version. And I don't want the thread to disappear down the hole of 85% rules here. If the car can tow it then I am happy, been towing for years, and if a car is rated to tow at a certain weight, then clearly it is safe to do so, unless they want to get sued.

There is a difference between what a car can be legally rated to tow and what it can safely tow.

If you look at what some of JLR products can legally tow (and without over stressing their components) the limit is way in excess of the vehicle kerbweights. But that figure is devised on the basis that the trailers they will be pulling are often 'agricultural' in nature or horse boxes where speeds are in the main lower than somebody hurtling down the outside lane of a dual carriageway at 60 mph towing a caravan.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

As I said, I will be towing around 5 times a year. Max 250 miles on a run. Cars are getting lighter and lighter, and most people with a family don't want a hunking great car for a 5 times a year reason, they want a family car that is economical. So if a manufacturer says it will tow 1700kg then it will. If it starts to get unstable in a cross wind then you slow down, it is not rocket science.

2 minutes ago, warrenb said:

As I said, I will be towing around 5 times a year. Max 250 miles on a run. Cars are getting lighter and lighter, and most people with a family don't want a hunking great car for a 5 times a year reason, they want a family car that is economical. So if a manufacturer says it will tow 1700kg then it will. If it starts to get unstable in a cross wind then you slow down, it is not rocket science.

The frequency with which you tow is irrelevant.

You only need to roll the outfit on a single journey out of those five.

2 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

The frequency with which you tow is irrelevant.

You only need to roll the outfit on a single journey out of those five.

It is relevant because the risk is reduced.

3 hours ago, warrenb said:

Towing over 100% increases the risk of instability.

15 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

It is relevant because the risk is reduced.

Lol.

Well yes the number of opportunities for it to happen are of course diminished, but the reduced number of journeys doesn't reduce the chances of instability on a particular single journey. Which of course was the point I was making.

🤣🤣

On 14/02/2020 at 13:21, The Happy Gnome said:

Lol.

Well yes the number of opportunities for it to happen are of course diminished, but the reduced number of journeys doesn't reduce the chances of instability on a particular single journey. Which of course was the point I was making.

🤣🤣

Again what you are saying has no logic.

Why do you think car insurers give cheaper quotes to motorists covering low miles, the risk is reduced.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Again what you are saying has no logic.

Why do you think car insurers give cheaper quotes to motorists covering low miles, the risk is reduced.

Lol

I learned long ago that debating something not worth debating in an internet forum is a fuitless, pointless exercise that derails threads and bores other members.

Good afternoon.

👍

• Like 1

It is totally untrue to say that the towing capacity of the vehicle is based simply on a series of hillstarts and pulling away. Manufacturers go much further than this and are as you will see developing stabiltiy systems etc trailer assist that have to be tested. Also not true to say that the capacity is high due to the loads being less high ie vertically or easier aerodynamically  or they are travelling slower.  Farmers tow trailers with horrendous loads -bales of straw , machinery and yes horse boxes. Many don't hang around. 

We now have a Navara and  tow a 2000kg Buc-we don't know it's on whe towing (except the fuel guage drops faster!) yet internet forums all chitter about how trucks have no weight in the back and are flighty-total rubbish.

I would happily tow with your proposed outfit-have done so with far greater differential between tow car and caravan and would put money on it being a brilliant combo. Ignore the 85% blinkers. It is purely a sensible cautious starting point and towing over 100% is from many mile of experience perfectly safe-and the caravan didn't even have ATC! 

Edited by Jezzerb

In this thread of 20 posts, the OP is asking about a specific model in the Karoq range.

5 posts mention a totally different car, so totally irrelevant.

8 posts are arguing about manufacturers methods/reasoning  re towing weights, so totally irrelevant too!

So...............are posters more interested in the sound of their own voices, or are they keeping one eye on the number of posts they've made???

<<walks away shaking his head>>

Edited by Supatramp
accuracy
  • Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

3 minutes ago, Supatramp said:

In this thread of 20 posts, the OP is asking about a specific model in the Karoq range.

8 posts are arguing about manufacturers methods/reasoning  re towing weights, so totally irrelevant too!

So...............are posters more interested in the sound of their own voices, or are they keeping one eye on the number of posts they've made???

Some are giving advice about towing suitability where they take no responsibility if it goes wrong but fail to understand that in asking for advice that the OP may not have the same confidence or attitude to risk.

Welcome to the wonderful world of forums!

5 hours ago, Supatramp said:

And your contribution is what exactly ?

There wont be many who tow with that exact car or towing that caravan weight with one, so the OP was always going to struggle to get the information he seeks.

• Like 1