I've had a quick look but I can't find a thread about the BMW X5 as a tow car.

I never got to drive one last time round but it seems a reasonable choice alongside Touareg, Disco, Mercedes for a 4WD tug for a 2 tonne van.

Anyone using one?

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

You might need extra cooling fans for towing on the X5 . BMW recommend bigger fans under certain conditions if I remember .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I've towed with an E53 diesel, an E53 petrol, an E70 diesel and now with an F16 X6. All have been superb tow vehicles, plenty of power and a good weight limit on the towball (150kg I think). Self levelling rear suspension as well.

All 3 X5's had towbars fitted after I bought them and all the electrics worked on the caravan.  I did not upgrade the cooling fan as the general consensus is that it is not required, unless your car is in BMW warranty and they might not honour any claims if the gearbox reqires attention. I towed all over Europe with mine and had no problems at all.

Very stable tow vehicles.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

3 hours ago, gmc15 said:

I've towed with an E53 diesel, an E53 petrol, an E70 diesel and now with an F16 X6. All have been superb tow vehicles, plenty of power and a good weight limit on the towball (150kg I think). Self levelling rear suspension as well.

All 3 X5's had towbars fitted after I bought them and all the electrics worked on the caravan.  I did not upgrade the cooling fan as the general consensus is that it is not required, unless your car is in BMW warranty and they might not honour any claims if the gearbox reqires attention. I towed all over Europe with mine and had no problems at all.

Very stable tow vehicles.

We have an F16 X6, but only a 3 litre diesel, and I agree it is an excellent tow car.  Just stick it in D, cruise control on and then enjoy the ride. This is us waiting to get on the ferry at Bilbao last year. Don’t believe the press about bad headroom in the rear, our son was in the backseat when we went round Spain and France last year and he’s nearly 6 foot.

49BA7E8C-1A5D-409E-A396-203B5663B376.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

You might need extra cooling fans for towing on the X5 . BMW recommend bigger fans under certain conditions if I remember .

Dave

If you get a factory fitted tow bar it comes with additional cooling requirements & heavier towing capacity, up to 3.5t

• Like 1

Tow car -  2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport 

Caravan -  2017 Compass Camino 660                               

85% On The 'Ratio'

We tow with a 2008 3.0 diesel MSport E70 X5 - had it remapped by DMS Automotive to around 280bhp. It has 152,000 miles on it now, and we towed our Coachman VIP545/4, and our now Swift 635 Elegance Grande, which we are in the process of plate upgrading to 2000kgs.

It tows with aplomb - super stable with bags of grunt. No additional cooling and a 3rd party tow trust bar fitted.  Only job I've had to do was replace the rear air suspension bags, which I did myself and took about 90 mins to do!

I think it's a great tug for pulling a large heavy van.

I bought the new G05 30d Xdrive last year and I am very impressed with it. The air suspension is fantastic and the car feels very stable. The 620nm of torque also makes for effortless towing, 

As @Bristle Hound mentions, if you opt for the new G05 then it needs to be a factory fit tow bar to get 3500kg tow capacity. If its retrofitted then this drops to 1900kg. That would be ok for most vans but jut be aware.

Coachman Laser 875 . BMW X5 30D xDrive M Sport (G05)

• 5 months later...

Hi has anyone had any feedback on the bmw x5 Go5 50d  with professional adaptive suspension when towing. i found my new  go5 50d not as stable as the previous f15 50d with the  professional adaptive suspension when towing the same trailer 

Even my old 2006 X5 3.0 D Sport was fantastic at towing . 

2019 Ford Transit DCIV Limited 190bhp Auto / 2007 VW Transporter Kombi 2.5 TDI 174bhp  4 Motion  +  2018 Bailey Unicorn lV Valencia 

On 10/08/2020 at 15:39, Was said:

Hi has anyone had any feedback on the bmw x5 Go5 50d  with professional adaptive suspension when towing. i found my new  go5 50d not as stable as the previous f15 50d with the  professional adaptive suspension when towing the same trailer