Bristle Hound

Alko ATC - Just How Good Is It?

Having never had a caravan with Alko ATC I'm just wondering how good it really is as my new Swift Elegance 580 has it

TIA

Very!

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

I`ve had ATC on the last two vans and it will be on the next due soon, how good it is I don`t actually know as I`ve never had a snake only once without ATC and I wouldn't wish to repeat it. The odd occasion the ATC has noticeably activated is over rough surfaces as the caravan "wobbles" and you can definitely feel the tug back on the car, so I guess if it activated in the "real thing" it would be effective, so prefer to have it now.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Bristle Hound said:

Having never had a caravan with Alko ATC I'm just wondering how good it really is as my new Swift Elegance 580 has it

TIA

A well matched outfit properly loaded shouldnt need it.

(Nor in fact should it need a stabiliser)

However they are there for something unexpected eg a sudden harsh emeregency avoidence manoeuvre or strong unexpected gust of wind. A well matched outfit should recover but ATC gives extra reassurance.

Our current van does not have it and so far I havent missed it.

Our last van had it and it never activated in a 'snake situation' but it did activate in certain road conditions. It was certainly effective in briefly dragging the car.

The biggest bugbear is the LED which regularly fail.

Edited by The Happy Gnome
  • Thanks 1

Never had it so never missed it. My caravan has always been rock steady behind my car, so I’ve never felt the need. My Jeep is about a tonne heavier than the caravan, which must help, maybe if the two were closer to the same mass I might feel differently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, compact said:

I`ve had ATC on the last two vans and it will be on the next due soon, how good it is I don`t actually know as I`ve never had a snake only once without ATC and I wouldn't wish to repeat it. The odd occasion the ATC has noticeably activated is over rough surfaces as the caravan "wobbles" and you can definitely feel the tug back on the car, so I guess if it activated in the "real thing" it would be effective, so prefer to have it now.

The first time I had it and ESP in the car I had to do something very much like the "elk test"  at 60mph when a large piece of sheet metal came off the top of an HGV in front of me. I never found out whether is was the ATC or the ESP, or both that cut in but it was clear that brakes were applied and everything straightened up very nicely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got it on our caravan, not had it before, don't think that it has come into play as of yet, if it has I've not noticed it.

• Thanks 1

It is much like seat belts, something in an ideal world is not needed, but could be invaluable if something unexpected happens. That does not have to be anything in any way you're or the units set up fault, it could be from an incidence caused by somebody else.

Just as seat belts, hopefully it will be a total waste of money, but again like the belts could be your best ever investment.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 2

On my previous caravan - a TA Lunar - travelling along the A34 in 2013 south of Oxford there was an issue with the road surface which sent my caravan into a very serious snake out of nowhere my ATC definitely kicked in and saved us but sadly not the poor sole in another caravan that had turned over just a little further up the road. We pulled into some services that were just up the road to find 4 other caravans who had exactly the same issue on that stretch of road. I will never buy a caravan without it and added it to my new caravan as it wasn’t fitted as standard. The best £349 I have spent.

Enjoy your new van!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree I would not have a caravan without it now, like ABS etc it should be fitted to all new caravans and not still an extra in some models.

Hopefully you never need it but if you were the victim of an incident beyond your control it may just save the day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I agree I would not have a caravan without it now, like ABS etc it should be fitted to all new caravans and not still an extra in some models.

Hopefully you never need it but if you were the victim of an incident beyond your control it may just save the day.

I agree, it or a device achieving the same should be a standard feature on all new UK caravan sales, just as the raft of"safety" features in our cars are mandated.

It so fundamentally increases the safety of the towed unit, not only affording those in the vehicle greater protection, but the rest of us out on the road. Plus, it significantly increases your chances of not spoiling your pride and joy if material things are more important to you than human injuries or worst.

To clarify a point that occasionally arises, ATC is not a stability aid, it does absolutely nothing to improve the stability of the unit.

It is solely and instability addressing device, it only intervenes when the makings of instability show, preempting that initial hint from going critical.

Hence, it is quite normal to expect it to intervene when van movements occur, of a nature should they continue things can get critical. It does not hang about waiting to see it things are going wrong, it takes the simple decision to act, before facing a lot harder job. So swings from tight turns and even very slow speed rolls on a rough rally field or CL can evoke it. It is very simple and unaware of the van speed, they taking the view to not overly complicate for finesse, just enough to do its intended task.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

The biggest bugbear is the LED which regularly fail.

My LED is still working fine - and it is over 7 years old now.   

2012 Bailey caravan (if that makes a difference)?

10 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

My LED is still working fine - and it is over 7 years old now.   

2012 Bailey caravan (if that makes a difference)?

No idea, the led's are all the same afaik.

2 in three years for us and failures are regularly reported and confirmed as a weak point by dealers.

Never leave home without one, peace of mind, they are brilliant 

Yes my led failed.  Could have spent £30 on a replacement part.  Or $ 2.71 for 100 compatible LEDs from AliExpress.  I now have a functioning led again. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fred said:

Yes my led failed.  Could have spent £30 on a replacement part.  Or $ 2.71 for 100 compatible LEDs from AliExpress.  I now have a functioning led again. 

Sounds you could make 95 friends as well ;)  A link might make even more.

I am foolish to type this but mine is still fine 12 years on, that's screwed it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leedslad said:

They look the same.   I can’t remember the exact spec from AliExpress but getting deliveries from China might be slow at the moment.  

Worth noting you have to get the polarity correct on those replacement LED's as other wise it will light red when all is OK and green when it's not. (Just for anybody who isn't aware)