The Happy Gnome

CMHC now a member of ABTA

Not sure it will give financial protection to all travel related products they sell, I do not believe ferry bookings would be covered if the principle failed.

They are just playing catch up with the CCC

Who have been ABTA members for many years

On 14/02/2020 at 08:05, tonyradstone said:

Not sure it will give financial protection to all travel related products they sell, I do not believe ferry bookings would be covered if the principle failed.

Not sure TBH, I'm guessing that any protection would only apply to any package they provide such as a combined ferry/tunnel/site booking.

The club have added something good. What's not to like?

Having ABTA cover someone needs to pay for the cover and that means the club member which means the cost of travel products will be increased.  How does Red Pennant now fit in?

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

How does Red Pennant now fit in?

I foresee no difference to Red Pennant at all.

It's breakdown/travel/health insurance. You can book a holiday with an ABTA agent but still take out such a policy.

You would need them to clarify, but they do arrange package holidays which would be covered. My understanding is that they must book two or more elements of a holiday for it to qualify as a package which here could be the ferry and campsite. The insurance is  probably a different animal and not part of the booking.

The tours both European and world would clearly be packages.

On 16/02/2020 at 11:46, The Happy Gnome said:

I foresee no difference to Red Pennant at all.

It's breakdown/travel/health insurance. You can book a holiday with an ABTA agent but still take out such a policy.

Red Pennant is also insurance if you have a valid reason for cancelling the holiday or if you arrive at a site and it has closed down.  In essence double cover?

22 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Red Pennant is also insurance if you have a valid reason for cancelling the holiday or if you arrive at a site and it has closed down.  In essence double cover?

ABTA doesn't provide cover if you have to cancel a holiday, that's a claim on you holiday insurance which is what Red Pennant covers so no double cover there I would say.  ABTA is to provide cover if things on the supplier side go wrong.

As for a site going 'belly up' before you arrive I guess either would apply but you won't of course be able to claim on both.

edit to add - though I've just had a quick check of the Red Pennant brochure/policy and cannot see any actual cover would be provided if the site folded prior to your arrival so presumably ABTA cover would kick in, also if the Caravan Club went bust too.

Edited by The Happy Gnome
For clarity