Sign in to follow this  
Conor Duncan

Looking to buy an Elddis Avante Club 556

Looking for some advice. I am buying my first caravan, I have viewed a private sale Elddis Avante Club 556 2008. Caravan is very clean I have checked all cupboards and floor for dampness, seems perfect. The seller has been very honest and seems genuine, he said there was a leak at the front that has been repaired, I noticed white silicone runs across the front window sill, he said this was part of the fix. He also said he recently had a section of wood replaced underneath the caravan at the rear. Seems perfect from what I can see looking underneath.

Just wondering is it common for these sort of issues with 12 year old caravans are should I steer clear?

I would use your damp meter around the front windows. If it has leaked at the front it might not dry out without removing the inner panels and the wood could have rotted and need replacing - unless this has already been done. I was recently quoted about £600 to do something similar on our caravan. Possible leak sources to wet the front are the side awning rails, the roof joints, the window holding bar screw holes above the windows, the window seals.

Silicone sealant is not normally used on caravans, it is not recommended for aluminium and usually a none setting Sikaflex type of mastic is used.

With any make of caravan that old a damp check is a wise precaution. If the silicone was on the window sill I cannot see this is to keep water out, but presumably to tidy up the repair. You would have expected a coloured one though, which makes me wonder about the person who did it.

I would want assurances that the front was fully dried out before replacement was made.

Ok thanks for the tips..I will definitely check with the damp meter and confirm what exactly was done to fix the leak, and yes i thought the white silicone  should of at least been the same color as the sill.

If it hasn’t got any service history (with damp reports) it would be money well spent to have a mobile caravan service engineer check it over for you before buying it. We had a 2007 Elddis Avante 540 and it was damp at it’s second service. They aren’t all like that and properly repaired damp is fine, but poorly repaired damp is a financial nightmare.

Had one of these caravans and both these issues happened to me after about 6 years. If he has repaired it properly then i would not worry.