Lanney

Someone has parked in my pitch

We have been paying for secure storage for over 5 years and this year whilst the caravan was in for a service someone parked in our pitch. We were told they had a problem with the motor mover and would move it in 2 days. Then it was the battery, weather etc. Its been 2 weeks and we are picking up our van this weekend and their caravan is still on our pitch after being told to move.  I'm so frustrated what can I do? I'm sick of contacting the storage people to get it moved. They even suggested we park in the tourist area until they go but I have paid for secure storage with CCTV so there is no way I'm putting my van there. Any suggestions? 

Tow him out of your pitch.

Have you told the owners of the storage about the problem?

Can't the owner of the site put you where this caravan should be?

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Can't the owner of the site put you where this caravan should be?

Probably that is what those people want, maybe the OP has a good pitch in view of the operators office 

Park in front of him, leave your van and wait for a phonecall. 

• Like 2

Do you pay for A secure pitch or THAT one?

Cliff

Are these just general parking spots or is there a name marked on the back wall or on the floor ?

I had this myself and we have our own marked bays and when I had a moan at the owner it was his own uncle because somebody had parked in his spot and it took months to sort it out.

Dave

Just withhold your money until the caravan is moved off your pitch

2 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Just withhold your money until the caravan is moved off your pitch

I'm guessing they have paid for their storage upfront.

I'd be dragging the van off the pitch, and then deny all knowledge.

we had this once  with a car. We all had parking spaces behind the houses  and we went through a solicitor to change our's so that it was at the rear of our property. One chap kept parking his car in our space so OH put  our car in front of his, he soon came knocking.  Also where we store the caravan the chap next to us parked his van too near ours so that we couldn't park our's properly and it was awkward getting in and out of the van. Like you we kept on to the storage bloke , with him saying he cannot do anything, so I phoned him and told him that we would be away for a couple of weeks and when we come back we will park our van as it should beand the other chap would not be able to use his door,  all was okay on our return.  

The storage people allocated us a specific space of which we were told we must stick to our own pitch so I dont know why this person is getting away with this. If everyone just plonked themselves where they fancied, there would be total chaos. I'm getting in touch them again today.

It’s down to the site owner to grow a pair and sort it. The guy who runs the place I keep mine isnt the softly softly type. We have allocated pitches, the one time I know of someone parking in the wrong place, he sorted it in seconds with one phone call.

‘Get down here and move it today, or it’ll be on the side of the road this evening and you won’t be coming back in’.

Job done.

• Like 1

Presumably the OP cannot simply drag the offending van out as it will be fitted with security devices such as a wheel lock and/or a hitch lock.

It's normally a condition of your insurance even if it's in a secure compound, and some secure compounds insist on them too.

Of course they could be forcibly removed but that would open up an whole other can of worms.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Presumably the OP cannot simply drag the offending van out as it will be fitted with security devices such as a wheel lock and/or a hitch lock.

It's normally a condition of your insurance even if it's in a secure compound, and some secure compounds insist on them too.

Of course they could be forcibly removed but that would open up an whole other can of worms.

Just drag it with the lock still on it.

• Confused 2

Thanks for your comments everyone  I have been back in contact with the storage people and they said our pitch is now empty, at last.  He has pushed it into his pitch. Why couldn't he do that in the first place. Some people!

• Like 1

To stop this happening again (hopefully it won't happen again), put in a bollard that you can unlock and take out when your away with the caravan.  Situate it right in the middle of your pitch, so he can't park his caravan there ever again.  When you decide to leave the secure site for good, you can take the bollard with you.  Simples

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

To stop this happening again (hopefully it won't happen again), put in a bollard that you can unlock and take out when your away with the caravan.  Situate it right in the middle of your pitch, so he can't park his caravan there ever again.  When you decide to leave the secure site for good, you can take the bollard with you.  Simples

It has to be concreted in so you would  need the landlords permission which are not likely to get.

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

It has to be concreted in so you would  need the landlords permission which are not likely to get.

Someone did this (without permission) on a storage site we used to keep a previous van on and the site owner made them remove it.

(They did it as an additional security measure rather than protecting the slot from being used by someone else).

You have a contract with the site operator to supply a secure parking place for your caravan and you should point this out. A parking place outside the secure area would not comply with your insurance policy if it was declared it was stored inside this. At best you need another space inside and perhaps you could just use any empty space until yours is free.

The problem with this seems to be that if you cause too much trouble the owner might decide to stop your rental, so you need to tread carefully unless you have an alternate site available.

• Like 1