barcyn

No chemical waste disposal facility.

I'm planning to park my tourer on a piece of land next to a property I'll be renovating in Brittany starting in April.  It'll be at least 3 months before septic tank system will be installed.  In the meantime I don't fancy wandering around the site with a shovel everytime Nature calls.  I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts on how I can set up and use a cheap but effective facility to empty the Thetford tank into, without it ending up as a contamination problem.

Thanks in advance.

Down a public toilet loo?

Somewhere that there is drainage lift a cover and empty it?

People have been known to dig a hole in the ground to use as a temporary emptying point.

Local authorities may disapprove.

People have also been known to use something like an old oil drum as a temporary holding tank, but the day will come when you need to empty it!

Not been on a Caravan Club Rally for many years, what do Centres do nowadays, when we used to Rally the Rally Marshalls dug a pit and all Rallygoers dumped their Toilets in the pit. Someone will be along shortly who attends a Rally's can give you current arrangements 

Not sure where you are in Brittany, but where I used to live they had a waste disposal point going into the small town. (Morbihan)

Other than that, use the green toilet fluid and dig a hole as Stevan recommends. This seems the recommended way to get rid of any thing in rural Brittany, my neighbour had several holes dug in his garden  periodically then buried the rubbish. Tried to do it to my field when I was away but came back and caught him in time.

Composting toilet.. dick strawbridge made one on the program Escape to the Chatoue ..he used an old shed.

As Les said on rallies we used to dig a pit, if we were lucky the farmer would do it with his JCB, and then fill it back in at the end of the rally. It was always easier if the liquid had drained away.

Nowadays we have to provide a container normally a big plastic thing in a wire cage and these are hired from local firms who collect it and dispose of the contents.

As others have said dig a pit on your land.

Ian

Any local Aires with emptying points ?

Dave

16 hours ago, barcyn said:

without it ending up as a contamination problem

Contamination will only be a problem if you use standard toilet chemicals. As suggested earlier, "Green" fluid should avoid any problem

Dig a hole and tip it down. Failing that, if you use no chemicals at all, empty daily on your compost heap or what will be your new vwg patch. Nothing like wee and pooh for fertiliser. As a very keen gardener, I regulary answered a call of nature into a watering can and poured into the compost heap. Added to that, chicken muck etc etc

Russ

You could always make a home made composting toilet similar to a  Clivus Multrum.

1 hour ago, KontikiKid said:

Dig a hole and tip it down. Failing that, if you use no chemicals at all, empty daily on your compost heap or what will be your new vwg patch. Nothing like wee and pooh for fertiliser. As a very keen gardener, I regulary answered a call of nature into a watering can and poured into the compost heap. Added to that, chicken muck etc etc

Russ

Do what Russ suggests, but get a big bag of good sawdust.  Throw on a layer of sawdust each time you empty the loo (no chemicals so every day) and that will stop the odours.  When your hole is full cover it over with a layer of soil and label it on the top with the date it was covered.  Then start another hole, and do the same.  When you're ready to make your organic garden dig up the first hole and spread the resulting compost on your veg plot and then a few weeks/months later eat the results and then use the contents of the next hole, and so on.  You could become entirely self-sufficient from the mains, or from your Fosse!

Our daughter and son in law bought a property to renovate in the UK last year and for the first six weeks had no septic tank so they did exactly what has been suggested and buried the contents of their 'bucket' every day in the garden. Luckily they did have a quarter of an acre to choose from.

When my wife and I first started caravanning 56 years ago one of our favourite weekend destinations was the New Forest.   At the time, the Forestry Commission's rules on camping allowed touring caravans to pitch where they wished, providing that the pitched was not less than 300 yards from any habitable dwelling, and that they dig a hole not less than 12" deep in which to bury any toilet waste.

I bought a fairly decrepit  farmhouse  with a couple  of acres in Cornwall 40 years ago - because it looked nice - and we are still gradually making it habitable.

When  we moved in my wife  soon spotted that there was no kitchen, while I prowled around outside and  found where a few hundred years of sewage was accumulating.  

If you do not want to put your waste in a hole then you could look at the cost of renting a porta loo. This link suggests prices can start around £25 a week including emptying although it seems a bit low  http://www.site-equip.co.uk/how-much-does-it-cost-to-rent-a-portable-toilet