Bearing in mind I’m a newbie, I just trial fitted my Milenco Aero 3 towing mirrors.

I bought rubber ‘F Pads’ as suggested  for the BMW X3 mirrors which notch into the groove on the mirror trim.

Assembly etc was easy enough as you’d expect.

Just wanted some views (no mirror pun intended) on positioning etc.

I feel the brackets are a bit closer together than I’d have wanted. But due to the shape of the mirror at the outermost part and the narrow gap between the mirror glass and the casing, both brackets needed to be on the flatter top section.

Otherwise, everything seemed pretty secure.

13BC7C3E-1106-451F-8657-F068EFB3C4BA.jpeg

D38307AD-B71D-4FA7-99FE-0454C13D2E69.jpeg

2C26831D-661D-4798-93DB-F43265045EE0.jpeg

11655437-D017-4BAC-A361-8936BE666D13.jpeg

23D1FF08-30BA-499D-A663-18D4002D3ECA.jpeg

With my mirrors (Milenco) I have to fit them to the bottom of the mirror due to the curve on the top and no space between the glass and the mirror body.

This causes a problem!! They foul the door when the auto mirror folding is selected.

Note to myself; Turn the auto folding OFF!! Before locking the car.

• Like 1

Looks OK as long as you get a good view either side of the van. As you say the shape of the mirrors dictates fitting. I always push the inner pad as tight into the corner as I can get it in the hope that when they are re-fitted they line up as the previous trip.

• Like 1

Think the brackets are about right for the BMW mirrors because if you move them any nearer the edge of the mirrors you might crack the mirror surround (been there and done that!)

I did not know about the F pads so I have just ordered some - thanks for the info:)

• Like 1

I have Grand Aeros  on my Discovery 4 mirrors.

Originally I mounted them to the top of the mirrors but due to the angled profile and curvature of the bezel it was always difficult to get a strong clamp then one day after fitting them in wet weather one became loose and fell off on a busy road,

Thereafter, having bought a new one for the nearside I mounted them on the bottom edge and have not any problems since.

I have mine adjusted such that I can electrically fold them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnPat said:

With my mirrors (Milenco) I have to fit them to the bottom of the mirror due to the curve on the top and no space between the glass and the mirror body.

This causes a problem!! They foul the door when the auto mirror folding is selected.

Note to myself; Turn the auto folding OFF!! Before locking the car.

Never thought about fitting to the bottom edge tbh, but as you say risky for damaging the paintwork eek 😬 

21 minutes ago, compact said:

Looks OK as long as you get a good view either side of the van. As you say the shape of the mirrors dictates fitting. I always push the inner pad as tight into the corner as I can get it in the hope that when they are re-fitted they line up as the previous trip.

Yeah, all seems fine in terms of being secure. The top bracket is as close to the door side as possible as the mirror groove ends just where my innermost bracket is.

5 minutes ago, gmc15 said:

Think the brackets are about right for the BMW mirrors because if you move them any nearer the edge of the mirrors you might crack the mirror surround (been there and done that!)

I did not know about the F pads so I have just ordered some - thanks for the info:)

The F Pads were highlight to me by fellow X3 & ‘van owner Bristle Hound, so the thanks go to him. They minimise the risk of them slipping off, which seems to be an issue on some the the German marques.

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

I have Grand Aeros  on my Discovery 4 mirrors.

Originally I mounted them to the top of the mirrors but due to the angled profile and curvature of the bezel it was always difficult to get a strong clamp then one day after fitting them in wet weather one became loose and fell off on a busy road,

Thereafter, having bought a new one for the nearside I mounted them on the bottom edge and have not any problems since.

I have mine adjusted such that I can electrically fold them.

I’ll have a play around with different set ups, including the bottom edge cheers. Might have longer to do so if the weather delays collection day on Saturday 😩

• Thanks 1

Think you will find the bottom of the BMW mirrors are more curved than the top so might not fit well. I have tried my mirrors on the bottom of my  BMW mirrors and they did not fit easily.

Don't be surprised if the mirrors vibrates slightly - I have tried a few different makes of mirrors over the years and they all vibrate to some extent. The Milenco's have been the best so far.

• Like 1

I have an 69 Plate I Drive X3 and have used Milenco  Aeros and Grand Aeros and have no problems with the standard pads on either, I have had the brackets close together like your photo's and again had no problems if you are concerned about vibration, don't !!

• Like 1

Looks like mine do.  I have a Ford Kuga.  The mirrors fitted this car and my other car, a Peugeot 508.  Doesn't seem to be a problem with yours.  As long as you can see down the side of the caravan, its ok

• Like 1

Look great -just undo the top clamps and drag the bar out as far as it needs to be to see past the caravan sides.

• Like 1

we put little stickers on the back of each mirror so we know which is the left and the right side  thereby needing less adjusting each time you fit them :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joanie said:

we put little stickers on the back of each mirror so we know which is the left and the right side  thereby needing less adjusting each time you fit them :D

??? They face forward if you fit them to the wrong side - got the T-shirt!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

really

Edited by joanie

27 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

??? They face forward if you fit them to the wrong side - got the T-shirt!

If I fit them on the wrong side of the car mine  dont!! They just stick in through the (hopefully) open window,

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Positioning looks good enough to me buddy

I always switch the power old mirrors off when I have 'em attached. No reason in particular just a me thing lol

TBH I haven't attached my Aero 3's to the X3 yet so you've given me a heads up - thanks

You are unable to fit them to the underside of the mirrors as there is a big ridge on the G01 X3 mirrors

I already had the F pads as I was towing with an Audi before

The F pads for the X3 is a bit of advice from Milenco them selves, along with 2 other options

Scroll down to the bottom of the link

https://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/milenco-aero-3-mirror

'The BMW X3 Mirror is a particularly difficult mirror to fit to. It is also extremely fragile. Do Not Overtighten the clamps. We understand BMW are aware of the issue.

We actually have three solutions.

1. To use the F Pad our part number 4664 and mount on the top of the mirror housing.

2. Replace the Aero Mirror Clamps with Falcon Mirror Clamps 4220 and mount on the bottom of the mirror housing, taking care to ensure that the clamp is fully inserted and that the clamp pad is at least 3/4 of the way past the ridge which is underneath the mirror, when tightening.

3. You can purchase our Falcon Mirrors part number 3988'

• Like 1

If I put mine on the wrong side, I will be seeing the back of the mirror. 

Also, now I'm on my own, I'll be ok lining up the driver's side, but its going to be a palaver with the passenger side, trying to line it up.  I'll be in and out of the car.  Good exercise though:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

Also, now I'm on my own, I'll be ok lining up the driver's side, but its going to be a palaver with the passenger side, trying to line it up.  I'll be in and out of the car.  Good exercise though:D

A pal of mine would push the driver’s seat forward until the headrest was where his face normally is when driving - then get out, stand on the passenger side of the car and adjust the mirror to see the headrest.

It seemed to work well for him, and I remember he would hang a high-vis vest over the headrest to make it easier to spot.

John

• Like 1

Update: Put the brackets on tonight to save doing it tomorrow when collecting the ‘van.

Over tightened them and broke the trim on the edge of the mirror casing on my new car!

To say I’m livid at myself is an understatement 😡

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Is it a go on collection tomorrow then ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BM Bairn said:

Update: Put the brackets on tonight to save doing it tomorrow when collecting the ‘van.

Over tightened them and broke the trim on the edge of the mirror casing on my new car!

You must have to apply some serious pressure to the fixings to break the mirror casing.......

Sorry to hear that, I bet you are gutted, 😫 I must admit I have managed to crack the actual bracket over time, but never the actual car mirror casing, I hope it doesn't spoil your new van. 🤞

Hope the weather stays calm and dry for you..

• Like 1

That's a bummer, must admit I was never that comfortable with the Milencos' clamping system, mainly for the same reason as you,  but I also found them quite wobbly and actually lost one on the A1. 

I bought a set of  Repusel which are much better but after finding out about EMUK on here I eventually bought a set of those.

Admittedly it was quite an expensive journey, Repusel and EMUK were about £100 a time ( Milencos were free) but I think it was worth it, car mirrors are silly money now, EMUK  are vehicle specific, neat, solid and won't damage the car. An added bonus is you don't have to adjust them at every fitting.

Edited by Steve05
type o
  • Like 1

I’ve been using Milenco Aeros for some time now and get on with them fine.  They fit okay on my VW mirrors, give a decent view and don’t vibrate and wobble about.  Changes made by VW to the design meant that I had to update to F pads, but that’s not been a problem.  

Last year, in France, a pigeon flew into one of them and knocked it off!  I walked back along the road and found it, cracked, but still useable so I put it back on and carried on along my merry way.  For some years I’ve carried a spare mirror in the front locker but this time I didn’t need to use it!  I will, however, continue to carry the spare as I think it could be a problem locating a replacement mirror in deepest, darkest France.  Happy days!

John.     :)

• Like 1

When I started towing I used clamp on mirrors but soon lost one on a motorway and since then have used ones with double straps. They do not fit all mirrors and on our current car they are held on best with the straps crossed over. Once adjusted the position is maintained after removal since one arm does not move as easily as the other so when put on again they are still set the same. I find convex mirrors give the best view. As an example https://www.halfords.com/motoring/trailers-towing/trailer-accessories/ring-standard-towing-mirror---twin-pack-197734.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=xtqlqp&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555891|agid:49387675812|tid:pla-384275159407|crid:203456299560|nw:g|rnd:1935774866484775140|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006809&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LzbzJfS5wIVSbTtCh22RAUUEAQYASABEgL2CPD_BwE

• Like 1

Have same problem with the latest of the Picasso mirrors---no decent flat edge to get a wide space between the brackets. After losing a couple of Milenco's, I now fit them on the bottom edge and tie them on with twine. looks awful but when they come adrift at least I don't lose them.

These grips seem to work ok at low speeds, but useless when going quick or being overtaken by busses or HGV's.

• Like 1