Sign in to follow this  
James Donald

ATC

Hi , I wonder if others have noticed this if you have ATC on your caravan. When I am going downhill and there is a corner at the bottom  which starts uphill again , as the caravan swings round the turn the ATC operates and slows you down before the climb back up? Its happened a few times with my Pegasus GT 65. Not a big deal but just wondered if they all do it or just mine?.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, James Donald said:

Hi , I wonder if others have noticed this if you have ATC on your caravan. When I am going downhill and there is a corner at the bottom  which starts uphill again , as the caravan swings round the turn the ATC operates and slows you down before the climb back up? Its happened a few times with my Pegasus GT 65. Not a big deal but just wondered if they all do it or just mine?.

On 'van's we have had with ATC we have had a few 'activations' usually in the same spot. It seems certain conditions seem to mimic the start of a snake and the ATC briefly kicks in.

I have heard others report the same and I didn't worry about it because it re-assured me that the thing actually worked.

I get a few false activations, one when negotiating the exit to the storage compound. No big deal, but actually handy confirmation that it is working.

The only awkward ones are when driving across particularly rutted rally fields, sometimes stalls the engine.

No.  I don't attack corners at speed normally. ;)

https://alkoesc.com.au/what-is-al-ko-esc/how-does-alko-esc-work/

I have had it kick in over speed humps on caravan sites, the occasional mini roundabout, and on a Norfolk B road where the nearside undulated a fair bit.  The action does feel like it gives quite severe retardation, but it's probably that it's just unexpected?

Edited by Rodders53

24 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

On 'van's we have had with ATC we have had a few 'activations' usually in the same spot. It seems certain conditions seem to mimic the start of a snake and the ATC briefly kicks in.

I have heard others report the same and I didn't worry about it because it re-assured me that the thing actually worked.

'False' activation of the ATC has been evident to me ever since I first had a 'van with it fitted (9 years ago) but I must be hyper-sensitive as most people don't appear to notice. 

Upon 1st having  the Bailey  Unicorn (March 2011), on the trip home, I had an unnerving  'near miss' when going round an undulating  corner I had travelled many times without incident. The ATC applied so viciously that I thought the engine had stalled & the resulting reaction caused the car to swerve dangerously onto the grass verge. I can only claim superior driving skill saved the day (T-i-C) LOL.
Strangely the SWB 4x4 I had then was much more affected than the LWB I have now (I would have expected the opposite).  My present Swift Elegance is also less affected than the Bailey (it's 225mm shorter  but 100kg heavier!).  Why is anyone's guess (better weight distribution most likely?).
I have subsequently discovered several sites where this phenomenon can be replicated & to this day I have to take suitable precautions.  As stated by  James Donald, it can  happen at the most inappropriate times. I originally blamed 'over-adjusted' brakes but it has been the same all the time since so I assume it's just a feature of the system & have simply learned to accept & accommodate it.
My main concern is that the rear brake lights are not activated when ATC applies, surely this is dangerous?  I've heard screeching of tyres from behind me on more than one occasion! Annoyingly the one time the 'van went into a ' snake' (hit a patch of oil going round an island) it didn't activate at all so, overall,  I'm none too impressed.

It is it doing its job sensing a swing it is unhappy with.

Some units will find it more active, as those units are more twitchy, just as some driver's style will provoke more activity than the same unit in other hands.

I can get it coming out of small roundabouts, where I chose not to waste the momentum by checking the brakes, though I will add, at speeds that I am totally confident to use.

My take on it is "great", the system is working just fine, keep up the good work in case things ever get real.

• Like 1

It activated once for me when going over some big potholes on a narrow road. First thought I had hit something with the van before I realised what it was.

........mine has a sixth sense!

I have a smooth driving style so it normally never activates.

Used to leave my village go out on a trip........nothing.

On return, enter village and in exactly the same spot every time on a straight road at sub 30mph, it would activate.

Recently quite a large sink hole opened up in that spot resulting in closure of the road whilst it was filled in!

• Haha 1

Well Rodders , I don't attack corners at speed either , certainly not intensionally anyway , but the corner (and there's been more than one) may have tightened up a bit unexpectingly  catching me out and therefore needing a bit more lock than anticipated ! Anyway as others said at least I know its working ! The last trip I did I had just got a new car and although the towbar had been fitted with the wiring it wasn't the 13 pin setup and I did notice a bit of a slight snake in a strong side wind . It is now wired up for our trip starting Sunday coming. Many thanks for the replies.

Try towing on the Fen roads, my storage yard is at Northey Bank , the back road from Peterborough to Whittlesey. The road from there is like driving over a roller coaster, the ATC activates a few times, I certainley know it is working. Try doing more than 40 along there and the ATC slows you down again.

It is a reasonably common feature of my ATC, but having said that it doesn’t cause me any concerns, in fact exactly the opposite, because I KNOW my ATC unit functions, which is reassuring because it might just one day become necessary. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

False activation has been experienced here when the road changes camber rapidly.  This must fool the sensors. 

Well did my first part of our 6 week tour Sunday , 360kilometers from Picton to Christchurch, quite a windy day and no problems at all. Did feel the ATC activate a couple of times. I have wired mine up from the Caravan battery with a switch I fitted in the outside power point compartment, works perfectly. I have a 160 watt solar panel  which is charging all the time looks after the battery. I don't worry about the other complicated 13 wire set up as I run the fridge on gas, never had it go out yet on a trip. Just turn it of if fueling and on our 3.5 hr Ferry trip . saves me $600  ( app £300 ) which is what the rouges in NZ charge to wire cars up with that system. I have two vehicles I use to tow with so that is double the cost? Anyway I am happy so that's all that matters.