ALeesLLD

Caravan been through a lot

Hi all, 

First time poster. My caravan has been through a long summer and is now incredibly dirty. I wanted to use a pressure washer on the outside but I'm worried it might damage the exterior. Will this happen?

Just dont do it. The high pressure will get into the caravan at best and do structural damage at worst.

Bucket of soapy water and then rinse is the way to go

• Like 1
  • +1 2

I use a pressure washer for the pre-scrub and then to rinse off. It's good for getting the gunk out of the awning rails but I don't go too close and point it away from the window seals and vents, it's been fine. 

• Like 1

Safest way is to pick a cool damp day, preferably after rain, use a bucket of water with whichever car / caravan takes your fancy and either a sponge or a good quality car / caravan brush on a pole.

I use my pressure washer, not on the high pressure setting but on the fine mist ( almost like drizzle ) wide fan setting.

Give the  van a good soaking from a distance to loosen the muck, wash with the soapy water by whichever means you chose then use the same fine spray, the same way to rinse off.

The danger of causing damage or water ingress by using high pressure isn't just around window, door, roof light seals, when used anywhere there is a mastic or sealant joint on panels, roofs, awning rail etc. especially on older caravans or where the sealant hasn't been applied correctly in the first place, it can start the process of the seal failing in the future.

Always used a brush on a telescopic pole with a bucket of water. The bucket needs to be large enough for the brush to go in to it. To do the roof needs a step ladder. Windows are easy to scratch so make sure plenty of water is used.

Edited by Paul1957

I was always told that a pressure washer was a no no. I use fenwicks cleaner, always done the job for me

• Like 1

Pressure washers will damage the decals and start to lift the edges .

Dave

• Like 1

Use a hose but avoid blasting too intensely, especially window/door/lights/decals. Also fit your winter fridge covers if you have some to stop water going in behind the fridge. The best approach in my opinion is plenty of clean water from top down. Loads of soft brushing or sponging but be a bit patient as lots will come off if you give it a few moments to soak well. 

3 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I use my pressure washer, not on the high pressure setting but on the fine mist ( almost like drizzle ) wide fan setting.

Give the  van a good soaking from a distance to loosen the muck, wash with the soapy water by whichever means you chose then use the same fine spray, the same way to rinse off.

TBH, if the washer isn’t going to be used on high pressure I never see the point of going to all the trouble of hauling it out to the caravan, then running an electric cable and the hosepipe out to it, connecting it all up, then everything in reverse afterwards, including draining down the washer to avoid frost damage … when you can just unroll the hose and do the same same thing with the sprinkler.

John

• +1 2

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

TBH, if the washer isn’t going to be used on high pressure I never see the point of going to all the trouble of hauling it out to the caravan, then running an electric cable and the hosepipe out to it, connecting it all up, then everything in reverse afterwards, including draining down the washer to avoid frost damage … when you can just unroll the hose and do the same same thing with the sprinkler.

John

I use my pressure washer on low pressure to deliver the shampoo all over, then the clean water rinse followed by the Bobby Dazzler     Works for me.