Ireland, North and South

We are thinking about taking the caravan to Ireland this year.  I've worked in Northern Ireland, so know a lot of that area, but want to get into the south as well.  We are in the north east, so Cairnryan to Belfast is the most obvious ferry.  We have three dogs.  I'd appreciate any advice on travel, recommendations of good sites if anybody can help!  Thanks

Audi Allroad 3. 0Tdi - Coachman Kimberley Amara 560/4

I live in NI and tour all over the island. Do you want to go all south or a bit of both?

If you want to do both, head north from larne and you can stay a night or two in carnfunnock caravan country park. Keep meandering around the coast over the coming days and you will eventually end up in the the south (but more north than NI - very confusing but it is ireland lol), in county donegal. Scenery is lovely up there. Keep working down the coast and you will eventually come to sligo. Strand hill is good to stay at in sligo.

That will take a couple of weeks of energetic toruing.

If you want to go south only. Stay a night in the north after getting off the ferry and then head down the motorway and A1 to dublin. Kerry in the west coast is the nicest county in ireland imho but it will take 6-8 hours of towing from belfast. There is lots of good sites in killarney but my favorite is woodlands in tralee. It is great family site but quiet, walking distance to town, shops and pubs and within easy drive of the ring of kerry, dingle and loads of superb beaches. Best beach that way is Inch beach. The goes waaayy out but if you time it right on a warm sunny day, the tide comes right up to the dunes, all the while being warmed by the hot sand. The result is the sea being REALLY warm. Much warmer than a swimming pool.

Or go right down to cork. Loads to do there and blarney caravan site is really good too.

Hope that helps. If you have an idea of your route post it up and then people will be able to give you better advice on sites to stay at.

• Like 1

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I'm never sure if to treat Ireland as if part of UK or like travelling to mainland Europe EU from travel and car insurance, breakdown cover, GB plates, passports etc.   It does look as if people living over there  just treat this as one island.

Yes next year might be same or different so I think answers should just cover the present on these legal things.

PS.  I did put GB sticker on, made sure I had my EU health card, and made sure car had European breakdown and told bank I was going to Europe. I do have worldwide travel insurance.

Edited by David 38

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

A few of years ago we were going to take our caravan outfit to Cairnryan,  cross to Ulster and tour that beautiful part of Ireland.  What stopped us was that we had a dog and on speaking to the ferry operator we were told that the dog would have to stay in the car on the car deck during the journey.  This was unacceptable to us and we changed our plans and toured Norfolk instead . 

Best to check as the rules on dogs may be different this year.

Edited by bessacarr425

I use the Birkenhead to Belfast ferry and I did note dogs were in cages outside on the passenger deck level, I would assume the owners could go to them and walk them on the part of the ship, it's an 8 hours crossing.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

14 hours ago, WesleyP said:

We are thinking about taking the caravan to Ireland this year.  I've worked in Northern Ireland, so know a lot of that area, but want to get into the south as well.  We are in the north east, so Cairnryan to Belfast is the most obvious ferry.  We have three dogs.  I'd appreciate any advice on travel, recommendations of good sites if anybody can help!  Thanks

Check the ferry prices, they are pretty high compared to others for car and caravan, although CMC might offer discounts.

If you go, don't let them site you on the ferry directly opposite the bulkhead doors that everyone has to go through to get off the car decks.

We crossed on that route in 2016 and were sited by the bulkhead door, and got a nice big dent in the door, probably due to a passenger swinging a big rucksack.

Thanks for all the replies so far.  I should have remembered about dogs on the ferry.  Ours are usually OK in the car but we started using the tunnel instead when going to France.

Audi Allroad 3. 0Tdi - Coachman Kimberley Amara 560/4

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a ferry recently and noticed dogs being kept in cages outside on the passenger decks so I don't think that's going to be an issue for you.

I live in NI and have travelled all over the island of Ireland.

Like anywhere, some sites are better than others but a few highlights for us in the North include Ballyness in Bushmills (also a good base if you happen to like whiskey!), Drumhoney and Rushin House, both in beautiful Fermanagh. The majority of local Councils also have their own sites too.

Heading into the South, Camac Valley is a great base if you wish to explore Dublin. There is a bus stop right outside the gates.

Hidden Valley in Wicklow is another fantastic site, Woodlands in Tralee, and Westport House is a great base for exploring the Wild West of Ireland.

2017 Ford Kuga ST-Line X 180PS

2016 Sterling Eccles 590

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. . . .. . ..but the highest form of intelligence"