Warranty issues now dealer has gone out of business

I know basically this subject is on Swift but as my caravan from Dickinsons but a Bailey I'm interested too as I'm in same boat.

Joanie,  When you say Approved workshops what are they approved for?

Bailey will let NCC approved do servicing  but only Bailey approved workshops can do warranty work.  Of the latter there are none around within 20 miles.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/

The Approved Workshop Scheme is a joint enterprise between the NCC (National Caravan Council), The Caravan and Motorhome Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club. Originating on the 1st January 1978, and the only scheme to be supported by all of the major UK manufacturers* , 

before booking a service please ensure, by checking the scheme supporters page, that the manufacturer of your product recognises the scheme for servicing during the warranty period. 

I have copied the above, but if you check the scheme supporters page , you will see that the main caravan manufacturers are listed.

I have never taken any of our caravans back  to the dealers, one reason was the dealer went bust , another reason was that the dealer was to far away and since I am okay at the workshop that I use , each time I buy a new caravan I email the manufacturer just to make sure that I am okay with service and warantee work. In fact with one dealer a few years ago , he tols me that if he has too much work on he used the same  workshop that I use.

Yes Joanie your perfectly right about annual servicing but the Subject title is Warranty claims and work.

I have an NCC approved for servicing and Bailey happy too with NCC for servicing but he can't do warranty work.

Only Bailey approved workshops can get paid by Bailey and there are none around Bradford.

I would think Swift the same, are you sure Swift allow any NCC workshop to do the actual warranty work and pay them?

I'm pushing you on this because if they do I will be onto Baileys as to why they can't be like Swift.

Thanks.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I had our Elddis caravan serviced at a Swift dealer last year and asked about some additional work. They could not do it since Elddis will not let them have the parts. This might apply to approved workshops.

Possibly trying to get warranty work done at other than the supplying dealer is a problem due to lower labour rates. If they are busy and had to turn down work where you pay the full labour rate then they would not make as much. What if people offered to pay the difference, would that then get the warranty work done.

Edited by Paul1957

Yes I have thanks it confirms what Bailey told me and what I have posted above.

Is your NCC worksop that does your servicing and Swift warranty work in my Bradford , West Yorkshire area?

Regards, David

2 hours ago, joanie said:

in my earlier post, I advised you to google      Approved Workshop, I have just googled  Approved Workshop , Bradford, within 20 miles I counted 16 and in 30 miles I counted 35, there fore  I am sure you should be able to find one to suit you.  This is what you should do if your dealer goes bust. 

The OP has warranty work to be done. From Swift's website there is only one warranty approved workshop around that area, in Doncaster.

Edited by Legal Eagle

That will be around 50 miles then Bradford to Doncaster, 1 to 2 hours trip one way.

Regards, David

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

The OP has warranty work to be done. From Swift's website there is only one warranty approved workshop around that area, in Doncaster.

yes, David 38 put me right, . So what happens when a workshop services a van and finds that it needs work done under the warantee?

24 minutes ago, joanie said:

yes, David 38 put me right, . So what happens when a workshop services a van and finds that it needs work done under the warantee?

It would have to go to the Swift approved workshop who can do the work. First you would need to contact them to see if they will do it, then take the van for them to look at it, then they have to get Swift to agree to the work, then you have to take the van again for the work doing, then collect the van once the work has been done. Lots of trips to get it sorted unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

Messy for our Swift OP.

In my Bailey case I'm ok for an NCC approved as he as already done a previous caravan out of warranty work so he will be first port of call for annual services.

Should any warranty work be required will contact Bailey to see if situation changed, if not I will take it from there.

Regards, David

On 11/02/2020 at 17:39, joanie said:

contact Swift and explain your situation.   google approved workshop.

Already tried this...stock answer...look on our web site for an approved dealer...rang the ones they told me about...non interested or no reply to messages or emails..

On 19/02/2020 at 15:08, Paul1957 said:

It would have to go to the Swift approved workshop who can do the work. First you would need to contact them to see if they will do it, then take the van for them to look at it, then they have to get Swift to agree to the work, then you have to take the van again for the work doing, then collect the van once the work has been done. Lots of trips to get it sorted unfortunately.

And this is why dealers don't want get involved with warranty work ..swift will not pay the dealers standard hourly rate either....I have found 1 dealer who would consider it if booked it for a service which is not a problem but they are 60 miles away so 360 mile round trip with all the different visits

• 3 weeks later...

Update for Tonyj,

I can now conferm that Yorkshire Tourers at Bradford are now an approved workshop for Swift.  01133280977.

They are currently at my home giving my 480 its 2nd year sevice, hope this helps you pcv dave. Good luck.