Warranty issues now dealer has gone out of business

So having bought a new swift caravan from Dickinson's of Bradford June 2018 and they ceased trading two weeks ago I am finding impossible to get some warranty work carried out because no dealer is interested due to it not being financially worth it to carry out the work...tried to contact swift but no reply. Anyone else experiencing the same problem...Suppose swift have our £24000+ and aren't really bothered about us now..

They should be, as it would only be good business practice.  Unfortunately the van industry is not like cars with franchised dealers.   

Your van was sold by Swift to the Dealer.  The Dealer then sold it to you.  Good luck with Swift who may respond,  otherwise as you have found out,  you are limited to finding a dealer who is prepared to take on the work.  If not a member then you could try Swifts own forum called 'Swift Talk'.  They do monitor that.

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

That's the problem...if you don't have the service done then dealers aren't interested...The next service isn't due until July..I'm in Bradford west Yorkshire..

Join the Swift Talk forum, you aren't the first to have experienced this and Swift can be very helpful.  True, they are sometimes slow with emails (inexcusable I know), but posting on their forum will usually bring contact phone numbers etc to light.

https://www.swift-Talk.co.uk/

I went through this back in 2016 when a local Swift dealer closed, fortunately I found an independent Swift approved workshop (through the Swift forum) which solved my problem.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I have covered this in another Thread on my Bailey caravan from Dickinsons.

My situation is I've had contact with Bailey and they say I can have it serviced with a Workshop who is NCC approved and they can stamp service manual and it will be acceptable to Bailey, but if any warranty work is required it as to be an approved Bailey workshop or if they willing to do it another Bailey dealer.  I've contacted two nearest Bailey dealers and neither have answered as yet.  

There are no Bailey approved workshops anywhere near.

Have just had my first service at Dickinsons just days before this overnight closure.

So plan is next year to have service at Tourer World (2015) Ltd. who have done me mobile work on previous out of warranty caravans and are NCC and Bailey happy however Bailey said they can't do warranty work, only as above. So if I do not want any warranty work should be ok if anything comes up will have have to plan something.

Think Swift might well be similar.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

As i am in the same situation as tonyj (new swift from dickinsons) ,i have been in contact with Swift and was informed any underwaranty work reqd would be undertaken by  Coopers caravan services in Armthorpe in Doncaster.  Tel 01302 751478.

Routine sevice work im using  Yorkshire Tourers mobile service of Bradford  Tel 0113 32809  cost for single axle service inc 1 shot nuts £190  

Hope this helps.   Dave blenk.

19 hours ago, pcvdave said:

As i am in the same situation as tonyj (new swift from dickinsons) ,i have been in contact with Swift and was informed any underwaranty work reqd would be undertaken by  Coopers caravan services in Armthorpe in Doncaster.  Tel 01302 751478.

Routine sevice work im using  Yorkshire Tourers mobile service of Bradford  Tel 0113 32809  cost for single axle service inc 1 shot nuts £190  

Hope this helps.   Dave blenk.

Rang Cooper's today but no answer so email sent...cheers

21 hours ago, Tony J said:

That's the problem...if you don't have the service done then dealers aren't interested...The next service isn't due until July..I'm in Bradford west Yorkshire..

Tony, I'm not a million miles away in Huddersfield, and I use Peter Roberts Caravans near Honley. Its a family firm and they sorted a warranty problem for me even though I hadn't bought from them. Their approach was one of help the customer and hopefully they'll bring the van for servicing, which I do...

Dickinsons in Administration now. - LINK

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 13:40, chrisn7 said:

Tony, I'm not a million miles away in Huddersfield, and I use Peter Roberts Caravans near Honley. Its a family firm and they sorted a warranty problem for me even though I hadn't bought from them. Their approach was one of help the customer and hopefully they'll bring the van for servicing, which I do...

Thanks I will contact them

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 13:31, Tony J said:

Rang Cooper's today but no answer so email sent...cheers

No reply to my email..so resent

Not sure what work needs doing but if you used a credit card for any part of the purchase or used HP you have similar rights against the finance company as against the dealer if it was faulty. It might be worth trying them to see how they approach this. presumably any NCC workshop would keep the guarantee open.

The alternative seems to be to go to Swift if this is guarantee work and point out this work is their responsibility and you require it done. If they will not arrange for this, you will have it carried out and raise a small court action against them for the cost. Remember the guarantee is a contract between you and Swift given by them as part of the deal for you buying their make of caravan.

I think this is my next option.. tried ringing so many dealers and the answer is either no or no reply...what a shambles the caravan trade is...

Edited by Tony J
  • I agree completely 1
2 minutes ago, Tony J said:

I think this is my next option.. tried ringing so many dealers and the answer is either no or no reply...what a shambles the caravan trade is...

Ring Swift customer care. 01482 847332.

They are normally very helpful. When this situation happened to me a few years ago they sorted out a nearby Swift Approved workshop to service and carry out any warranty work.

That's OK with Bailey too if you have an Approved workshop lacal I haven't.

Two local main dealers gave no response.

Will now use local NCC workshop for service each year and should any warranty work be required will contact Bailey to see if they will authorize local NCC workshop to do it and of course supply and pay him. If a refusal they will see what course of action is next.

I would expect Swift and Bailey  in this area  over the coming months to appoint a workshop to do their warranty work, failing that a of hassle will be coming their way from customers.

Regards, David

Having tried contacting and trying to resolve some warranty work (warped internal doors) my best advice to anyone thinking of buying a new Swift caravan is don't do it...Their warranty is a joke and is at the mercy of independent dealers and if your dealer ceases trading or can't or won't do the work your stuffed... Customer services if you lucky enough to get through to without being cut off are reading of a pre printed answer sheet... Basically my warranty is non existent...

Edited by Grandpa Steve
Topics merged
14 minutes ago, Tony J said:

Having tried contacting and trying to resolve some warranty work (warped internal doors) my best advice to anyone thinking of buying a new Swift caravan is don't do it...Their warranty is a joke and is at the mercy of independent dealers and if your dealer ceases trading or can't or won't do the work your stuffed... Customer services if you lucky enough to get through to without being cut off are reading of a pre printed answer sheet... Basically my warranty is non existent...

Ive not had problems getting warranty work done, But I did have cause to speak to their CS team the other day and I agree it was a pain.

It took me 4 goes and long waits to get to speak to them. It was almost is if the system was set up so that if you waited on hold for more than 5 minutes or so the system automatically cut you off.

I presumed it was some sort of fault, but maybe not. 🤔🤔

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

41 minutes ago, Tony J said:

You do realise that you can apply that logic to all makes as the warranty situation will be no different when any dealer ceases trading.

If it's not too far, according to Swifts website, Coopers Caravan Services,  Unit 6A Gunhills Lane Ind Est, Gunhills Lane, Armthorpe, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN3 3EB, telephone 01302 751478 are an approved service centre so are authorised to carry out warranty work.

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/find-a-dealer/type/repairer

Edited by Legal Eagle
2 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You do realise that you can apply that logic to all makes as the warranty situation will be no different when any dealer ceases trading.

Beat me to it.

I have found Swift excellent in resolving issues to date but that was dealing with the factory itself not CS.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Beat me to it.

I have found Swift excellent in resolving issues to date but that was dealing with the factory itself not CS.

When my dealer went to the wall, Swift found me an approved service centre, local to me, that I didn't know existed!

• Like 1

I must admit that I've also found Swift (and my local dealer, Newport Caravans) excellent in dealing with any problems. In fact, the dealership found damp in our previous caravan advised me of it and repaired it under warranty. I hadn't even noticed it.

• Like 1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

On 17/02/2020 at 14:20, Legal Eagle said:

Ring Swift customer care. 01482 847332.

They are normally very helpful. When this situation happened to me a few years ago they sorted out a nearby Swift Approved workshop to service and carry out any warranty work.

Rang them...after 1 hour finally got through to be told take it to an approved swift dealer....I told them I had tried loads and they are not willing to do it....after 10 minutes they cut me off

49 minutes ago, Tony J said:

Rang them...after 1 hour finally got through to be told take it to an approved swift dealer....I told them I had tried loads and they are not willing to do it....after 10 minutes they cut me off

Why not contact BBC Watchdog program.

Regards, David

in my earlier post, I advised you to google      Approved Workshop, I have just googled  Approved Workshop , Bradford, within 20 miles I counted 16 and in 30 miles I counted 35, there fore  I am sure you should be able to find one to suit you.  This is what you should do if your dealer goes bust.