Merc to Volvo XC60, opinions please ?

I've been towing for years with E class estates, current one is 2004, pretty well faultless but obviously it's getting old.

I'm thinking of getting a XC60 2012 or newer.  Does anyone tow with one of these, do they all have self leveling suspension, do they have a good automatic version and what's it like for towing.  Whats the best engine version.

Thanks in advance

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

We have one of the last of the outgoing model XC60s, new in Sept 2017. Ours is the 2.4 litre 5 cyl diesel (220HP, 440Nm), 6 speed auto, AWD, R-Design Nav Pro with loads of toys.  Best towcar I’ve ever had, plays with our 1800kg MTPLM Bailey U3 Pamplona TA. We don’t have self levelling, it’s quite stiffly suspended, doesn’t seem to need it.

Incredibly economical for a big heavy car towing a big van. We get 28mpg (real brim to brim) towing on a long MWay trip at 60, you can see 50+ solo on MWay trip  if you are light footed. Doesn’t need AdBlue to make Euro6. Far more economic than our previous rig, Audi A5 Sportback 177HP towing a U3 Vigo 1550kg.  Never managed better than 24mpg towing, 46mpg solo with that. 

They say the 5cyl engine is good for huge mileages, shame they dropped it from the new (current) model range in favour of rationalising on 4 cyl engines (that do need AdBlue).

I see you live in Bristol, PM me if you’d like to visit and check it out.

DrBob

Edited by DrBob
Forgot to mention self levelling
  • Like 1

Had a 2014 D4 AWD, didn’t have air suspension, is a brilliant tow car and daily driver, changed from a C class estate. Have just bought a 2018 D4 again and this one has air suspension. First tow is this week so watch this space!!

FWIW have done the merc, BM’s and just about everything else in between over the years, admittedly not towing till recently and can honestly say the XC60 is one of the best cars we have ever owned, so much so for the first time ever we replaced one with another...

• Like 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

I have a 2012. Something to be aware of is the D3/D4/D5 are not engines, they are power levels. For the D3 and D4 the 2wd is a 4 cylinder 2.0L engine, whereas the awd is a 5 cylinder 2.4L engine, both producing the same power.  All the 2.0L are the same, as is all the 2.4L, the difference is tune level. That's why it was easy to get my D3 remapped to be the same as a D5, the engine is identical.

I just have the standard suspension, but it tows my mtplm of 1680kg twin axle caravan very comfortably.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

I'm looking for an S60 D2 or D4.  Just want to know if this is any good for towing.  I've a Ford Kuga at the moment, but now I'm on my own, I would prefer to tow my caravan (Venus 540/4) with a car.  I do know that Volvo don't make diesels anymore.  So anything Volvo that has a "T" is petrol, although most of you Volvo enthusiasts already know that:D

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

I'm looking for an S60 D2 or D4.  Just want to know if this is any good for towing.  I've a Ford Kuga at the moment, but now I'm on my own, I would prefer to tow my caravan (Venus 540/4) with a car.  I do know that Volvo don't make diesels anymore.  So anything Volvo that has a "T" is petrol, although most of you Volvo enthusiasts already know that:D

I have the D4 in a 2018 V90. It moves along quite nicely with a caravan on the back.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB