Sign in to follow this  
Scooby1

bit of reassurance on this combination please.

Hi All,

I’m looking for a bit of reassurance on this combination please.

I drive a 2017 E Class Mercedes with a kerb weight of 1780kg and I’m looking at towing a 2018 Coachman 565 VIP with a MRO 1522kg and MTPLM of 1677kg

The van has ATC and Al-ko hitch and alko suspension

The car has some sort of anti-snaking built in.

Taking the MRO 1522kg and the car at 1780kg that would give me a percentage of   85% there is a motor mover fitted so add another 30kg would give 87% (I presume the MRO is including the leisure battery) No problem.

Using the MTPLM I would towing at 95% (worrying)

But I will be putting all of my luggage 100kg in the and car and say 60kg wife and kids bringing the car to  1940kg

Using the MRO we would be at 80%

Using the MTPLM would be 88%

I would keep the van as empty as possible with everything going in the car, the car has wide tyres and air rear suspension, is has a towing capacity of 2100kg

I know the 85% is only a recommendation but I need a bit of reassurance that it’s not going to go bad, I have towed in the past but not a caravan, I’m not a racing driver and will have my 2 kids in the car 1 and 3.

If things did start going bad would the ATC kick in a correct the snaking ?

I really like this caravan it has everything I was looking for and is going to be a 10 year plan so I need to be as comfortable and confident as possible towing it.

Please be as honest as possible.

Thanks for any comments

Paul

The Towing Ratio uses the caravan's MTPLM - it's the only consistent ratio as any other can vary according to loading.

You are over thinking!

The commonly accepted ratio is based on kerbweight and MTPLM.

You have some towing experience so the guideline figure is 100%.

Even if you take the guidance as gospel you are OK.

You still need to exercise good judgement and common sense in loading and maintenance.

Edited by Stevan

I’d happily tow that. Just be careful with the nose weight. 

• I agree completely 1

Absolutely fantastic combination. And of course to put your mind at ease-you all should know how I feel about the 85% thing, your car is actually rated (and tested by Merc) to tow 1800-1900kg dependent on the engine/transmission. 

I had a 68 Plate E Class Saloon, I used it pulling a 1600Kg Coachman 520/4, it towed superbly, the only reason I got rid of it was that every speed bump I bottomed out, I had a Tow Trust Detachable fitted, I considered fitting Spring Assistors but after having a chat with the Tech Manager at TT was told that by fitting assistors it would only give 6mm increased clearance, so sadly it had to go.  You  would need to check the clearance of a fixed Swan Neck, maybe that would give extra clearance. I was sad to see it go as it was a brilliant car and lost a load of dosh as I sold it when it was only 11 months old and 10 K on the clock, not even run in

I wouldn’t worry towing with that combination.  

I tow 1500kg with a C class Estate C250 CDI which is 150kg lighter on the kerb weight of the car and only 75kg nose weight limit and have zero issues. I have the AMG pack do slightly stiffer springs which helps. I’d have zero issues with your setup just check your rear axle load rating on the cars door pillars before fitting everything into the boot because you might actually be better towing it believe it or not.

If you want some idea of how much the rear suspension will sink with a caravan connected, just stand on the tow ball and get somebody to measure the rear tyre to wheel arch top gap. Also put weights in the boot to around what you expect to be carrying. This will give you some idea if rear spring assistors might be needed.

• Like 1

The nose weight for the car is 85kg 

Thanks for your input everyone, Paul the car has air suspension on the rear so hopefully it will level itself, I think I can change the stiffness as well will look at the weekend. 

• Like 1

Plus if you took your car the the weigh bridge I’ll have a pint on it being significantly heavier than the published weight

Hi all my Confidence is growing thanks , this is taken from the MB site 

image.png.977ec727b192f6390b904f5b35127491.png

So my kerb weight is higher than i first thought 

Has anyone had a problem with snaking when having the ATC installed?

Edited by Scooby1
Added last line

Me thinks you worry far too much-having happily towed over 30k miles in the UK in every weather inc high winds, with a 1285kg kerbweight Dacia Duster, our BaileyPegasus Verona at over 7mlong and 1450kg, was brilliant without ATC! With a 2100kg towing limit you need to stop worrying and enjoy the caravan!

Another happy ex-MBZ tow car owner here.  I had both a 2010 and a 2013 C220 estate and towed a 1560kg MTPLM caravan.  The 2010 model was a bit soft on the rear so for the 2013 model I had the load-levelling suspension which improved things no end.  Towed all over the country with no issues.

I haven't told the wife about my concerns ,(she would kill me) is there any info on the nose weight of the caravan when it's in the factory state, when i'm getting ready to tow on holiday  i get the nose weight to below 85kg  by moving a suitcase towards the rear or front of the caravan axle  ? with a limit of 85kg what should i aim for.

Once again i thank everyone for helping me get my head around this.

When i get the van i will post some photos 

Kitchen scales and a stick under the towball to check nose weight. Max hitch weight of your caravan as far as I can see -download the specs from the Coachman website, is 100kg-so your car might be a limiting factor there-need to find out what your car's limit is and load the van to the lower of the two. 

https://assets.coachman.co.uk/assets/media/coachman-technical-specifications-2017.pdf

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car/48761-mercedes-benz-e-class-estate limit appears to be 84kg so aim for that. 

Edited by Jezzerb

Thanks Jezzerb

So am i right in saying that's the nose weight from the factory or is that the max i can have it from the caravan point of view ? can i lighten this by placing language past the axcel to bring the nose up? When i pick the van up there will be nothing with me to do this.  

The quoted figure is always the maximum permissible.

An empty van can be either nose heavy or light, so taking some ballast, maybe your awning, is a good idea when collecting.

Thanks Stevan,

This is my first caravan so no awning yet, but i'm thinking about the 40 ltr water container ?

Go for as close to the maximum of either the nose-weight of the van or nose-weight of the car (whichever is higher) higher nose weights tend to lead to better stability. I go for the full 75kg on my C-Class.

On Coachman web site it says maximum of 100kg is this when loaded ? my car has a 85kg limit. so if Coachman is saying 100kg when the van is empty it could be less? 

39 minutes ago, Pembssurfer said:

Go for as close to the maximum of either the nose-weight of the van or nose-weight of the car (whichever is higher) higher nose weights tend to lead to better stability. I go for the full 75kg on my C-Class.

No, it MUST be the lower of the two!

It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that neither is exceeded.

42 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

Thanks Stevan,

This is my first caravan so no awning yet, but i'm thinking about the 40 ltr water container ?

Fine, but it must be secured from sliding/rolling around.

• Like 1

Correct, so you need to try to get the noseweight of your caravan as close to but not exceeding 84kg. If you have a gas cylinder at the front of the van in the locker -but only one, you'll probably find it will be about that-if not as you say , shift accordingly-the water container won't weigh much and wouldn't recommend you filling it then driving-better to lighten stuff at the back end and store them more to the front eg cleaning materials , bedding etc.

I too have been looking at changing my car, so I always use the CMC website.  You put your car details, together with your caravan, and it will come up with the percentage.  Easy peasy:D