just found this on the nts website

The BTMA (British Tyre Manufacturers' Association) recommend that caravan tyres be replaced every 5 years and should never be used if they are over 7 years old. It's also recommended that caravan tyres with a high inflation pressure (above 50psi) should be replaced at 3 years and never used beyond 5 years, according to The Caravan Club.

8 hours ago, telegan said:

The BTMA (British Tyre Manufacturers' Association) recommend that caravan tyres be replaced every 5 years and should never be used if they are over 7 years old. It's also recommended that caravan tyres with a high inflation pressure (above 50psi) should be replaced at 3 years and never used beyond 5 years, according to The Caravan Club.

Are they out to make money?

Means my one year old caravan needs replacement this year !

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

8 hours ago, telegan said:

What is "nts"?  BTMA is a commercial traders association who's role is to promote its members interests (help them to make money). Similar to NCC. Take what they say with a pinch of salt. All tyres require proper maintenance and regular inspection by competent people, not just when they are of a certain age but right from new. The date mark on a tyre is there to enable traceability. There is no legislation about tyre age on vehicles, simply because there is no evidence to show it would be beneficial. Why doesn't the MOT include a requirement for tyre age?  

• I agree completely 1

Ern

50 minutes ago, Ern said:

. Why doesn't the MOT include a requirement for tyre age?  

We are talking caravans they do not have MOT.

But my car at first MOT did have a recommendation to have tyres changed at its first MOT for tyre aging, so tyres do require examination from time to time.

Its a bit sad the Caravan Club seems to be on the side of makers rather than its members.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

On 10/02/2020 at 08:11, Ern said:

What is "nts"?  BTMA is a commercial traders association who's role is to promote its members interests (help them to make money). Similar to NCC. Take what they say with a pinch of salt. All tyres require proper maintenance and regular inspection by competent people, not just when they are of a certain age but right from new. The date mark on a tyre is there to enable traceability. There is no legislation about tyre age on vehicles, simply because there is no evidence to show it would be beneficial. Why doesn't the MOT include a requirement for tyre age?  

national tyre service 

They are just another company selling tyres so their interest is to sell more tyres.

• Like 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

17 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

impartial advise would recommend 7 years from the date stamp or 5 years from the manufacture of the van if no date stamp is present

This is what I have always stuck to for decades and it's not got me into difficulties yet.

I've only ever kept one 'van long enough to need a change, and that was bought used.

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

We had the service engineer tell us the tyres were cracking at six years so there may be some merit in the five year figure for checking them. Having said that we kept our Coachman ten years without replacing them, so age should be a guide and not a rule.

An NCC inspection details age (Usually imprinted on tyre) and condition of a Tyre including tread depth.

Many recommend 5 years for changing not more than 7 years. I checked mine last year (5 years old) by removing the wheel at beginning of season and noticed longitudinal cracks at the bottom of the tread so changed them both. Exposed to direct sunlight and hot weather has an affect on their condition.

I passed an old caravan looked 20+ years (no problem with that) with a shredded tyre occupying half of the inner lane of a dual carriageway (dangerous for all). It looked as though it had been dragged out of an Orchard after being there several years. Is it worth risking a life for sometimes less than £100 for a couple of tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

we changed our van tyres at 6yr old , new ones fitted, now coming up to 5yr old have checked all around them not sign of wear or cracking so wont be changing them few at least 2 more years,

last year I was told that two tyres needed changing soon, but just had a MOT on our car which passed again with no problem,

Yet the spare on my car one tyre is from 2011, asked the mot chap if it was ok owing to the age he said no problem it was all good,  glad I did not change the last year

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

On 13/02/2020 at 16:27, Wildwood said:

We had the service engineer tell us the tyres were cracking at six years so there may be some merit in the five year figure for checking them. Having said that we kept our Coachman ten years without replacing them, so age should be a guide and not a rule.

Worth checking every year. 

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The simple 'secret' to extending tyre life is NOT to leave them standing under load over winter. I've always put mine on axle stands, otherwise never left then stationary for more then 2/3 weeks, & have yet to have a tyre crack or fail even up to 10 years old. Tyres do like being used/moved regularly & inspected often . I do realise that some effort is involved: apparently far too much effort?
I can only assume the neglect most people show towards their tyres is the main reason for the 'change at xx years' guidelines. They are, however, no substitute for the above.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I accept five years is a reasonable time period, the damage caused to a van may exceed the price of a couple of tyres after all.

Five years is a reasonable time period and two tyres is like 100 quid. Not worth the risk to keep them longer.

It should be born in mind that there are many instances of tyres failing long before 5 years (or 7 years). There is nothing magic about an invented time life (which is what it is, there is no evidence at all to confirm it's validity). The danger is that such invented  'guidelines' are peddled, & perceived, as gospel when in  fact actual tyre condition is all!
I repeat: there is NO substitute for frequent inspection & proper maintenance, suggested times are only that: 'suggested'.

• Like 1

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

A useful little tyre dating app!

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

14 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

A useful little tyre dating app!

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

John.

Is this caravan tyres or car tyres or both?

Regards, David

4 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Both - tyre manufacturers don't generally differentiate.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

It’ll be both, but for the majority of cars it doesn’t matter as they’ll be worn out long before!

Interesting to see they quote 6 years … ages ago 10 years was used as the maximum life, then it was reduced to 7, and more recently 5 has been based about … but that’s the first time I’ve seen 6 years mentioned.

John  

Michelin current website says:-

As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre ), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres, even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator

They do also say that after five years they should be inspected each year.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 minute ago, Jaydug said:

Michelin current website says:-

As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre ), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres, even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator

They do also say that after five years they should be inspected each year.

I've had Michelin tyres causing concern at MOT with cracking in bottom of threads at 3 years old!

Regards, David

14 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I've had Michelin tyres causing concern at MOT with cracking in bottom of threads at 3 years old!

I agree with you.   I've found similar with some of their more recent tyres.   Citroen cars are always fitted with Michelins at new and I've been having Citroens for the past thirty years.   The tyres on the earlier models were longer lasting.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com