Swift Tracker Option - New Caravan

Message added by CT Advertising

logoPhantom250px.pngSecure and reliable tracking system for caravan, motor home and car owners. High-quality security at affordable prices, tailored to your specific needs. Find out more

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Does the Compass come standard with a Tracker.  If not and you do want to buy a tracker I can recommend the Phantom Tracker which we have fitted into our Elddis product.  The unit came standard with the Tracker Retrieve which is useless as you need to notify them that the caravan is missing and this may be several hours after it has disappeared.  Enjoy your new to you caravan. 

The Compass does indeed come with a Tracker as standard

TBH I'm the same with my cars - if they steal it I do not want it back under any circumstances

In my previous occupation I saw first had what thieves will do to your prized car or caravan

& thank you

22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Does the Compass come standard with a Tracker.  If not and you do want to buy a tracker I can recommend the Phantom Tracker which we have fitted into our Elddis product.  The unit came standard with the Tracker Retrieve which is useless as you need to notify them that the caravan is missing and this may be several hours after it has disappeared.  Enjoy your new to you caravan. 

Make sure that the Phantom tracker uses a phone network with good signal where you store the caravan - otherwise the constant attempts to "call control" will flatten the leisure battery in less than a fortnight.

14 hours ago, Bristle Hound said:

The Compass does indeed come with a Tracker as standard

TBH I'm the same with my cars - if they steal it I do not want it back under any circumstances

In my previous occupation I saw first had what thieves will do to your prized car or caravan

& thank you

However don't you want to help prevent them stealing it in the first place?  Our Phantom Tracker alerts us if any one interferes with the caravan.  The police are then alerted.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Make sure that the Phantom tracker uses a phone network with good signal where you store the caravan - otherwise the constant attempts to "call control" will flatten the leisure battery in less than a fortnight.

We have a solar however on a previous caravan where it was stored in a poor signal location, never had an issue with the battery going flat however the caravan was used a lot more however a good point.

On 23/05/2020 at 09:33, Durbanite said:

However don't you want to help prevent them stealing it in the first place?  Our Phantom Tracker alerts us if any one interferes with the caravan.  The police are then alerted.

I’ve got a premium Alko hitch lock, 2 Alko wheels locks & an alarm fitted

Out caravan is stored in decent CASSOA Gold storage

If they still want it they can have it

You can only do so much TBH

I’ve made sure my van insurance is new for old

From personal experience ‘Police response’ would be sketchy at best. I would interested how long it would take them to actually respond

Locks and other similar anti theft devices help against your caravan being taken in the first place.

Trackers only aid recovery once it's disappeared.

I agree with BH, as nothing of personal value is left in ours, we would not want it back under any circumstances and as long as we can get it insured on a new for old basis annually without having a tracker, our subscription will cease at the end of its first year.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

• 9 months later...

Our swift Challenger 2016 has a Tracker Retrieve. You have to notify the tracker company and they track it. It uses VHF radio, not GPS, so has to be tracked by special equipment and has unique VHF anti-jamming technology apparently. The tracker company now wants £248 to replace the unit with another year subscription just because the battery only has around 5 years life, or £449 with 5 years subscription.  As others have said, I wouldn't want the van back if stollen anyway, especially as we have new for old insurance.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got any idea where the tracker module is on a 2017 Sprite (Major TD6)?  Sargent have sent me a new one, but the instructions on how to get to it to replace it are a bit vague

Edited by MartinJB
REMOVED SECURITY SENSITIVE INFO

7 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Anyone got any idea where the tracker module is on a 2017 Sprite (Major TD6)?  Sargent have sent me a new one, but the instructions on how to get to it to replace it are a bit vague

Wookie I just removed some content of your post for security reasons - please speak to Sargent tomorrow and they will assist - if you get nowhere please send me a PM but I am confident Sargent will assist you. 

Its essential for security reasons we do not publicly reveal locations of security devices as I am sure you can appreciate, 

Cheers, Martin

5 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Wookie I just removed some content of your post for security reasons - please speak to Sargent tomorrow and they will assist - if you get nowhere please send me a PM but I am confident Sargent will assist you. 

Its essential for security reasons we do not publicly reveal locations of security devices as I am sure you can appreciate, 

Thanks.  Realised that after I saw the other thread!  Let's see how I get on... 🤞

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Sargent tracker fitted to my 2018 Swift Quattro. As it's now over 3 years old they charge you for the tracker £95 and for the data connection (12 months £45). I think may still worth it as it gives a insurance discount but not sure how much and the discount changes from year to year.

As these systems are often ripped out by thieves and the batteries are disconnected before stealing I have just bought a GSM/GPS tracker module with built in power supply from amazon for £26.99 (SinoTrack Vehicle Car GPS Tracker) as it's cheap enough and comes without ongoing subscription fee's. You have to put in a Sim card but I've opted for a pay as you go O2 Classic sim (from ebay) as these let you roll over unused data without having to keep topping up. I'm planning to connect it to the 12 volt system and hide it away somewhere this weekend. With a little luck this will be the unit the thieves wont disable should the worst happen and if it's reliable I can cancel the sargent tracker next year. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.51.13.png

31 minutes ago, fogstock74 said:

I have the Sargent tracker fitted to my 2018 Swift Quattro. As it's now over 3 years old they charge you for the tracker £95 and for the data connection (12 months £45). I think may still worth it as it gives a insurance discount but not sure how much and the discount changes from year to year.

As these systems are often ripped out by thieves and the batteries are disconnected before stealing I have just bought a GSM/GPS tracker module with built in power supply from amazon for £26.99 (SinoTrack Vehicle Car GPS Tracker) as it's cheap enough and comes without ongoing subscription fee's. You have to put in a Sim card but I've opted for a pay as you go O2 Classic sim (from ebay) as these let you roll over unused data without having to keep topping up. I'm planning to connect it to the 12 volt system and hide it away somewhere this weekend. With a little luck this will be the unit the thieves wont disable should the worst happen and if it's reliable I can cancel the sargent tracker next year. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.51.13.png

Update, just noticed I had ordered a 2G version, as the 2G network is being phased out I cancelled and upgraded to the 3G version it's a little bit more expensive though £42.

6 hours ago, fogstock74 said:

I have the Sargent tracker fitted to my 2018 Swift Quattro. As it's now over 3 years old they charge you for the tracker £95 and for the data connection (12 months £45).

Sargent tracking is £130 for 1 year, £240 for 2 years or £350 for 3 years, this includes the airtime. 

6 hours ago, fogstock74 said:

Update, just noticed I had ordered a 2G version, as the 2G network is being phased out I cancelled and upgraded to the 3G version it's a little bit more expensive though £42.

Had a glance at the Sino Track and although I understand your reasoning it’s not a Thatcham approved tracker so will offer no insurance benefit or other added Thatcham accreditation standards stuff. Looks good value for money shame it won’t integrate to the alarm if you did ditch the Sargent tracker. 

Cheers, Martin

29 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Sargent tracking is £130 for 1 year, £240 for 2 years or £350 for 3 years, this includes the airtime. 

Had a glance at the Sino Track and although I understand your reasoning it’s not a Thatcham approved tracker so will offer no insurance benefit or other added Thatcham accreditation standards stuff. Looks good value for money shame it won’t integrate to the alarm if you did ditch the Sargent tracker. 

Just checked my receipt and I stand corrected it was £130 for the year, still quite a lot for something thieves are going to quickly rip out.  

I've ordered the Sino Track and will give it a go. After some further thinking today I'm going to power  it independently from a 12v 7AH SLA alarm battery (£18) charging from the main Caravan battery via a yx-1708 battery controller board (amazon £9.99) as disconnection of the Caravan battery would render the additional tracker useless after 2 hours. The additional load on the caravan battery should be compensated for via my solar panel.  The whole assembly should be just a little larger than the 12v alarm battery so I should be able to tuck it away discreetly behind a panel, cupboard or locker, I will just need a local 12v supply I can tap into.

I understand that this additional measure will not count for anything with my insurance company but its a belt and braces approach I'm taking and may result in the caravan being returned to me. 

6 minutes ago, fogstock74 said:

Just checked my receipt and I stand corrected it was £130 for the year, still quite a lot for something thieves are going to quickly rip out.  

I've ordered the Sino Track and will give it a go. After some further thinking today I'm going to power  it independently from a 12v 7AH SLA alarm battery (£18) charging from the main Caravan battery via a yx-1708 battery controller board (amazon £9.99) as disconnection of the Caravan battery would render the additional tracker useless after 2 hours. The additional load on the caravan battery should be compensated for via my solar panel.  The whole assembly should be just a little larger than the 12v alarm battery so I should be able to tuck it away discreetly behind a panel, cupboard or locker, I will just need a local 12v supply I can tap into.

I understand that this additional measure will not count for anything with my insurance company but its a belt and braces approach I'm taking and may result in the caravan being returned to me. 

It’s such a tricky one as blockers are another way of making a tracker inactive. Personally (and it’s only my opinion) I’d only add/subscribe to a tracker if my insurance mandated it, so I agree with you on the price/VFM argument. 

Cheers, Martin