Sign in to follow this  
Bristle Hound

Swift Tracker Option - New Caravan

Wondering whats peoples thoughts are on activating Swift's tracker on a new caravan?

Is it worth the £95?

Will there be a drain on the leisure battery when in storage?

TIA

Bottom line is: will you "save" more than £95 and any annual subscription from your insurance premiums?

It's not going to stop your van being pinched although it may help getting it back. The ne'er-do-well's will know where the tracker is located and will quickly rip it out.

Yes, it will drain the vans battery,  subject to any top up from solar panels.

Adding as many security features as you can makes it more time consuming for a thief to get around and hopefully reduce the chances of it being stolen unfortunately it does cost. As per previous post caravans are usually stolen by people in the know so the tracker will probably be ripped out. I do find it reassuring to be able to see the caravan is still on the drive when away for a couple of weeks without it.

Unfortunately it's so easy to block gps signals these days it's probably not worth it. Unless your insurance company gives decent discount I wouldn't bother.

We didn’t. My thoughts are that if the Nomadic Parasites steal it I really don’t want it back. 

I've had some quotes in for insurance

Cheapest so far is Swift's Supersure insurance with their 1/2 offer to new 'van owners

The tracker saves me £125, so with the £95 subscription I'm still saving thirty quid

I am aware it won't stop it getting stolen, does anything really. If the ***** want it no amount of security will stop them stealing it

Personally I'm not going to worry about it. Going for a new for old policy & if they want it that much they ca have it, but I ain't gonna make it easy

• Like 2

With my current insurer no premium reduction for having a tracker which I think strange so once the subscription expires I will not renew.

As it is new for old, wouldn't want it back if it was pinched anyway.

• I agree completely 2

14 hours ago, Bristle Hound said:

I would have thought that there would be a drain whether you subscribed to Tracker or not. The system has to be live for the tracking company to activate a subscription in the first place

18 hours ago, Bristle Hound said:

Wondering whats peoples thoughts are on activating Swift's tracker on a new caravan?

Is it worth the £95?

TIA

The Tracker is waste of space and as good as a wet paper bag as you have to notify them if the caravan is stolen.  Different story if it is reactive and notifies you if someone interferes with the caravan

My Trackers have all been reactive and they notified me. I don't renew subscriptions though

Edited by Easy T

3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The Tracker is waste of space and as good as a wet paper bag as you have to notify them if the caravan is stolen.  Different story if it is reactive and notifies you if someone interferes with the caravan

BH's tracker is on a Swift as is mine on a Bessacarr (Swift) and  the tracker company are onto me in quick time.

Not sure if BH's is the same system as mine.

8 hours ago, Griff said:

BH's tracker is on a Swift as is mine on a Bessacarr (Swift) and  the tracker company are onto me in quick time.

Not sure if BH's is the same system as mine.

Bit of searching the tracker fitted is -

'Swift Command Tracker by Sargent'

46 minutes ago, Bristle Hound said:

Bit of searching the tracker fitted is -

'Swift Command Tracker by Sargent'

Our system is a Sargent Stinger 310 with an EC600 power system.

The main battery voltage drops faster with the main switch on the EC600 on.

Usually switch mine (the black button) to off.

Any questions on the system give Sargent a call on  01482 678981  they are excellent to deal with.

I had a problem with an over sensitive PIR, they sent me a upgrade replacement to fit myself without the need to involve my dealer.

Edited by Griff
Description edited.
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2020 at 20:28, Ched said:

Unfortunately it's so easy to block gps signals these days it's probably not worth it. Unless your insurance company gives decent discount I wouldn't bother.

However a decent call centre would let you know straight away that they are no longer receiving a GPS signal.  Our Phantom tracker records mileage, advises us if the battery drops below a certain voltage and also does the alarm and tracking.  If our Tracker helps catch just one toe rag, that is an additional benefit.  :D

On 09/02/2020 at 20:28, Ched said:

However a decent call centre would let you know straight away that they are no longer receiving a GPS signal.  Our Phantom tracker records mileage, advises us if the battery drops below a certain voltage and also does the alarm and tracking.  If our Tracker helps catch just one toe rag, that is an additional benefit.  :D

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Maybe I should have said 'it's very easy to block gps and mobile phone signals' !!!! Scary but true. I wont post links but devices exist for less than £50!!

15 hours ago, Griff said:

I had a problem with an over sensitive PIR, they sent me a upgrade replacement to fit myself without the need to involve my dealer.

Same with us with our 2020 VIP, Phantom kept calling to say alarm had been set off, after 3 calls in the same night, well very early hours of the morn, I finally called their tech team next morn they sent out new pir got it next day, paired it to the system, no false alarms since, we must give credit where its due when service is good. Dont know why things take so long when warranty work goes through dealers, 🤐

We have it on our 2018 Swift but I will not be renewing the subscription this year.  It saves me £35 with the CMHC insurance so I'm ~ £60 worse off.  As we have a twin axle I hoped it would give some additional security, but when I forgot to switch it off before travelling last year I did indeed get a call from them to see if I had moved the caravan.  The problem was we'd been travelling for nearly an hour before they rang, a thief could have been a long way away in an hour.

there are 2 types of trackers, the first is the one where you have to inform the tracker people that your van is missing and the other one they tell you. When we has a Swift ,  about 1o years ago they installed the first one, which IMO is a waste of space