Fireman Iain

Why tow in this wind.

Went to the storage yesterday to check on the caravan at Strathclyde Park and was surprised to find there were as many as normal caravans on site despite the weather forecasts. It is fairly sheltered there but unless they are staying until Tuesday it looks like a hairy drive back.

There were even more there last weekend, but the caravan show was on so that probably explains that one.

Here in the Midlands a gentle breeze outside and not even a drizzle?  It did drizzle a bit earlier on but certainly not heavy rain!  Our area has yellow warnings to rain and wind????

Gusty in Shropshire with heavy rain, ground very soggy everywhere.  I don't think I would want to be on a site even on hardstanding.

Over the past few days I have come to realise why people ignore weather warnings.  How many times and we been advised of terrible weather conditions only to have normal winter weather?  After awhile people get tired of scare mongering by the Met office and ignore weather warnings. 

Most times they would be correct to ignore the warning, but on occasions they are wrong?  After the Michael Fish forecast, I think that the Met Office is now being over cautious in many, but not all instances.

On 15/02/2020 at 02:24, houndlegs said:

We'll, we're here and set up and having a cheeky glass of wine before bed.

No problem at all towing down, no wind at all to Talk of, though we did have an anxious moment approaching the Severn Bridge seeing flashing lights warning of very strong winds on bridge, until we saw the wind sleeve pointing at the ground :). I can only assume they put them on early to be safe. 

Anyone recommend somewhere around Exeter to go and watch big waves tomorrow?

from the phone call I had yesterday afternoon,  the A38 was down to one lane because of the weather, you didn't have to go far to see the waves. 

Well, I'm glad that I wasn't out in my van last night. Red flood warnings all over the place here in Derbyshire. I was woken at two, this morning, by the wind and rain lashing against my bedroom window.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Over the past few days I have come to realise why people ignore weather warnings.  How many times and we been advised of terrible weather conditions only to have normal winter weather?  After awhile people get tired of scare mongering by the Met office and ignore weather warnings. 

Most times they would be correct to ignore the warning, but on occasions they are wrong?  After the Michael Fish forecast, I think that the Met Office is now being over cautious in many, but not all instances.

I agree, we were forecast 50 plus winds yesterday all day, but we drove across to Edinburgh and back, and although plenty rain the winds were at the worst moderate. There was wind last night but it did not sound as high as forecast and there is none today so far.

We have been put off trips a couple of times by false weather reports, and when we ave ignored them we have not had a problem.

We do get the impression that they over do the weather to be on the safe side, although they were correct on some of the floods.

Plenty of flooding and high winds here in South West Wales. Also saw plenty of  tourists coming down For Feb Half-term this week towing and with motor homes despite the  red flood warnings and yellow wind warnings. Here is Newgale today and what’s left of Newgale campsite. No doubt be rescuing tourists from 7M swells again this week.

3C11FAB8-5062-45C1-BFBB-F47BDDF1AB35.png

Edited by Pembssurfer
Typos

13 minutes ago, Pembssurfer said:

That didn’t take long: Man rescued from Caravan by Helo.

https://www.facebook.com/190700107634446/posts/2727641657273599/?vh=e&d=n

Lots of devastation in this area, not far from our home. Friends have lost their Caravans on seasonal pitches just outside Abergavenny and we were called to move us from our storage site yesterday evening. Fortunately able to get it home today, but dreadful road conditions.

4 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Lots of devastation in this area, not far from our home. Friends have lost their Caravans on seasonal pitches just outside Abergavenny and we were called to move us from our storage site yesterday evening. Fortunately able to get it home today, but dreadful road conditions.

I live 1 min away from our storage site which sits next to the river and checked on it first thing this morning and was very tempted to move it to outside the house. If it had carried on raining into the afternoon I would have done. If it had of flooded that would be the best part of 50 odd tourers, statics and motorhomes making their way downstream to Carmarthen Bay.

• Like 1

Just seen news footage of idiots ploughing their way through floods in South Wales, water up to their bonnets, creating bow waves exacerbating the damage to properties. Should be prosecuted in my opinion, and billed for the extra damage. So selfish and thoughtless.

• Like 2
  • I do not understand 1

No choice!

Blowing a howling gale Saturday gone 22nd February, the wind through the trees was deafening, rain was cutting across the air horizontally, the flood water in the fields had waves upon them, but  I still needed to move the caravan from outer York some 31 miles to it's new home.

Put as much weight in the car as I could, Seats down the steel poled awning I bought last year for this very reason went in, spare wheel for the caravan I dont like the under slung carrier which I removed when we bought the caravan. A large bag of rock pegs, jack, etc,  but still keeping the nose weight maxed at 85kg, add the weekend baggage and food that was already in there I was happy with the outfit.

Hitching was a *****, flat caravan battery no mover, no one else around for help, why would there be!

Anyway off I went, kept my speed down to no more than 45 mph, but most of the journey was at 40 mph or under, had one mightier than the other gusts came along and bent the car caravan outfit at the hitch like a banana, but for the majority of the journey, even on the open section of the A19 was acceptable, I wont say relaxed because trust me it wasnt!

Now pitching up at it's new home is another story, we have a pond with a fountain, quite a large diameter plume, that too just like the intermittent rain was once again horizontal.

I'm amazed at how much abuse these caravans can take from the weather and survive.

The problem today is, having spent the weekend on site we now have SNOW, so driving home, even though solo is going to be yet again an adventure.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

1 hour ago, Wellys and Mac said:

No choice!

Blowing a howling gale Saturday gone 22nd February, the wind through the trees was deafening, rain was cutting across the air horizontally, the flood water in the fields had waves upon them, but  I still needed to move the caravan from outer York some 31 miles to it's new home.

Put as much weight in the car as I could, Seats down the steel poled awning I bought last year for this very reason went in, spare wheel for the caravan I dont like the under slung carrier which I removed when we bought the caravan. A large bag of rock pegs, jack, etc,  but still keeping the nose weight maxed at 85kg, add the weekend baggage and food that was already in there I was happy with the outfit.

Hitching was a *****, flat caravan battery no mover, no one else around for help, why would there be!

Anyway off I went, kept my speed down to no more than 45 mph, but most of the journey was at 40 mph or under, had one mightier than the other gusts came along and bent the car caravan outfit at the hitch like a banana, but for the majority of the journey, even on the open section of the A19 was acceptable, I wont say relaxed because trust me it wasnt!

Now pitching up at it's new home is another story, we have a pond with a fountain, quite a large diameter plume, that too just like the intermittent rain was once again horizontal.

I'm amazed at how much abuse these caravans can take from the weather and survive.

The problem today is, having spent the weekend on site we now have SNOW, so driving home, even though solo is going to be yet again an adventure.

There is always a choice! Sometimes the conditions are just too dangerous. I would never deliberately put my life on the line to tow a caravan 30 miles on the road. A van in the wrong place is always better than a heap of matchwood at the side of the road.

Clearly it is up to you to decide how much risk you are willing to take and the factors include forecast wind speed and the particular roads involved. To me, my life is worth more than any van!

In high winds, if I considered it safe enough I would put as much weight as possible IN the van to hold it down and I would not be driving fast enough for conventional stability to be an issue.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

On 09/02/2020 at 16:23, LeadFarmer said:

It does seem stupid to tow on that road with it being so high above sea level.

But what if it was their departure day whilst staying at a nearby site who wouldn't let them stay due to having no vacancies. Where do you go? Park up on the road somewhere for 3 days until the wind dies down, or take a chance? You'd like to think the site would let you store the van somewhere for  a few days, but what if they won't?

How are they going to force anyone to depart when the conditions are unsafe, and who would be arriving in the same conditions?

• Like 3

It's a bit different to last year    :rolleyes:

We managed to get away on Wednesday - up to Broadway CMC site from South Wales. Driving/towing not too bad then, but boy did the winds rise through the night and for the following days. We were due to tow home this morning, but saw the forecast and left yesterday afternoon during a lull. So glad we did.

• Like 1

So what is bad wind? tower cranes work up to 38 mph, of course they don't, and the wind speed we see on websites is taken at 10 mtrs above ground level. (by the way XC weather is a good site for wind rain etc) So i'm supposed to be picking up a caravan this weekend but I am worried about the weather. 

Edited by Scooby1

4 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

So what is bad wind? tower cranes work up to 38 mph, of course they don't, and the wind speed we see on websites is taken at 10 mtrs above ground level. (by the way XC weather is a good site for wind rain etc) So i'm supposed to be picking up a caravan this weekend but I am worried about the weather. 

Light rain and fresh breezes forecast for the Dartford area this weekend. Maximum wind speed 17 mph.

35 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

How long is a piece of string?

It depends very much on where you will be driving. There is a world of difference between typical suburban roads and open moorland or elevated motorway!

The official weather warnings issued on news broadcasts are probably as good a yardstick as any.

i need to tow from Brighton to Dartford,

For me it was all about being diligent.

If I hadn't have towed when I did the next opportunity would have been 3 weeks away, so had to be done.

It really wasnt that bad, kept my speed down on open stretches of the A19 near Thirsk it was incredibly gusty gales no real issue.

The biggest issue was setting up at the new place, we weekend their and leave the caravan for it to go in site storage, the caravan was rocking all over until I put the steady's down and then nothing!

I know it sounds obvious but I cant over stress the wind speed and strength, blowing side on to the caravan.

Then Monday morning, ***** me we had an inch of snow!

Edited by Wellys and Mac

With folk holding off due to recent bad weather, the next dry, fine wind free weekend we get will probably be a very busy one for caravan sites.

There could have been compelling medical reasons why these people had to travel.

Having said that, I would never tow over the woodhead, or snake pass, I'd use the M62 everytime.

7 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

There could have been compelling medical reasons why these people had to travel.

Having said that, I would never tow over the woodhead, or snake pass, I'd use the M62 everytime.

In High winds, I'd take the passes over the exposed parts of the motorway!