Fireman Iain

Why tow in this wind.

3 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

As above-first time out-maybe not, but speed is mostly the issue-don't worry about being a nuisance to other road users-if you feel it wobbling, simply slow down! 

If conditions are bad so I slow down, I do not bother about others getting annoyed, they would be far more annoyed if I did not slow down and had an accident in front of them. I would however at times pull over if a queue formed so they could get passed.

• Like 1

It may seem negative but a unladen caravan and first time towing it's unlikely to be enjoyable for anyone in the car. It's best to get off with a  good start. As I live in a windy area (ugly wind farms support this) I regularly tow in 30 to 40mph gusts but care is needed often the forecast is inaccurate sometimes less but sometimes more! Postpone if possible or if not could a friend who is experienced tow for you? I've done that before.

Going off at a slight tangent, is there any real danger as such in being away in your caravan in this stormy weather?

We're due to go to Devon on Saturday morning, we've brought the travelling forward to Friday night, was just wondering about the first couple of days in the storm.

24 minutes ago, houndlegs said:

Going off at a slight tangent, is there any real danger as such in being away in your caravan in this stormy weather?

We're due to go to Devon on Saturday morning, we've brought the travelling forward to Friday night, was just wondering about the first couple of days in the storm.

We have been on sites where the wind was so strong it felt like it would take the caravan, we parked the car on the windward side of the caravan to act as a buffer, so that car took the brunt of the wind and also acted like an aerofoil and diverted some of it over the caravan.

21 minutes ago, houndlegs said:

Storms can be dangerous.

There have been instances of touring caravans being overturned, or moved along the ground by storm force winds.

There have been instances of caravan sites being flooded by storms .

There have been instances of caravans being damaged by flying debris.

It is impossible to reliably predict whether these coming storms, in your particular location will cause any of these to your van.

How much risk do you feel comfortable accepting after looking at the weather forecast?

2 hours ago, houndlegs said:

In 2018 a caravan was blown over a cliff and a woman killed.  Just Google "Caravan blown over".    I guess a lot depends on where in Devon you will be going however the forecast in the Midlands is for it being very windy from about midday Friday and checking the Met website it states the same for Devon.  Thursday or even early Friday may have been better.  I would give it a miss as no fun setting up in a howling gale plus heavy rain.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

We have been on sites where the wind was so strong it felt like it would take the caravan, we parked the car on the windward side of the caravan to act as a buffer, so that car took the brunt of the wind and also acted like an aerofoil and diverted some of it over the caravan.

We were on a site in the Outer Hebrides during the worst summer storm they'd ever had - the site owner borrowed a 40-seater coach from his brother and parked it alongside our caravan to stop it being blown over - it was very effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houndlegs said:

it may be a good idea to contact the site before you go as apart from the main A38  the roads are narrow with lots of ups and downs causing flooded areas on the roads ,  also the lanes can be laden with broken branches especially around the South Hams area. 

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

We were on a site in the Outer Hebrides during the worst summer storm they'd ever had - the site owner borrowed a 40-seater coach from his brother and parked it alongside our caravan to stop it being blown over - it was very effective.

Similar last year at Machrihanish as I returned back from a day's cycling two of the wardens were busily tying down the more exposed tourers on site and strategically placing vehicles for the ensuing storm being exposed to the Kintyre coast. Never heard a thing that night being full of wee glasses of the golden stuff... ;)

GAS ....B)

I wouldn't let a storm put me off if i were there already-don't be bullied into driving any faster than conditions allow and you'll be ok in almost anything in the Uk imo. We've sat out howling gales in our van though if we know it's going to be that windy we don't choose the cliff face site-ie the Wirral, but a more sheltered one and we've only once made the mistake of putting the awning up when we shouldn't have-never again-it's not nice taking down an awning in  your pj's at 2am!!!! In a howler plus rain! 

• I do not understand 2

I would think the dealer will understand that you would not want to tow in the weather forecast and will be willing to postpone the handover, although if they have a lot of sales going out the next week this might cause a problem with the handover. Being fair to the dealer I would postpone now rather than Saturday morning.

The weather forecast is about the limit I would consider towing in and I have towed for near 40 years, so I would not want a beginner out in that weather. 

3 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I would think the dealer will understand that you would not want to tow in the weather forecast and will be willing to postpone the handover, although if they have a lot of sales going out the next week this might cause a problem with the handover. Being fair to the dealer I would postpone now rather than Saturday morning.

The weather forecast is about the limit I would consider towing in and I have towed for near 40 years, so I would not want a beginner out in that weather. 

Yes, but you may need to wait for the next available slot.

You should also consider the journey to be made, a long trip by motorway over the Pennines is very different to a few miles through the suburbs!

23 hours ago, david 1220 said:

Well they had nice scenic views........

It gave them a whole new perspective.

Thanks everyone.  The site is not on the coast,so no cliffs. Main road to the front gate, no lanes or ups and downs. Met office says low wind speed for Friday night(at the moment). Final decision will be made after work tomorrow.  We'll have to wait and see. 

On 12/02/2020 at 11:39, david 1220 said:

Well they had nice scenic views........

I took a neighbours dogs  a walk up there a couple of days after it happened, I don't live too far away, I thought it had been recovered the day of the accident, but was amazed it was still there and so took some photos.

If I get chance this evening I'll post them, including the scenic views. 😁

The photo's show the power of the wind up here, when you look at the distance it blew it, from where it started, sat on its side at the on the road at the kerb just after the accident, to where it ended up way down the field.

In its travels it was blown over a 4 foot deep ditch and a 4 foot fence without touching the fence. 😱

If you look a the first post on this thread  by Fireman , the ditch is just down behind the fireman and policeman and you can see the top of one of the fence posts at the right hand side of the photo.

5 hours ago, houndlegs said:

It is not pleasant being in strong winds in a caravan. Ear plugs are needed due to the noise and the caravan will rock with the gusts so sleeping is not easy. The drafts through the floor vents will be a lot more than normal as well so the heating will need turning up. I would part block some of the worst vents with a sock if not cooking but others will advise against this. Best to not pitch near trees in case anything is blown off.

We are meant to be driving an hour away to Shrewsbury, but these Yellow Weather Warnings are putting me off.

I think its a case of 'better safe than sorry'

We are going to contact the site to find out whats what

35 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

It is not pleasant being in strong winds in a caravan. Ear plugs are needed due to the noise and the caravan will rock with the gusts so sleeping is not easy. The drafts through the floor vents will be a lot more than normal as well so the heating will need turning up. I would part block some of the worst vents with a sock if not cooking but others will advise against this. Best to not pitch near trees in case anything is blown off.

I was away in the caravan till yesterday the wind noise, the rocking of the caravan did not bother us at all, me and the wife still slept and snore as thought nothing is happening as for heating I set the alde on 2kw with room temperature of 18 degrees was enough to keep the caravan warm.

But I will never tow if there is a warning of strong wind with gust of more than 50 mph

8 hours ago, houndlegs said:

I carry a set of storm anchors in winter months hammer them in and straps to the chassis for extremely strong gales. High wind Park the car as close to the windward side of the caravan as possible (as others have said) the closer to the van the more effective it works. But as you have not arrived yet try and get a pitch with the hitch into the forecast wind direction, as this in my experience is the easiest and most effective way to sit out a storm. 

Agreed in strong winds it is best to turn the caravan so the front faces the wind if possible.  Parking the car between the caravan and the wind helps, but it is second best.

If you cannot face the wind on your pitch I would see if you can move to one that allows this.

50 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Agreed in strong winds it is best to turn the caravan so the front faces the wind if possible.  Parking the car between the caravan and the wind helps, but it is second best.

If you cannot face the wind on your pitch I would see if you can move to one that allows this.

Remember that if the centre of the storm passes you, the wind direction will switch by 180 degrees - and in some storms the wind gusts can come from any direction.

Your insurance might not cover you if you tow during the period of a weather warning where advice is not to travel.

We'll, we're here and set up and having a cheeky glass of wine before bed.

No problem at all towing down, no wind at all to Talk of, though we did have an anxious moment approaching the Severn Bridge seeing flashing lights warning of very strong winds on bridge, until we saw the wind sleeve pointing at the ground :). I can only assume they put them on early to be safe. 

Anyone recommend somewhere around Exeter to go and watch big waves tomorrow?

• Like 1

On 13/02/2020 at 11:38, Fat Albert said:

It gave them a whole new perspective.

It looks like they just decided to take a side trip.

Camping club meets have been cancelled round here for this weekend. Shame really as there were Valentine's parties on. Safety first as it makes sense after last week's examples.