Sign in to follow this  
Fireman Iain

Why tow in this wind.

Some bright spark chose to ignore all the storm warnings and try and tow across the Woodhead Pass today in c80mph winds. 

Hope they weren’t badly hurt, but really, some people.....

B8B189E1-45B1-4F47-8DCD-536D6C8D0956.png

• Like 1

Absolutely bonkers, should be made to pay for putting the emergency services at risk in such atrocious conditions, totally irresponsible and nil sympathy from me...

• Like 6
  • I agree completely 3

You can’t legislate for stupidity.  

• Like 2

You have to be seriously tapped

• I agree completely 1

It does seem stupid to tow on that road with it being so high above sea level.

But what if it was their departure day whilst staying at a nearby site who wouldn't let them stay due to having no vacancies. Where do you go? Park up on the road somewhere for 3 days until the wind dies down, or take a chance? You'd like to think the site would let you store the van somewhere for  a few days, but what if they won't?

• Like 1

I can’t believe any site would force you to leave - for a start, despite what is booked they won’t be getting many arrivals on the pitch today, and it’s not exactly mid August.

Leave the van and come back to get it if you have to get home today

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

Just now, LeadFarmer said:

But what if it was their departure day whilst staying at a nearby site who wouldn't let them stay due to having no vacancies. Where do you go? Park up on the road somewhere for 3 days until the wind dies down, or take a chance? You'd like to think the site would let you store the van somewhere for  a few days, but what if they won't?

What if ... they should have gone home yesterday, in the calm before the storm - even if they wasted a night's pitch fee - the forecast of this storm has been all over the media for days so no excuse.

• Like 5
  • I agree completely 4

9 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

What if ... they should have gone home yesterday, in the calm before the storm - even if they wasted a night's pitch fee - the forecast of this storm has been all over the media for days so no excuse.

Yes, I know. But what if they couldn't for some reason, say medical?

I'm not disagreeing, as that is definitely a road you should never tow on in strong winds. So it makes me wonder why they did it, and if there was a reason other than just plain stupidity.

My caravan has ATC, so I'd be ok.

WP2.png

WP3.png

Edited by LeadFarmer

Unbelievable

(unless there was a genuine reason that they 100% HAD to tow over there on today of all days)

I'd put the wife in the caravan for some ballast!!!

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Yes, I know. But what if they couldn't for some reason, say medical?

I'm not disagreeing, as that is definitely a road you should never tow on in strong winds. So it makes me wonder why they did it, and if there was a reason other than just plain stupidity.

ATC will not stop the side wind from blowing your caravan over, so you would be no more ok than this guy.

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 4

10 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Tongue in cheek I'm guessing???

(I sincerely hope that nobody would rely on ATC to prevent the lateral force of extreme wind blowing their van over)

Yes it would 'kill a snake' but in no way would it prevent the van tipping onto it's side.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 5

15 minutes ago, Ern said:

ATC will not stop the side wind from blowing your caravan over, so you would be no more ok than this guy.

Thats got to be a 'whoosh over the head' reply? :D

• Haha 3

This happened on the A20 this morning. Stay safe everyone. 

image.png.b5a37be2da38b3237aab2481fadf8e7b.png

• Haha 5
  • I do not understand 1

24 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thats got to be a 'whoosh over the head' reply? :D

Maybe a wink emoji ( ;)) would have helped show that you were in fact being facetious ??

Andy

• I do not understand 1

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

Maybe a wink emoji ( ;)) would have helped show that you were in fact being facetious ??

Andy

Why, don't you believe me...:P 

• Haha 3

Bit of a silly person!

Bit of T cut she'll be fine!

• Haha 1

Hope he didn't leave the plate in the microwave! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

I have stayed over a extra day or even changed site destinations if a storm is on its way which is easily done if through the CMC .

This was announced a week ago .

Near 100 mph winds here in the South .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

WP2.png

Ssshhhhh! It’s asleep.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I really don’t think it should be needed for something so obviously tongue in cheek. 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Hope he didn't leave the plate in the microwave! 

Depends on which side of the caravan the microwave is located as to whether gravity may force the door open, or help keep it closed. 

• I agree completely 1

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thing is - it was forecast. We were away for the past couple of weeks and got home Thursday, chatting to a neighbour who said 'I new you would be back before the weekend' ..... Yeth ! It was forecast, how to get us a bad name.

I would rather cut a holiday short than risk our health. Sorry no sympathy more disappointment .

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 1

26 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I really don’t think it should be needed for something so obviously tongue in cheek. 

Clearly not THAT obvious for some :)

Andy

• I do not understand 1

Absolutely stupid people.  No site would willingly let them leave under such weather conditions whatsoever.  If they did, then they should be named and shamed.  I will, and have occasionally, contacted the site if I know the weather is going to be unfavourable to see if I could delay departure, and they always do.  They don't hesitate at all.

• I agree completely 1

Imagine if an oncoming  vehicle hit the van as it overturned ? Absolute dafty endangering other road users... Deserves all he gets... 

GAS ...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 2

Sign in to follow this