Bristle Hound

BH's Swift Elegance 580

Our quick caravan history

We decided last year, a couple of years of humming and harring, to take up caravaning again after quite a lengthy break from it

As we were both unsure whether we take to it again (as if lol) we decided not to fork out to many £ on an outfit

So we bought a 2010 FWD Audi A4 Avant with the 143bhp diesel with multitronic gearbox

This particular car had a factory fitted detachable towbar & 13 pin electrics

Shortly after collecting the car we bought a 2011 Swift Challenger 480 from a local indy dealer in June 2019

Pic on 'van collection day -

Pic 1

In 2019 we managed to get away 7 times, each over a weeks length to get a feel for things, our last rip being October

Surprise surprise we fell for caravaning once again

When we returned from our trip in October I ordered a new car,  a BMW X3 with a factory electric towbar. My main concern with the Audi was I wasn't sure the gearbox would hold out. It was starting to make strange noises TBH & to be fair with 85000 miles on the clock I felt it a little underpowered for towing IMHO

As we thought the Audi was a little fragile we decided not to tow again until the X3 arrived

As you could guess our attention wandered (as it does lol) to other, bigger, newer caravans

The X3 arrived late November & I knew I was going to struggle to get the mileage up before towing again in 2019

Pic 2

Once Christmas was out of the way were started 'properly' for newer 'vans

We started looking at twin axled 'vans & to cut a long story short, for us, we decided to go for spec over size

Earlier this week we left a deposit on a brand new 2019 Swift Elegance 580 at a local franchised Swift dealer

To get the deal we wanted was a bit of hard work but we got there in the end

We ended up getting what we paid for the 480 in June & got a decent % discount off the 580

Also getting them to fit a new Truma PowrTouch Evo manual engage motor mover

In getting a new higher spec caravan our ultimate aim is to try & future proof ourselves

We didn't want to buy another van only to want to change to again fairly quickly

Well thats the plan - time will tell lol

We were able to secure a non demo, 'factory fresh' 'van which we were extremely pleased about

When we went today to sort the paper work out the Sales guy said our 'van had been built in September 2019 & they had received it in November

All being well collection should be the 1st week in March

Pic of our actual 'van, pretty dirty but all locked up -

Pic 5

Pic's of a clean demo 2019 Elegance 580 in the dealers compound -

Pic 3

Pic 4

Very happy & excited !

080220e.jpg

080220d.jpg

080220c.jpg

080220b.jpg

080220a.jpg

• Like 1

Nice outfit, we have the same layout but on a TA chassis, just that little bit more space inside. Means we can have a large awning which we love.  Very pleased with ours. No problems other than those you can sort out yourself with a screwdriver and the daft Command control system. Just leave that and the Alde on manual and  turn the ‘stat up or down. Simples. 

0E1EDA45-8759-470F-8B79-954C5041249C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Nice outfit, we have the same layout but on a TA chassis, just that little bit more space inside. Means we can have a large awning which we love.  Very pleased with ours. No problems other than those you can sort out yourself with a screwdriver and the daft Command control system. Just leave that and the Alde on manual and  turn the ‘stat up or down. Simples. 

0E1EDA45-8759-470F-8B79-954C5041249C.jpeg

Caravan looks nice buddy

Thanks for info

I'm assuming the area to the offside of the van was where you had your awning lol

How did you guess? That was after three and a bit weeks though. 

• Haha 1

BMW X3

My pal has a BMW X something.

He put off the shelf screen wash in it and knackered the screen wash sensor.

The bill came to a few £ hundred!!

I have a 2017 Swift Conqueror 560 and agree with others.

Do not waste time fiddling with the phone app just use the above door controls.

Make sure you carry a spare PP3 battery for your mover.

Watch the you tube video on how to use the reset cap for your 13 pin cable-before it’s raining-getting dark and you need to leave the site at 5 to midday.

The pick up pipe for the water barrel should not be stored coiled up or you will get air trapped in it make sure it’s stored fully extended.

Switch off the PSU when you store the van-even in our Scottish winter the solar panel keeps the battery topped up.

At the end of the season measure the clearance between your mover drives and your wheels-I use a wooden block-takes seconds-mine slackened off-no drive.

• Thanks 1

New ‘van and car combo looking great BH.

Looking forward to the pics of when they become a couple :D

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2020 at 20:52, ancell said:

BMW X3

My pal has a BMW X something.

He put off the shelf screen wash in it and knackered the screen wash sensor.

The bill came to a few £ hundred!!

I have a 2017 Swift Conqueror 560 and agree with others.

Do not waste time fiddling with the phone app just use the above door controls.

Make sure you carry a spare PP3 battery for your mover.

Watch the you tube video on how to use the reset cap for your 13 pin cable-before it’s raining-getting dark and you need to leave the site at 5 to midday.

The pick up pipe for the water barrel should not be stored coiled up or you will get air trapped in it make sure it’s stored fully extended.

Switch off the PSU when you store the van-even in our Scottish winter the solar panel keeps the battery topped up.

At the end of the season measure the clearance between your mover drives and your wheels-I use a wooden block-takes seconds-mine slackened off-no drive.

Thanks for info

23 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

New ‘van and car combo looking great BH.

Looking forward to the pics of when they become a couple :D

Cheers buddy

• Like 1

I'm guessing you meant it was built September 2018?, if it was built September 2019 it would be a 2020 model as the production of the previous years vans finishes June/July

7 hours ago, Caravantech said:

I'm guessing you meant it was built September 2018?, if it was built September 2019 it would be a 2020 model as the production of the previous years vans finishes June/July

That what the Sales person told me

Will check when I next speak to him

May be it was delivered to the Dealer September 2019?

CRiS number check showing 2019 build

On a different note - I ordered two additional scatter cushions from Belfield Direct who are the original supplier to Swift

https://www.belfielddirect.com/

Fortunately the 20 models interiors are the same as the 19's so got the same as the front ones

£15 each delivered which I thought was a good price

.....Earlier this week we left a deposit on a brand new 2019 Swift Elegance 580.....

Going to look good hitched up Bristle Hound always look better connected, happy caravanning with it!

We have the same layout but on a twin axle so slightly longer, love it.

20191015_225612.thumb.jpg.9f9d21e6e9a392c1a43848482c14e5cd.jpg

Edited by Griff
Deleted some text.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Going to look good hitched up Bristle Hound always look better connected, happy caravanning with it!

Thanks Griff

Your combo looks gorgeous ! Confirmed by SWMBO who I showed your pic too lol

Hi BH, I hope you will be very happy with your new “rig” as we are with our 20202 TA Swift which I tow with a BMW 5 series touring.

Unlike others, I actually have no issues with command or the app and genuinely like it. I use my Alde heating connected to it along with my AC & fridge. Our only issues, that have been fixed under warranty are a non functioning grill and the hinge on the battery locker door exploded(?). No real drama though. In other posts some people have found issue with the mattress being to hard/thin. I am a big guy and find the mattress firm, supportive and comfortable.

fullsizeoutput_1e14.thumb.jpeg.1be5a1f3d3c4b807c053b6b3378ddf52.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, madasmad said:

Hi BH, I hope you will be very happy with your new “rig” as we are with our 20202 TA Swift which I tow with a BMW 5 series touring.

Unlike others, I actually have no issues with command or the app and genuinely like it. I use my Alde heating connected to it along with my AC & fridge. Our only issues, that have been fixed under warranty are a non functioning grill and the hinge on the battery locker door exploded(?). No real drama though. In other posts some people have found issue with the mattress being to hard/thin. I am a big guy and find the mattress firm, supportive and comfortable.

Another fab looking combo !

Thanks for info

Getting more excited as we draw nearer collection time 

Great back drop in your pic. Where was that!

• Like 2

Nice outfit BH, but surely another Audi would suit the van better though?;):D

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Steve05 said:

Nice outfit BH, but surely another Audi would suit the van better though?;):D

Thanks

& nooooooooooooo ... lol

-

Some interior pic's of the dealers demo 2019 Elegance 580

Ours is exactly the same

image.png.c4fc11d475cfb8977cf857c6cc50262a.png

image.png.bc36ba16df722900729dbd4b2e5bb7ff.png

image.png.c877272e97c04e2500ac07f2b04ef114.png

Edited by Bristle Hound
  • Like 1

Went to the supplying Dealer today as we wanted a final look, just to make sure, so to speak
We had a look at quite a few others while we were there & still concluded the 580 Elegance was still the best for our needs
Unfortunately we have had to put the collection date back a week until the 3rd March now
Could go back another week too
Hope those new Emuk towing mirrors arrive on the hurry up from Germany

-

Correct layout, if anyone didn't know already lol

image.png.9903e77927526f3b8b9f0719770f3b9c.png

Edited by Bristle Hound

Forgot to mention

1 check the bed slats at the front pull out and return correctly.

There was a problem with the unit lining up with the slats.After 18 months Swift came up with a distance piece that eradicated the problem.Fitted under warranty in under 30 minutes for us by Duncan’s of Wishaw.

2 Our security sensor(that’s it bottom left front floor cupboard in your pictures) went US after 2 years Duncan’s contacted Swift both concluded it was faulty when installed so fitted under warranty by Duncan’s.

3 check fluid level in central heating every few weeks of use and top up with the correct fluid ie either 2 or 5 year blue or pink.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ancell said:

Forgot to mention

1 check the bed slats at the front pull out and return correctly.

There was a problem with the unit lining up with the slats.After 18 months Swift came up with a distance piece that eradicated the problem.Fitted under warranty in under 30 minutes for us by Duncan’s of Wishaw.

2 Our security sensor(that’s it bottom left front floor cupboard in your pictures) went US after 2 years Duncan’s contacted Swift both concluded it was faulty when installed so fitted under warranty by Duncan’s.

3 check fluid level in central heating every few weeks of use and top up with the correct fluid ie either 2 or 5 year blue or pink.

Thanks for the info - appreciated

My dealer-Duncan’s of Wishaw check the wheel nuts are tight every time I collect the caravan.

The owner or the workshop manager torques the nuts in my presence before it moves.

I saw a new caravan by the roadside a few hundred yards from a big dealer the near side wheel had fallen off damaging the wheel well and adjacent bodywork as it went.

Well worth asking before moving your new acquisition.

• Thanks 1

On 13/02/2020 at 20:07, Griff said:

On 14/02/2020 at 05:24, madasmad said:

Very nice combo’s guys 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ancell said:

My dealer-Duncan’s of Wishaw check the wheel nuts are tight every time I collect the caravan.

The owner or the workshop manager torques the nuts in my presence before it moves.

I saw a new caravan by the roadside a few hundred yards from a big dealer the near side wheel had fallen off damaging the wheel well and adjacent bodywork as it went.

Well worth asking before moving your new acquisition.

Last year our caravan was serviced at Torksey Caravans and they torqued up the wheel bolts in front of me, first time I had seen this since previous dealers had not done this. I usually do this myself so saved me a job and it gave the dealer a few Brownie points.

On 14/02/2020 at 05:24, madasmad said:

Good to see caravanning did not die off in the 2030s with changing to electric vehicles :D

Edited by Paul1957

Just took advantage of Swift's Supersure caravan insurance

With our 580 being a new van I got it 1/2 price for 12 months

Subscribing to the Swift tracker was saving me £130/year so still £35 better off

New for old - £174

Which I'm more than happy about

Watch that insurance.

C&CC saw me coming and my new £27000 caravan cost me just under £500 to insure plus needed my Alko wheel lock fitted.

The following year C&MH cost less than half of that!

Only two security devices need be active eg hitch lock and alarm.

Took first £250 of any claim excess.

3 days maximum at home in any one visit.

We store at a CASSOA gold storage site.

Both premiums cover new for old.

4 minutes ago, Bristle Hound said:

The 580 Elegance order has now been cancelled

You can’t just leave us in suspense BH, any particular reason but, if personal, we understand you not wanting to go into details?