Sign in to follow this  
Moor01

Caravan rookie

Hi all, 

Just joined after buying our first caravan, a 2017 Bailey Pursuit 560-5.

After years of struggling to find all the camping stuff into the car along with the family we have sold the lot and bought a caravan. We are aiming to get away as much as possible and get as much use as we can out of it.

I’m picking the van up shortly along with a Kampa air ace 400 and a Powrtouch evo mover, hopefully this will get me on my way to lots of trips away.

• Like 2

Enjoy!

We’ve owned our Pursuit for 3 1/2 years and still think it’s a wonderful piece of kit. I keep looking at what to get next (we planned to keep it 5 years) but I suspect we will probably just end up keeping it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome  Moor01

We're happy with out Pursuit 2 (now!) and are likely to keep it a while.

560-5 info

There were a few niggles with ours, nothing terrible, just annoying, so the following may be useful:

Before your first journey & every now and then, take a screwdriver and check that all screws are tight. I've had cupboard doors detach and drop down table / work top extension fall off.  The blind frames will come adrift, so have some matchsticks or the like, to plug the screw hole to put the screws back.  You'll find that they have dropped down into the seat box!!

If you have cupboard door handles that are loose, but the screws are tight, it's because the screws are too long and need the ends filing / grinding, not much, but that's the cure.

Check that the glass cooker top hinge /retaining screws are tight, else it can detach and smash.  They are about £80 to replace, so it's worth a tweek of those screws!

If you find that the shower soap dish fills with water, drill a small hole in the centre, to allow it to drain.

The Combi heater / water heater is not like a domestic one.  Although it does both, it can only do one thing at a time.  If it's heating water, the heating goes off and vice versa.  It works well in warmer weather, but in the depths of winter it leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.  But once you learn to drive it, you can get by. Planning is the key!

Nose weight is all important, I find a nose weight scale is a good investment.  The AlKo hitch will take 100kg, but the nose weight will be governed by the lower of the hitch and the max towball weight for your car.

Don't exceed the MTPLM. 

Motor movers and battery weight comes off your payload (what you can put in it to travel) which is 165kg, so all your bits and pieces, clothing, cutlery, towels, bedding, food in the fridge, waste and fresh water containers and your awning, give them a weigh and total them up, to see if you can carry them in the van or if they need to go in the car.

There is a load of info in CT, on everything caravanning.

This may be useful too Useful info for new caravanners

I have a bloggy type thing on my Pursuit and my previous Orion. Just click on BONI link below.

Oh, and don't forget to remove and safely stash the microwave turntable plate before traveling.

Have fun and enjoy your Pursuit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WE had a 2016 Pegasus Verona-absolutely lovely caravan. If we had the water and the heating on together , after it had finished heating the water off the fan would blow to cool the unit-and an error code came up till it had finished so don't panic if that happens. WE had Truma Combi and we were toasty on electric only in any weather . We didn't have any problem at all with anything Bailey had done-other than silicone in the awning channel which I had to scrape out-and agree with the above-occasionally check the cooker glass holders but only tweek them gently! Ours came off in my hands once. Other than that it was a totally trouble free caravan with great build quality. We loved it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Wunny’s sounds like it has been built on a Friday afternoon - the only issue I recognise is the soap dish filling with water!

It probably helps that our van is half a metre shorter as the air temperature v water is never an issue for us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moor01:welcome:you must feel like you are in the lap of luxury after camping. At least you have some knowledge of sites etc.  plenty to learn though and remember you can always ask, people love talking about their hobby  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Moor01. Welcome. Do you have a B+E driving licence or is your outfit Maximum Loaded Car + Maximum Loaded Caravan less than 3,500Kg? 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Wunny’s sounds like it has been built on a Friday afternoon - the only issue I recognise is the soap dish filling with water!

It probably helps that our van is half a metre shorter as the air temperature v water is never an issue for us

Maybe your dealer checked everything before you collected it.  I'm sure mine operated a Purchaser Does It PDI. 

The only thing I had from them, was told what they do, when the entrance door would not open due to it being a hot day. 

My dealer suggested that when I do get it open, (no advice as to how) to trim off the lock bolt with a sharp knife.  I gained access by hosing down the door and body panels around it, which cooled it down, then seated the lock striker plate, by gently tapping it home with a hammer, (I put  a block of wood on it first).  Not had any problems with the door since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the warm welcome, lots of great info here too.

I pick the van up next Saturday, really looking forward to getting out in it, so much so that we have booked a trip to Nice in the summer, may be a crash course in towing but I’m sure it will be fine!

I passed in 96 so I’m pretty sure my licence allows me tow pretty much everything, as far as I know the restrictions came in in 97? 
The dealer I’m getting it from have a good reputation, they are giving it a full service and giving it a good going over to ensure everything is working and throwing in a starter kit too so I feel I have a reasonable deal, it’s also only 2 years old so still under warranty. We are also getting a nights camping at a field owned by the dealers for them to show us how to set it all up and how everything works, any issues should highlight themselves then.

• Like 4

One tip, If your on hook up MOST vans let you run BOTH the gas and electric heating so at this time of year you can heat from cold to toastie much faster, just remember to turn the gas heating back off again as the Electric will be more than capable of keeping you warm.

Oh and another one:-

With kids (sorry I am assuming from what you have said) Get a rhino tub for shoes at the door and Dont let anyone into van without taking of damp/mucky shoes)

You will either love the extra space and luxury or miss the proper camping experience.

We joined one of the big clubs and go out with the local District associations (not to camping sites in the summer) as you don't have to book WAY in advance or at all and you save decent money as well as go away with the same people most of the time which is VERY important for the kids. They love seeing the same friends and its much safer to let them run of to see their mates when you know all the parents. You either have no kids (a holiday in its self) or you have 10.....lol

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, baddon said:

One tip, If your on hook up MOST vans let you run BOTH the gas and electric heating so at this time of year you can heat from cold to toastie much faster, just remember to turn the gas heating back off again as the Electric will be more than capable of keeping you warm.

Oh and another one:-

With kids (sorry I am assuming from what you have said) Get a rhino tub for shoes at the door and Dont let anyone into van without taking of damp/mucky shoes)

You will either love the extra space and luxury or miss the proper camping experience.

We joined one of the big clubs and go out with the local District associations (not to camping sites in the summer) as you don't have to book WAY in advance or at all and you save decent money as well as go away with the same people most of the time which is VERY important for the kids. They love seeing the same friends and its much safer to let them run of to see their mates when you know all the parents. You either have no kids (a holiday in its self) or you have 10.....lol

That’s a great tip, one of many I don’t know! It’s going to be quite a learning curve, I’m looking forward to learning them all though.

We are off to the NEC show in a couple of weeks with the idea of joining one of the clubs, we will visit their stalls though and see which one suits us, we are leaning towards the Caravan and camping club though.

We have Have 2 children, a rubber boot mat for the awning has already been purchased! They are very excited about the purchase.

We have friends who recently purchased a caravan that we go away with regularly and it was their caravan that made my mind up, we had a very wet and windy week away at the end of August last year and it was a revelation going into their heated comfortable caravan after the heavens opened and poured into the sides of my tent porch, soaking most of the contents within, and myself whilst trying to stop it.
That was the final straw and I took pictures of the tent before we put it down ready for eBay, it sold and was picked up yesterday 😃

I most certainly will not miss the camping experience, we love the outdoor holiday experience, NOT the tent though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Moor01 said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome, lots of great info here too.

I pick the van up next Saturday, really looking forward to getting out in it, so much so that we have booked a trip to Nice in the summer, may be a crash course in towing but I’m sure it will be fine!

I passed in 96 so I’m pretty sure my licence allows me tow pretty much everything, as far as I know the restrictions came in in 97? 
The dealer I’m getting it from have a good reputation, they are giving it a full service and giving it a good going over to ensure everything is working and throwing in a starter kit too so I feel I have a reasonable deal, it’s also only 2 years old so still under warranty. We are also getting a nights camping at a field owned by the dealers for them to show us how to set it all up and how everything works, any issues should highlight themselves then.

Welcome aboard from another newbie.

My “New Guy” thread is just next to yours!

We also collect next Saturday and are excitedly / nervously looking forward to getting it home.

Your first trip away makes mine look a bit reserved haha, as we’re heading to our favourite area, the Moray Coast in Scotland which is a 3 hour drive in the car so a bit longer when towing (but a fairly straight forward journey on A9 and A96).

Looking forward you following progress and comparing notes.

:)

2 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

Welcome aboard from another newbie.

My “New Guy” thread is just next to yours!

We also collect next Saturday and are excitedly / nervously looking forward to getting it home.

Your first trip away makes mine look a bit reserved haha, as we’re heading to our favourite area, the Moray Coast in Scotland which is a 3 hour drive in the car so a bit longer when towing (but a fairly straight forward journey on A9 and A96).

Looking forward you following progress and comparing notes.

:)

Welcome 😃

We are planning to get away quite a few times before the France trip, I want to get as much practice as possible. I have only made the decision over the last few days to go with the motor mover, it will be fitted ready when I collect. I’m a bit more relaxed having it fitted, takes the pressure off parking.

Just had a look through your thread, looks like a lovely van, enjoy it.

24 minutes ago, Moor01 said:

Welcome 😃

We are planning to get away quite a few times before the France trip, I want to get as much practice as possible. I have only made the decision over the last few days to go with the motor mover, it will be fitted ready when I collect. I’m a bit more relaxed having it fitted, takes the pressure off parking.

Just had a look through your thread, looks like a lovely van, enjoy it.

We’re also planning some shorter trips to practice. We’re spoilt for choice with lots of good places within an hour to maybe do some Friday to Sunday breaks.

Ours has been fitted with a mover too. This was a must for me for turning in our driveway (means I can drive in nose-first then unhitch) and also tighter pitches on sites.

All the best and I look forward to follow progress :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moor01 said:

We are off to the NEC show in a couple of weeks with the idea of joining one of the clubs, we will visit their stalls though and see which one suits us, we are leaning towards the Caravan and camping club though

Thats the one we are in, We have a choice of 4 local DA's (its the hidden part of the club thats not widely  advertised), they stay in camp sites out of season with group discounts and in season they stay at schools, forest parks etc ie NOT fully serviced BUT a fraction of the price per night.

• Thanks 1

The new van is at last on the driveway. As part of the package we stayed overnight last night for the dealer to show us how everything works and how to setup and close down everything, a really great service and I’m very pleased we did it. We did get the full brunt of Dennis though but the Bailey handled it well and the kids were only slightly terrified. My thoughts are that it can’t get worse than that and we handled it well, my only issue that it was a bit warm in the night so I had to turn down the heating, gotta love a first world problem! 
The motor mover made it so easy to get in the drive, one thing I was concerned about, all I’m waiting for now is the for sale signs to go up on the neighbours houses once they spot the caravan! 
So glad we went ahead with the van, loving the whole experience as are all the family.

• Like 1

Delighted for you, congratulations!

Definitely wasn’t the ideal collection weekend, we were the same, but good practice for future trips too.

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing how your journey progresses 😀👍🏻

Thanks 😃 Pictures coming, she’s a bit dirty from the drive home!

• Like 1