Sign in to follow this  
Odds

Previous Owners

Having done loads of searching for the caravan I want, I recently spotted one within my budget.  However, reading the details it said Number of previous owners - 3  :blink:
This was a caravan that was only 4 years old, does anyone else have the same mind set as me and think there is a problem with it ? 

It’d certainly set my alarm bells ringing. I’d be looking elsewhere unless the dealer has a very good and believable reason. 

• I agree completely 1

it could be okay, a pal of mine sold their van after a few months as she couldn't easily get out to the loo at night , we usually change every 3 years, we don't mean to it just works out like that, so that's 2 . However , if you're not sure, leave it and walk away, there'll be another one along soon. 

7 hours ago, Odds said:

Having done loads of searching for the caravan I want, I recently spotted one within my budget.  However, reading the details it said Number of previous owners - 3  :blink:
This was a caravan that was only 4 years old, does anyone else have the same mind set as me and think there is a problem with it ? 

That would raise alarm bells with me, things like damp, accident, delamination, stolen recovered etc etc spring to mind.

Of course it could be perfectly innocent reasons but I would certainly be asking some probing questions before even considering parting with any money.

There are loads of used vans out there.

• I agree completely 2

I wouldn’t simply dismiss it out of hand, but, like others, I would be asking a few questions.

Having said that I find it a bit hard to believe that THREE owners in such quick succession would each find enough  physically “wrong” with a caravan to warrant getting rid of it (and taking a financial hit in the process) Especially as for the majority of that time it would still have been under the manufacturers warranty so any repairs wouldn’t have cost the then owner!  Is it a model that’s quirky in some way, or a standard run of the mill model?

Is it a private or dealer selling it? If a dealer Does it come with a decent warranty?  If it does then that gives you a “safety net”  just in case.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Generally, how would you know how many owners a van has had?

1 hour ago, joanie said:

it could be okay, a pal of mine sold their van after a few months as she couldn't easily get out to the loo at night , we usually change every 3 years, we don't mean to it just works out like that, so that's 2 . However , if you're not sure, leave it and walk away, there'll be another one along soon. 

Yes I bought one which was only one years use and was told previous owner hadn't liked it and in any event they changed regularly.  Was from my regular dealer who I consider as being OK to deal with.  Was a great caravan and we used it several years.    But the OP says 3 people used it more or less one season each !

Could the OP tell us make and model and it's year so maybe others that have one can comment if it does have a feature hard to get on with even if OK in condition like you had with using loo at night.

4 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

From an honest dealer? Can't think of any other way to find out.

Yes can you give us more details about the caravan, make and year might flag up some further comments.

7 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

I'm not a fan of CHRIS but would they tell him?

The caravans paperwork book would that show use of warranty transfers applications?

Previous owners invoices etc. still in caravan folder?

Edited by David 38

Reads as if the previous owners may have rejected the caravan for some reason or other?

3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Reads as if the previous owners may have rejected the caravan for some reason or other?

An assumption based on no evidence whatsoever OTHER than your personal suspicions, which could of course, be 100% wrong! 

As I said is it likely, or even credible, that THREE owners all rejected a caravan whilst it was still under warranty? Yes it IS possible but pretty unlikely!

Andy

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

An assumption based on no evidence whatsoever OTHER than your personal suspicions, which could of course, be 100% wrong! 

As I said is it likely, or even credible, that THREE owners all rejected a caravan whilst it was still under warranty? Yes it IS possible but pretty unlikely!

Andy

Are there any credible explanations at all? All the possibilities are unlikely but one or more actually happened.

most caravans/motorhomes have multiple owners in short space of time, where the average ownership cycle used to be 5-7 years, its now down to around 2 years in a lot of cases, number of owners doesn't affect its value unlike cars, and isn't always painting a negative picture of the caravan itself.

even in a worst case scenario the van has been rejected at some point, it goes back to the factory to have the rejection issue sorted, so again in a way makes it irrelevant in a way (unless its been rejected multiple times, which I have never heard of)

My BIL just bought a 2016 caravan from a (not well known) motorhome dealer in Surrey. It was me that alerted him to it and since he lived only 10miles away went and looked...and bought it on the spot.  Needless to say I was a bit apprehensive I had suggested it.   

It was Swift Conqueror that was £5000 under list price. The published story was it has been damaged unloading it from the delivery transporter. unclear where and what dealership as THEY didn’t sell Swift caravans.  It had documentation saying it had a ‘warranty’ repair and looked immaculate. The seats had still got their poly wrapping on and it looked brand new. And yet it was 3 years old?

My BIL is a pretty laidback, should I say vague, person and hasn’t pursued the points I raised...

Where has it been for 3 years? Was the repair a Swift factory repair? (He’s not really studied the warranty 🤔) Has it had an annual service in the 3 years?  A host of questions I would have been pursuing. 

With use, they now feel the caravan isn’t new, having discovered minor signs of cup marks in places and the odd bit of paper. They could have been the repairers? My concern was ....if it was damaged on delivery, why wait 3 years for it to be repaired?

I suspect the story given to him hasn’t been fully dissected and explored (he’s like that). I even wondered if it was an exhibition model that never got sold and was parked somewhere as a display somewhere. Without investigating he will never know.

But the bottom line is he got a Conqueror for £5000 less than other dealers prices, it’s likely to have no warranty status with Swift but does that matter? I guess from bodywork and water ingress yes it might, but on the face of it he’s got a good looking caravan cheap.

He has done nothing to investigate it’s true origins and status before or since the purchase. I wouldn’t have been that brave.

Edited by ericfield

There are people who buy a caravan or MH and trade it in or sell it within a year because they a. find they don't like it, b. find they don't like MHs, c. have health issues.

It is inevitable that occasionally a van will get this with three successive owners.

I would not be overly worried IF the price was right AND it passed very careful scrutiny and a test drive.

Last June we bought a 2018 Buccaneer privately from the 2nd owner. The first owner had it new and was diagnosed with cancer and subsequently passed away having used the caravan vvvvvv little (I did some research and can see he did sadly pass away in the time-frame as explained). The 2nd owner used it for one weekend and hated caravanning so sold it........to us. So 16 months old and 2 owners but no issues.

Last Nov I bought a 13 month old Compass for my elderly parents. The 1st owners bought it new, used it just a few times and decided they did not want to make up the beds each night (2 berth) so traded it in for an older, lower spec model but parted with no extra cash). We bought it from the dealer who traded it in.

There can be legitimate reasons for previous ownership but is always best to be vigilant and wary.

a CRiS check online will advise number of previous owners and date registration changed each time.

• Like 1

Just now, VOLVOVANNER said:

a CRiS check online will advise number of previous owners and date registration changed each time.

Thanks.

Every day is a school day 😀

You can buy a car that is pre registered so only has delivery miles and a few months on it but you would then be the second owner. Does something similar happen with caravans ?

3 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

You can buy a car that is pre registered so only has delivery miles and a few months on it but you would then be the second owner. Does something similar happen with caravans ?

Doubt it think the two are completely different.

Wouldn’t worry me - many caravanners are fickle beasts and turned by the latest ‘must have’ on a site.

The first holiday we went on the bloke next door was on his 4th van in 3 years as either he or his wife kept changing their minds about what they wanted!

25 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

motorhomes possibly, caravans no.

3 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

According to CRiS my 'van, bought used at 2 years old, has only had 1 owner, ME. I cannot feel confident with a system which I can show has problems. However it is slightly better than nothing. :(

It would ring alarm bells with me but I would ask the seller about this and see if you get an acceptable answer. An independent engineers inspection should cost about £150 and might be worthwhile if you can arrange it.

8 hours ago, David 38 said:

Could the OP tell us make and model and it's year so maybe others that have one can comment if it does have a feature hard to get on with even if OK in condition like you had with using loo at night.

It is a Bailey Cadiz 2016 model.  I came across it on Ebay, listed by a dealer based in Somerset, where it states 3 previous owners, I checked on their website and I can't see any mention of previous owners.

I don't know if links to products are allowed, but an Ebay search for that model will show it about the 14th listing and the cost is £16995 which seems to be the top end of prices for that model.

Sign in to follow this