2020 Discovery Sport 180 bhp SE diesel.

Hi sorry if it’s been discussed before. Had a test drive today and quite liked it but a friend made a comment about ingenium engine no good. Cheers Scoobz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put the moonboots away   Dieselgate has nothing to do with reliability or my Volkswagen 

The OP's asking about a Discovery Sport - not a Mazda !

Posted Images

Scoobz, don’t think the latest DS has been discussed … but the Ingenium engine has.

I’ll just repeat the short ’phone conversation I had a few weeks ago with the local LR salesman who I had an appointment with later in the day  to see a 4 year old car…

Me - To save a wasted journey, could you tell me which engine is in this Discovery?

Salesman - Er, I’m afraid that’ll be an Ingenium, sir.

Me - In that case, please cancel my appointment as I won’t be buying the car.

Salesman - I quite understand, sir. Thanks for letting me know, goodbye.

John.

33 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Scoobz, don’t think the latest DS has been discussed … but the Ingenium engine has.

I’ll just repeat the short ’phone conversation I had a few weeks ago with the local LR salesman who I had an appointment with later in the day  to see a 4 year old car…

Me - To save a wasted journey, could you tell me which engine is in this Discovery?

Salesman - Er, I’m afraid that’ll be an Ingenium, sir.

Me - In that case, please cancel my appointment as I won’t be buying the car.

Salesman - I quite understand, sir. Thanks for letting me know, goodbye.

John.

Hi john, thanks for the quick reply. Forgive me for asking is it the same identical engine  as from four years ago or is it all ingenium engines which are the problem. Sorry not up on engines.

Ingenium engine in mine! Been faultless. One extra oil change in 33,000 miles! I believe oil should be changed every year, not every two!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We had a look at the discovery sport in 2018and when sitting in it I got the "I like this car" but it was to late for a test drive that and we arranged for a test drive the next day.

When I got home I started to read about it on land rover forums and there was so many problems with it and not only the ingenium engines that next day I called and cancelled the test drive. Suggest you read forums yourself for their opinions. People on car forums are usually proud and protective of their car but none of that on discovery sport forums!

• Like 1

How sad that a once revered British manufacturer, of an otherwise pretty decent bit of kit, now seems beset with problems with the most important component. I believe the Jaguar XF is fitted with the same engine? 

I am sure I read a post on this forum a while back where someone said they had needed LR  engine being replaced before the cars first service from new. 

My suggestion to the OP would be to do your research very thoroughly before parting with such a large amount of money. 

Out of interest what are the prices like of a used version? If they are low then ask yourself why. Concerns over the reliability/longevity of the engine could be a factor. It’s a shame as they are very nice bits of kit, but, because of the known “issues” they are not vehicles I would consider as I don’t have deep enough pockets !

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Used prices was very high when we looked. So high that I would buy new and not 2 year old as we usually do. Discounts from list price from carwow was high but maybe that has narrowed now after the facelift?

Unfortunately with the Ingenium diesel it depends which platform it's fitted in as to how problematic it maybe.

And the DS sport is the worse platform, the SCR and DPF struggle to get upto temperature leading to failed regens and oil dilution on shorter runs. 

You should only consider a DS Sport if you driving is mainly longer journeys. That's JLR's advice, not mine.

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

Had mine 2 years been to Benidorm twice pulling 1800kg caravan and it has been perfect. No oil used , no warning lights , comfortable , pulls up and down hills no problems and av. 24 mpg towing (brim to brim checked) and I don't hang around 60-65 mph towing.

Like everything else the people how have problems shout the loudest , owners of cars / caravans which perform with no issues just get on with just using them.

I have no issues with recommending them , I find it strange that a DEALER would knock his product.

image.png.f780fcbec74193af7ff135341dc838a7.png

image.png.e55cd7a490258a2e029d4edee4f7cd32.png

image.png.6df47e61e65381e8b5198221578cea76.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulthomas said:

Don't they also gobble fuel when towing? I think I read a Practical Caravan review quoting 18 mpg.

I may be wrong so don't take my word for it. Worth checking though.

Well I get 29mpg when towing, and I don’t hang about!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 hour ago, PR1 said:

Well I get 29mpg when towing, and I don’t hang about!

Thats the advantage of having large capacity torquey diesel engine, it’s  never really working THAT  hard so the fuel consumption is never that high UNLESS you have a heavy right clog ;)

I get about the same out of my 2.2 litre Mazda 6, but it only weighs about half of what a LR does!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

image.png.f780fcbec74193af7ff135341dc838a7.png

image.png.e55cd7a490258a2e029d4edee4f7cd32.png

image.png.6df47e61e65381e8b5198221578cea76.png

Wow, just shows you don’t trust anyone. I ask him had he heard of any problems and he said no, none at all.

Seems sad that JLR are having these problems when other makers seem able to produce 2 litre diesels with less troubles. Thinking about it, it's their first in house diesel for over twenty years. 

3 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

. Thinking about it, it's their first in house diesel for over twenty years. 

And probably now their last !

Andy

8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

How sad that a once revered British manufacturer, of an otherwise pretty decent bit of kit, now seems beset with problems with the most important component.

I think the old adage ‘if you want to go into the outback buy a Land Rover, if you want to get out again buy Japanese’ suggests it may not always have been revered as a brand!

No worse than the damage done to VAG brand by dieselgate.

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

At least with Dieselgate their engine kept going rather than self destructing!! 

Andy

18 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

No worse than the damage done to VAG brand by dieselgate.

Put the moonboots away

Dieselgate has nothing to do with reliability or my Volkswagen 

• I do not understand 2
  • I agree completely 2

I didn't mention reliability or your VW FB; I was referring to the damage to the brand.

• Like 1

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

The Discovery Sport has been available with up to 290PS petrol engines and now with MHEV petrols.

May work for those low mileage owners who still want the vehicle. 

16 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

I didn't mention reliability or your VW FB; I was referring to the damage to the brand.

It damaged the brand that much I bought one.

And they is a 6 month wait due to demand.

7 hours ago, logiclee said:

The Discovery Sport has been available with up to 290PS petrol engines and now with MHEV petrols.

May work for those low mileage owners who still want the vehicle. 

And own a fuel station.

Edited by xtrailman

My take on this is that it makes a used purchase higher risk because you don't know if it has previously been used for a lot of short trips.

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

I went looking  At JLR but went to 4 separate dealers and without exception their sales people were terrible rude at best bleeding ignorant at worst. If that was the attitude was what they give Simone willing to part with 30k I can only begin to think what the service dept Attitude might be like, Even OH commented and she is normally more tolerant than me...

Bought another Volvo got treated properly.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)