Sign in to follow this  
Hounslow

Damp

Hi shut van down for winter break went to check on it only to find damp on cupboard doors and work tops it’s stored on grass could this be the problem.had a damp test done end of summer found about 20%damp at rear. but with wet weather haven’t been able to sort it any ideas would be great .

1 hour ago, Hounslow said:

Hi shut van down for winter break went to check on it only to find damp on cupboard doors and work tops 

Do you mean condensation, rather than damp.  It's the same in any closed environment.  It has been frosty here in the morning and cold, and then mid morning really sunny and warm, could it not just be a case of the hot air turning to condensation within the caravan and settling on the surfaces.

It does sound more like condensation rather than damp which would generally be around the external joints or windows. I would check that all vents are clear so that air can circulate.

Leave cupboard doors open and if seats have front flaps. open these, and if not prop the tops open a bit.

w

you have to allow air to circulate, I open all cupboards and drawers and  stand the cushions on end. We also check the van every few weeks. All you can do now is clean all the surfaces and dry them, then keep a close eye on your van until it's back in use. Do you have a damp meter to check for any damp?

Hi,

It has been pointed out on another web site that these low cost moisture meters are not accurate to the same degree as one used by professionals costing 100 's of £. We have a problem in the cuboard in the wash room--- put dehumidifier in cuboard & left door open . Went back aweek later & found 1/3 of cup of water ! replaced crystals in dehumidifier & closed doors . Went back a week later ( the van is stored in a open compound ) & found a tiny amount ( less than 1/2 a teaspoon ) of water in dehumidifier. seems that with the doors open we were "drying out" the whole van..............

Edited by david 1220

David Thanks for your feedback .

15 minutes ago, david 1220 said:

Hi,

It has been pointed out on another web site that these low cost moisture meters are not accurate to the same degree as one used by professionals costing 100 's of £. We have a problem in the cuboard in the wash room--- put dehumidifier in cuboard & left door open . Went back aweek later & found 1/3 of cup of water ! replaced crystals in dehumidifier & closed doors . Went back a week later ( the van is stored in a open compound ) & found a tiny amount ( less than 1/2 a teaspoon ) of water in dehumidifier. seems that with the doors open we were "drying out" the whole van..............

A cheap damp meter whilst not giving very accurate reading does a job.

If the surface is dry it either doesn’t beep. Or none of the lights come one.

If it’s mildly damp it beeps a bit, or a light comes on.

If it is very damp it beeps a lot or all the lights come on.

So if you take reading, and then take another a coupe of weeks later it with either beep the same as it did the first time, or it will beep louder if it’s more damp, or beep less if it’s dried out.

With regard to the dehumidifiers the reason you have less moisture in the trap is because you have reduced the volume of air it is working on, for a dehumidifier to work in the caravan you would have to seal the caravan up air tight to prevent fresh moist air replacing the air your traps have sucked the moisture out of.

A well aired caravan doesn’t need these water traps, but if you feel they are of benefit!

Thinking must be damp because the cupboards were left open but fronts were black not wet cleaned it all but inside cupboards were ok.Put some bowls of salt around on Friday and will check in a few days. Thank you for your all for your feedback it’s our first year in the van so new-to all this.

I have a cheap damp meter which I bought for checking the dampness of wood before we put it on our wood burning stove. It gives percentage reading.

Out of curiosity I checked our van after it was serviced and the floor damp checked.  I tried as best I could to check the exact same areas checked by the dealer and found the results were within 1 or 2 % of the readings obtained by the reader used by the dealer.

Not very scientific I agree, and of course it could mean the dealer was using the same one! But I found the comparative results interesting none the less.

Visually identical to this one but branded differently now.

https://tinyurl.com/uxc7p7t

Edited by The Happy Gnome
Add link

19 minutes ago, Hounslow said:

.Put some bowls of salt around on Friday and will check in a few days.

It is a waste of time using salt in bowls in a caravan, in fact it can do more harm than good as any water that does get attracted to it, when it evaporates it will be heavily salt laden, leading to rusting of untreated metal.

In a van with no damp present all that is needed is good air circulation.

If you have a damp problem then that needs fixing first.

On 07/02/2020 at 21:42, Hounslow said:

Hi shut van down for winter break went to check on it only to find damp on cupboard doors and work tops it’s stored on grass could this be the problem.had a damp test done end of summer found about 20%damp at rear. but with wet weather haven’t been able to sort it any ideas would be great .

I would suggest that it is maybe both. The overt damp on the doors is defo condensation. However from experience, condensation is defo worse in a van with damp. A reading of 20% aint the highest but might bethe start of something and if the walls are damp then condensation will be higher.

Re the storing of your van, you might also be right. We used to store our van in a paddock that could get damp. The van defo had problems with condensation, more so than when we changed storage yards and went on to concrete.

Keep an eye on the rear panel.

9 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Visually identical to this one but branded differently now.

https://tinyurl.com/uxc7p7t

Those 2 pins frighten me, do you have to stick them into the caravan and leave two marks?

I have an ages old meter somewhere that I used to do the wooden frames but that had to pierce the caravan.

14 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Those 2 pins frighten me, do you have to stick them into the caravan and leave two marks?

I have an ages old meter somewhere that I used to do the wooden frames but that had to pierce the caravan.

You have to be firm yes, but as its only the floor and inside lockers that I was checking its not an issue on our van.

That said I have watched a dealer checking the wall boards on a previous van of ours and he used similar, but more expensive looking kit.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

1 minute ago, The Happy Gnome said:

You have to be firm yes, but as its only the floor and inside lockers that I was checking its not an issue on our van.

Well I better search my old one out first before sending.

When I've seen dealers doing damp tests theirs do not have pins they just run them over the surface and they bleep.

How much is a simple DIY meter without pins?

59 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Well I better search my old one out first before sending.

When I've seen dealers doing damp tests theirs do not have pins they just run them over the surface and they bleep.

How much is a simple DIY meter without pins?

As with many things there are "cheap and nasty", there are reasonably priced but serviceable and there are "Professional quality". It's just a pity that sometimes the "cheap and nasty" carry the wrong price!

8 hours ago, Lee E said:

I would suggest that it is maybe both. The overt damp on the doors is defo condensation. However from experience, condensation is defo worse in a van with damp. A reading of 20% aint the highest but might bethe start of something and if the walls are damp then condensation will be higher.

Re the storing of your van, you might also be right. We used to store our van in a paddock that could get damp. The van defo had problems with condensation, more so than when we changed storage yards and went on to concrete.

Keep an eye on the rear panel.

Rear panel?

Rear panel Lee ?

On 08/02/2020 at 22:55, Grandpa Steve said:

A cheap damp meter whilst not giving very accurate reading does a job.

If the surface is dry it either doesn’t beep. Or none of the lights come one.

If it’s mildly damp it beeps a bit, or a light comes on.

If it is very damp it beeps a lot or all the lights come on.

So if you take reading, and then take another a coupe of weeks later it with either beep the same as it did the first time, or it will beep louder if it’s more damp, or beep less if it’s dried out.

With regard to the dehumidifiers the reason you have less moisture in the trap is because you have reduced the volume of air it is working on, for a dehumidifier to work in the caravan you would have to seal the caravan up air tight to prevent fresh moist air replacing the air your traps have sucked the moisture out of.

A well aired caravan doesn’t need these water traps, but if you feel they are of benefit!

The owner of our compound lights bonfires to burn the waste from his dog kennels.......... !Ventilation has to be near to none or you get the "smells"

Edited by david 1220

Sign in to follow this