Sign in to follow this  

Hi

I’ve just joined up and finding my way around.

Although I’ve stayed in statics over many years and rented a motorhome, I’m a complete novice to tourers as well as towing.

We’ve recently bought our first ever ‘van, a Swift Sprite Quattro EB and we collect it in just over a weeks time.

Changed my car a month ago with the intention of acquiring a ‘van maybe in the summer.......... anyways, we “went for a look” a couple of weeks ago and left the dealers having bought one! :o Tow bar (detachable) has now been fitted.

Very much looking forward to a steep learning curve on here, so all help gratefully received.

Off to the Camping & Caravan Show at SECC tomorrow, so will see what ideas we get and accessories we might pick up.

Already got wheel clamps, hitch lock, extended mirrors, towing cover.

First week away booked for the end of May, but some short weekend breaks planned to “practice”.

539C957B-4A46-4EAA-8259-472BB383DBD0.jpeg

6A3240AD-E3D4-4424-81A4-9863CCA4095B.jpeg

Edited by BM Bairn
  • Thanks 1

:welcome:

Looks like you have jumped in at the deep end.

Hope you have a great time and many happy years of caravaning.

Keep asking questions, and hope you don't get so many answers you end up totally confused!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

:welcome:

Looks like you have jumped in at the deep end.

Hope you have a great time and many happy years of caravaning.

Keep asking questions, and hope you don't get so many answers you end up totally confused!

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, we decided to go for the bigger van mainly to future proof it a bit as we intend keeping it for a few years (famous last words!). I also got a quattro motor mover fitted.

Nice combo

Looking foreword to your thoughts on collection & your first 'practise' trip away

• Thanks 1

haha, first mistake, "you went for a look " that;s how we bought our first caravan, everything new , including us. We did a lot of reading , including caravan forums. We found that most folk on site are very helpful, so never be afraid to ask. 

happy days:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bristle Hound said:

Nice combo

Looking foreword to your thoughts on collection & your first 'practise' trip away

Thank you sir! 😉

Yours looks equally good too

5 hours ago, joanie said:

haha, first mistake, "you went for a look " that;s how we bought our first caravan, everything new , including us. We did a lot of reading , including caravan forums. We found that most folk on site are very helpful, so never be afraid to ask. 

happy days:)

Thank you! Yeah as soon as we decided to go for a look it was inevitable haha. Looking forward to learning and contributing as much as poss.

• Like 1

Excellent, we’ve all been to ‘have a look’ and walked away with a caravan!

Just one quick note, the outfit looks superb but if you passed your driving test after 1st jan 1997 and have never done the B+E test you need to; if you passed before then ignore me and look forward to getting out there! 

• I agree completely 1

Next step I think you need to take is wait until you get caravan home and see what accessories come with it before buying the essentials.

• I agree completely 1

Best to take it to a weigh bridge to understand how much you can put into it, before you start thinking of what you would like to have.

• I agree completely 1

3 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Best to take it to a weigh bridge to understand how much you can put into it, before you start thinking of what you would like to have.

I've never had a caravan weighed in all my years of caravaning as I guess 99% of caravanners have not, not weighed what I put in.

Like me and others the OP should not take unnecessary items in side caravan and use boot of car when possible.

Being sensible I would say to OP is the rule.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I weigh what I put in the van . However sometimes it's surprising over the years how you put that little bit extra here and there and how it mounts up.  By weighing the individual things you will see which items to put in the car and what to put in the van to make the most of your payload.  e.g. the 2 locks and the electric lead are heavier than the water and waste butts, so we leave the butts in the van and put the locks and lead in the car. 

• I agree completely 1

We are now into our second year as caravanners. The first major thing we learnt is to check and double check whilst hitching up and setting up. To help with this I would reccommend making  up an idiots guide to, Hitching up/arriving/setting up/departing/shutting down the caravan. We go through the lists every time and in the right sequence. Forgetting to do something could be quite costly! Correct distribution of weight is also important. You will find lots of useful information and tips on here and some good video's on youtube. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

I agree with the idiot's guide for hitching up but I also have a tick off list for what to put in the caravan at the beginning of the season and another one for each trip. The each trip one is only food, clothes and expensive electrical stuff like laptop, camera kindle etc but you can guarantee without my tick off list I would forget something and that is after forty years caravanning.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Don't buy to much before you know you need it.

Get an aquaroll, wastemaster(or other brands),  leveller and a corkscrew!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndersG said:

Don't buy to much before you know you need it.

Get an aquaroll, wastemaster(or other brands),  leveller and a corkscrew!

"Leveller" ?

What is that?

I have a spirit level and several pieces of scrap wood to go under low side tyre.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David 38 said:

"Leveller" ?

What is that?

See under LEVELLING HERE

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BOAC said:

See under LEVELLING HERE

Well that made my day :-)

Certainly one of those things for the caravanner who has everything.

I never come across anything like that myself before, anyhow on the sort of fields I end up in think one would need many of those on top of each over!  Will stick to my many pieces of scrap wood.

• Like 1

We have a few pieces of wood for almost flat pitches but use a wedge leveller for not so flat pitches and it would be one of the first thing  l would buy for a caravan.

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

...corkscrew!

...and BBQ 

everything else is optional

• Like 1

please don't buy a BBQ unless you know how to use one properly, it is really awful on site when there are so many who don't have the patience to use a bbq 

• Like 2
  • I do not understand 4

5 hours ago, David 38 said:

Well that made my day :-)

Certainly one of those things for the caravanner who has everything.

I never come across anything like that myself before, anyhow on the sort of fields I end up in think one would need many of those on top of each over!  Will stick to my many pieces of scrap wood.

I thought you might be amused by that. :D  

All I use is one levelling ramp on one side of my single axle van. Thats all you need - oh - and bits of scrap wood is probably just as good but I suspect a bit of a fiddle sometimes.;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOAC said:

nd bits of scrap wood is probably just as good but I suspect a bit of a fiddle sometimes.;)

I use about 5 pieces of wood 3'' thick and 5 2'' thick. Each 4'' wide and around 15 '' long. It works for me as the motormover works fine and aligning the Alko wheel lock is a doddle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

...and BBQ 

everything else is optional

In the summer I would agree but this time of year I would no be in a hurry to buy one. Charcoal bbq for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joanie said:

please don't buy a BBQ unless you know how to use one properly, it is really awful on site when there are so many who don't have the patience to use a bbq 

for those puzzled by my comments. I like BBQ's when they are done properly but it seems that some folk get to the site, get the bbq out, having never been near a  kitchen before , let alone a bbq and set it alight with the  lighter fluid, then adds a bit more fluid and the flames are getting higher, then they put the food on and think that they are the greatest chef on earth.  You need to take your time with a bbq , be patient, wait for things to calm down, you don't need to keep adding the lighter fluid. 

• Like 2
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

16 minutes ago, AndersG said:

In the summer I would agree but this time of year I would no be in a hurry to buy one. Charcoal bbq for me.

My mate is out this weekend, his BBQ looks superb