Alfie the dog

Alko wheel lock

I have just taken delivery of a demo 2019 Coachman 545 VIP. I was surprised that the Alko wheel lock wrench had no tip on it for removing the yellow cap. I have contacted Alko and they informed me that dealers have complained people have been injuring themselves with it. They no longer fit the wedge end on it. As it was only plastic anyway this sounds a bit like penny pinching. Also the Status amplifier only has two sockets(AV 2) and there are three TV points including the one by the mains inlet. The dealer recommended a splitter but I have ordered an AV3 off Amazon. 

Apart from on day 1 with it, I've never used the 'wedge end' nor the Al-Ko wrench (very flimsy I thought).   My PowrTouch brace is used for the nut and I can fit the yellow bung by hand easily enough and have yet to lose it in transit.

Unless connecting three TVs at different times of day/night in the caravan (and awning via the mains inlet socket location) you won't need all three 'live'.  That mains point F-socket/TV socket is almost certainly intended for connection to a bollard aerial point via along cable for poor reception locations.. and replaces the Satus aerial input on the VP2 amp.

The plastic bit on the Al-Ko wrench snapped off ours. I don't know why because I have never used it for anything. The yellow bung just needs screwing on with your fingers so its finger tight. Quite honestly I think the plastic bit was pointless.

(Sorry about that). If that's all you have wrong with your new caravan then I think you should be very pleased, so enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have a brand new one if you want it. Never been used and bought 10 years ago

18 minutes ago, Ern said:

The plastic bit on the Al-Ko wrench snapped off ours. I don't know why because I have never used it for anything. The yellow bung just needs screwing on with your fingers so its finger tight. Quite honestly I think the plastic bit was pointless.

(Sorry about that). If that's all you have wrong with your new caravan then I think you should be very pleased, so enjoy it.

I use the flat end of the  Al-Ko wheel lock key to tweak the yellow bung just past finger tight and again to remove it but...

... Why on earth did / do they not make the yellow bung with a 19mm hex shaped head?  No rocket science needed there Al-KO.  No additional cost involved either.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

I keep a penny (I can afford the loss) in the Alko box to tighten the yellow plug  slightly and release.

I use a wooden stick from a magnum ice cream. Have to buy more magnums from time to time when the sticks break!

• Thanks 2

I gave up using the yellow plug. When I purchased the current van, the plug was missing. Only found out after getting home. Despite snow and wet roads the receiver was dry and clean. A few trips later, the bung arrived in the post, but still the receiver was clean and dry. Seems a lot of fiddling for not a lot of gain. 

I just do it up finger tight

• +1 1

I forgot to put them back in both journeys out in our caravan and they are clean as a whistle-I'm not bothering either-what a faff!

• +1 1

Another who has never bothered to fit the yellow “bung” and I have never had any issue with dirt etc within the receivers thread and I have towed many thousands of miles. 

Likewise, and for the same reasons,  I never bother with the black “thing” that goes into the Alko lock barrel. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

As ET says Finger Tight is sufficient, although I do carry a long handled screwdriver in the Alko Bag, belt and braces !!