Water filter/filters

Pippsy

As title

I’m away from our caravan atm which is a Sprite Major 4SB  but on returning I’m going to clean the water system for the first time with puriclean, would anyone be kind enough to tell me or send a photo of where the filter is located which I need to remove before doing this. We’re relatively new to caravanning and I haven’t needed to do this before hence asking for help. 

Thanks in advance

Davey

Not sure if your layout is the same but ours is to the side of the on-board pump.

20200207_101651.thumb.png.17e80dedff4caed6fdabe06c4ea3acb9.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

1 hour ago, Pippsy said:

As title

I’m away from our caravan atm which is a Sprite Major 4SB  but on returning I’m going to clean the water system for the first time with puriclean, would anyone be kind enough to tell me or send a photo of where the filter is located which I need to remove before doing this. We’re relatively new to caravanning and I haven’t needed to do this before hence asking for help. 

Most, perhaps all, recent Sprites do not have water filters!

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Not sure if your layout is the same but ours is to the side of the on-board pump.

That is a surge damper not a filter.

13 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Think you are right.

Winterising instructions say to disconnect pump and remove filter, looked the same sort of shape and adjacent so just assumed.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Checking again, the filter is the small black assembly immediately to the left of the pump.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Checking again, the filter is the small black assembly immediately to the left of the pump.

That's far too small to be a filter, at most it's a simple strainer to avoid foreign bodies from passing through.

If you do have a filter fitted hope you realise they do need replacement each season.

Again if you have one I would remove and not put one back but buy a water filter jug, replacement filters far cheaper.

Our filter was located under a front bench and was just on the cold supply to the kitchen sink. I removed it and replaced it with a bit of pipe, easy to do as it is just push fit connections. 12 mm pipe though so from a caravan dealer shop. Drinking water is taken direct from the outside tap in to the kettle or bottled water so no need to bother with filter jugs to clean it up. A photo of the filter before removal is attached but it now looks just like a bit of blue pipe so no photo.

As for cleaning the water system, at the start of the first trip away in the season I fill it with water with some Milton in it and leave for around half an hour. Then drain out and give it a flush. Others may not like to use Milton though. Later trips a fill and drain is good enough unless the last trip was a long time previously.

Filter.JPG

Edited by Paul1957

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

That's far too small to be a filter, at most it's a simple strainer to avoid foreign bodies from passing through.

It is for pump protection for preventing debris entering it.

Will remove mine for the winter as per Swift advice, should look like this when it's off.

855993959_Screenshot_20200207-140230_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.72cd0d31b51b9f4f17e3a372c4033f91.jpg

Thanks for the time and replies. Like above we use bottled water for drinking so it’s mostly for cooking or washing up and the kettle. I’m up the van tomorrow so will have a look about. 

Davey

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

Most, perhaps all, recent Sprites do not have water filters!

Stevan it’s a 2016 van. 

Davey

2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Our filter was located under a front bench and was just on the cold supply to the kitchen sink. I removed it and replaced it with a bit of pipe, easy to do as it is just push fit connections. 12 mm pipe though so from a caravan dealer shop. Drinking water is taken direct from the outside tap in to the kettle or bottled water so no need to bother with filter jugs to clean it up. A photo of the filter before removal is attached but it now looks just like a bit of blue pipe so no photo.

As for cleaning the water system, at the start of the first trip away in the season I fill it with water with some Milton in it and leave for around half an hour. Then drain out and give it a flush. Others may not like to use Milton though. Later trips a fill and drain is good enough unless the last trip was a long time previously.

Filter.JPG

Milton, being a bleach, does not do stainless steel hot water tanks any good.  I've read on here of water tanks springing a leak after using Milton.

1 hour ago, Pippsy said:

Thanks for the time and replies. Like above we use bottled water for drinking so it’s mostly for cooking or washing up and the kettle. I’m up the van tomorrow so will have a look about. 

Davey

Stevan it’s a 2016 van. 

Davey

There is no filter fitted as standard to 2016 Sprite/Challenger ranges. The little strainer next to the pump is just a "brick stopper" to protect the pump from damage caused by grit. I advise against filters as these do not "clean" the water but simply filter out certain chemical traces found in perfectly clean and healthy fresh water. They can harbour germs though unless regularly changed. In the UK our mains water is all drinkable unless you are informed otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Ern said:

There is no filter fitted as standard to 2016 Sprite/Challenger ranges. The little strainer next to the pump is just a "brick stopper" to protect the pump from damage caused by grit. I advise against filters as these do not "clean" the water but simply filter out certain chemical traces found in perfectly clean and healthy fresh water. They can harbour germs though unless regularly changed. In the UK our mains water is all drinkable unless you are informed otherwise. 

The only thing I would take issue with in your post is I would substitute the word will for can in this sentence.  They can harbour germs though unless regularly changed.   And assume that regular is basically daily. 

On 07/02/2020 at 16:25, Ern said:

Just came here to ask pretty much the same question as this thread, so thanks for the info! However one question, before running Puriclean through the system should I remove the 'brick stopper' or can I just run it through literally as is without taking anything out of the normal set up?

Don't take anything out...  I use the excellent Puriclean on the boat, and pre-mix the powder with hot water at home in 2 x5  litre containers (I have a 60 gallon system on board) and shake them well before adding to the system and topping with fresh  water to dilute to the right level...