utccman

Cherbourg disembark

Hi

This will be our 1st time using Cherbourg (after umpteen years of Eurotunnel) as our arrival point in France. Silly question to some but I am looking for advice on disembarkation time and customs clearance. With the Eurotunnel it is drive off and on the motorway minutes later. Is it the same with Cherbourg (ok main road)?

We dock at about 2pm and I would like to get to Tours area for the night but perhaps I may have to think of Beaumont sur Sarthe for an overnight stop.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

I think it will be between 20:30 - 22:00hrs before you would get to tours as it’s a fair journey having to go around Caen and Le Mans.

20 minutes ago, madasmad said:

I think it will be between 20:30 - 22:00hrs before you would get to tours as it’s a fair journey having to go around Caen and Le Mans.

TBH I'd be inclined to toddle as far as Ste Mere Eglise or St Sauveur-le-Vicompte and stop the night on the municipal site. Supermarkets nearby to stock up, ditto fuel, and excellent restaurants within walking distance. Why rush?

We are booked in at Vezac (Dordogne) the day after and I was hoping for an easy (ish) journey. We travel on Saturday 27th June so not a peak holiday weekend.

It's about 200 miles to the the municipal at Vaas so that equates to 4 - 4.5 hours  or the easier option of Beaumont sur Sarthe municipal at 160 miles. It looks like a 300 mile drive on Sunday for us. Not a problem really but was hoping for closer to 200. My own fault really as I 'forgot' the French time of 1 hour in front and thought we docked at 1pm - only been going there 30 years................

Thanks as always for your time and replies

Last time we visited the Dordogne via Cherbourg we stopped over at Beaumont. We were going to do it in one hit but it’s just too far. 300 is my realistic maximum in a day now.

• Like 1

I think you can only play things by ear - see whether you had a good  sea crossing or not, see whether you are first off the ship or last, see how many passport checkers have turned up for work that day,  see how the traffic is as you head south, and just stop on that first day when you are getting tired or when it's getting late ....and the beauty of travelling across France in June is that you can simply pull into  a campsite without a reservation wherever you wish. It doesn't have to be planned at all. 

Take care. 

First time through Cherbourg we were out with a wave of the passports, second time we were 45 mins late docking and then a fairly slow trawl through customs maybe half hour.

I’d imagine Tours is perhaps too far, it’s about 5 hours and I would be assuming 1 hour to disembark - never done it at Cherbourg but St Malo and Caen can both be the luck of the draw; we’ve been driving through St Malo 25 minutes after the ferry docked but it’s definitely taken longer! If you really need to get a wriggle on then you can bet somebody hasn’t bothered returning to their vehicle and your lane on the boat just sits waiting...

One benefit generally is that being last to embark, caravans tend to be first off.

I would be inclined to stop shorter, Beaumont is definitely popular, then get up at the crack of dawn for the second part of the trip

However, as others have said at the end of June play it by ear so if you are able to dock and get off and feel good, then keep going - I’d just research a few sites over a 100km run between Le Mans and Tours and make a decision on the day as to which one works

I made it down to Saumur from our late docking slow disembarking ferry, but our arrival was about 6.30pm and we only stopped to visit the loo in the van and then off again and that was on a Sunday mid August.