CMC Fuel discount now going to Fuel Pecker???

Just had an email from Pump King, saying they close next week and giving me the link to signup to the new Supplier, who is going with fixed discounts of UK Motorway/non-motorway Esso stations and Shell Stations... 

I'll update when my new card arrives... 

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

Likewise just signed up, this one allows you to out a credit card as a payment method too.

16 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Likewise just signed up, this one allows you to out a credit card as a payment method too.

Wouldn't let me! I had managed to use my credit card on Pump King :angry:

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Not going to bother, only once cheaper than the local supermarket and these fixed discounts on pump prices will still be higher .. Did use the Esso a few times to see if fuel consumption or performance were better, but didn't detect any change and I have never had any of the dire experiences zealots/doomsayers go on about regarding supermarket fuel ...

I may be using Best Esso on my 1957 AJS when I get it back on the road (I am told it's the closest to 1950s fuel and best for the old bike ) but I won't be using a great amount and I've got enough pieces of plastic in my wallet as it is ...

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Bad news. Was a brilliant card to use at Esso motorway services.

I will get the new card but with only 6p/l discount I will try not to use any services.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jiffy176 said:

No joy with credit card here - debit card only, even though Pump King permitted credit cards.

Not sure I shall bother with the new one - a fixed 4p off diesel is lass advantageous than a fixed weekly price irrespective of the forecourt price.

Their email today:

As a member of the Caravan and Motorhome Club and active user of the Pump-King Fuel Card, we are excited to announce that Pump-King has been purchased by Horizon Fuel Limited and will now operate under Fuelpecker.

Fuelpecker has listened to customer feedback and developed set discounts off the pump price which means guaranteed savings and therefore no more weekly fuel price text messages or variable savings. Fuelpecker has also expanded the network to include Shell petrol stations. Please see below the UK set discounts: 

Their backward step certainly doesn't 'excite' me!  And I wonder where the "customer feedback" came from?  No one asked me.  If they had then I would have provided it - willingly!

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

I tried to sign up but as I have left the CMC and joined CCC I was unable to provide s membership number (left a year or two ago but the card has continued to function).

Have emailed to see if I can join as an "independent".

Not a regular user, but useful on motorways and my nearest Esso station.

Good heads up guys as the email I got went to spam folder. Now I know it's genuine, I'll sign up to Fuelpecker 👍.

• Like 1

2019 Adria Adora Thames

13 hours ago, CliveB said:

I tried to sign up but as I have left the CMC and joined CCC I was unable to provide s membership number (left a year or two ago but the card has continued to function).

I doubt it actually checks the CMC membership number.  I suspect you could put any 8-digit number there.

2 minutes ago, Will deBeast said:

I doubt it actually checks the CMC membership number.  I suspect you could put any 8-digit number there.

There is the required data protection warning from the CMC that it does just that.

Edited by Legal Eagle
14 hours ago, AndersG said:

Bad news. Was a brilliant card to use at Esso motorway services.

I will get the new card but with only 6p/l discount I will try not to use any services.

Tried this card when it was first introduced by cc Club, then ditched it.  Current local Motorway price of Diesel £1.54 per litre, and no Esso garages within easy economical reach and the current price of that I noticed when I passed it yesterday was £1.38 per litre, local Tesco £1.299 less 5p voucher = £1.2499

Les

I think that it could be the same director, Andrew Leeson, but different company name and different format?  Also a new start up as only 8 months old incorporated 5 June 2019.  I think Pump King was also only about 8 months old when CMC took them on board.    No telephone contact address on website, only email. 

The team

The Fuelpecker team is made up of a group of dynamic individuals each with a wealth of knowledge in the tech and fuel industry.

Investors

Fuelpecker is proud to have top global entrepreneurs and business people as investors and board members.

Strangely the capital is only £100?  Why would they need top top global entrepreneurs and business people as investors and board members when there is only one director?  Seems they are signing up over 1200 per day since it was founded.

Savings on diesel at non motorway is 4p a litre and at motorway 6p a litre.  At Shell it is only 1p saving per litre.  NHS staff can get up to 10p a litre saving.

Your choice I guess.

18 hours ago, CliveB said:

Fuel Pecker just replied with a "personal" code (in place of CMC membership number) to continue with their card. Will give it a try as it's been useful for my local Esso station near a Tesco so normally only a couple of pence more expensive (without discounts).

2 hours ago, CliveB said:

Fuel Pecker just replied with a "personal" code (in place of CMC membership number) to continue with their card. Will give it a try as it's been useful for my local Esso station near a Tesco so normally only a couple of pence more expensive (without discounts).

Just to add that my application has now been accepted with a Credit Card registered for payment.

42 minutes ago, mrchiggles said:

Wouldn't take a credit card for me, I suspect they are trying to block them but haven't made it work properly

The T&C's on their website clearly states they do not permit credit cards, and that cost is taken from your nominated bank account within 72 hours of the transaction.

It's probably because as a Merchant they would incur transaction costs on a credit card which would dilute the discount available on the fuel.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Barclaycard worked for me

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

... NHS staff can get up to 10p a litre saving.

Your choice I guess.

The CMC site also claims up 10p saving (premium diesel, motorway) at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/fuel-card/

However, the FP website shows the maximum discount as 8p (again premium diesel, motorway

Edited to add: I note that the Ts&Cs still don't make clear what my liability is if the card is lost/stolen.  Or rather, it seems that I have some ongoing liability which does not terminate when I've told them the card is stolen.

Edited by Will deBeast
18 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

The T&C's on their website clearly states they do not permit credit cards, and that cost is taken from your nominated bank account within 72 hours of the transaction.

It's probably because as a Merchant they would incur transaction costs on a credit card which would dilute the discount available on the fuel.

My credit card was accepted?  BTW tried to find T&Cs again but they are not available?

Edited by Durbanite

Whilst Pump King was useful for us when it came to discounted pump prices, the 6p a litre off now makes it not worthwhile. Having spent £1000+ with PK in last 12 months, I'll be going back to my local Texaco garage which are cheaper than Fuelpecker but still not in the same league as the supermarkets. Fuelpecker's loss, heh ho :P.

• Like 1

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Surely it is much cheaper to simply plan your journeys so you  only buy from supermarkets and never on the motorway?

Even 20p off motorway diesel is nowhere near supermarket prices.

I have found there is nearly always one within a couple of miles of a junction somewhere along my route.

However in Luxembourg the fuel price is set by the government and as well as being amongst the cheapest in Europe it is the same price at ALL outlets including motorway service stations.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

At the moment with PK it is almost 10p less per litre, but with FP only 4p so a massive difference.  However by the same token a few weeks ago the saving was about £0.005 per litre.

On 07/02/2020 at 15:05, Will deBeast said:

The CMC site also claims up 10p saving (premium diesel, motorway) at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/fuel-card/

However, the FP website shows the maximum discount as 8p (again premium diesel, motorway)

The CMC have now updated their website so their motorway discounts align with fuelpecker.

Edited by Will deBeast

Has anyone used the Petrol Prices app? I had a look at the price today and if I deduct the 4p off Diesel from the closest Esso garage its 3p cheaper than the supermarkets and the fuel doesn't ruin my new car. 

I spoke to the CMC about this change and they said that they requested this change because they were getting so many complaints about people saving less than 2p on occasions. 

Why does everyone moan about the price of fuel yet when an offer comes about for all of us to save money on fuel for free everyone complains about it. Please do not ruin this great offer for the rest of us! 

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 09.49.38.png