Doosan

Walking Etiquette?

Went out for a walk last Sunday and noticed how many people seem to walk spread out across the path. Now when I was growing up in the fifties my dad told me that you should always keep to the right, just like you would when walking on the road. Now what I would like to know is was my dad wrong and that there is no etiquette? My when she worked in a school the pupils had to keep to the right when walking about and going up stairs, just makes getting around a little bit easier. What do others think?

13 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Went out for a walk last Sunday and noticed how many people seem to walk spread out across the path. Now when I was growing up in the fifties my dad told me that you should always keep to the right, just like you would when walking on the road. Now what I would like to know is was my dad wrong and that there is no etiquette? My when she worked in a school the pupils had to keep to the right when walking about and going up stairs, just makes getting around a little bit easier. What do others think?

I don't remember an etiquette about which side of the pavement to walk on but I do remember that the 'gent' always walks closer to the kerb/traffic to 'protect' his female companions ...  that sticks with me even today. 

• Like 3

What gets my goat is walking arm in arm with my wife on a four person width path with three a breast coming walking the other way expecting us two to split and not affect them.

Guess what, I am good at taking that end pin out in bowling!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if you’re talking about country or urban walking, Doosan, but my parents certainly taught me a ‘walking etiquette’ - when passing other walking groups, drop to single file if on a narrow footpath.

However, we used to pass on the left not right, just as if driving a car - it all dates back to something about drawing your sword I think.

When walking along a country lane you should walk on the right to face the oncoming traffic.

John

• +1 1

We just say you're welcome! Amount of time we go single file to allow 2's or 3's etc to barge past us-manners seem to be declining!

• Like 1

On country roads with no pavement we always walk facing the oncoming traffic, on footpaths if any other walkers/cyclists are approaching we drop to single file, it's a matter of courtesy

1 hour ago, Griff said:

What gets my goat is walking arm in arm with my wife on a four person width path with three a breast coming walking the other way expecting us two to split and not affect them.

Arm in arm or solo one seems to be expected to hop off the pavement into the traffic so folk can walk side by side with their dog and partner and/or puchchair and/or children. I just stop. Although I don't walk much with him, my chum (who likes his dogs) gets them to walk behind him in busy foot traffic. Never seen anyone else do that.

As far as etiquette goes, my dad used to tell me to walk on the kerb if facing the oncoming traffic. Nowadays people walk into you because they are looking at their phones. There's no hope I tell you!

Edited by hawkaye
speling
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

People with dogs on those extending leads at full extent, with dog one side of the path, person the other side, and lead at knee height between them blocking the entire pavement/path.

Seems to be more common with the older generation, rather than the younger.

• +1 1

Inconsiderate walkers are annoying but it's the ones blocking aisles in supermarkets that really get my goat:angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it used to be that you walked around or outside of an elderly person, a man walked on the roadside of a lady and staff  in shops always put the customer first. None of the above applies now. Children come first, workers come second plus those on their mobiles . :D  nearly forgot, the disables and elderly on their scooters, some are as big as small cars, dogs probably come in there somewhere, they usually do. Then there is the rest of us dodging it all, etiquette doesn't come into it. 

If approaching people are taking up the whole path I just go straight through the middle. Never put yourself at risk by stepping on the road. I think some folk just dont engage their brain cell.

18 hours ago, 2seaside said:

People with dogs on those extending leads at full extent, with dog one side of the path, person the other side, and lead at knee height between them blocking the entire pavement/path.

Seems to be more common with the older generation, rather than the younger.

and those who think I should move onto the muddy grass verge so their dog can walk on the path!!!

we also drop to single file for other users but seems to be a thing of the past.  I’m getting more where I won’t move though now that I’ve moved into my 50’s 😉

12 minutes ago, Cherokee2015 said:

and those who think I should move onto the muddy grass verge so their dog can walk on the path!!!

we also drop to single file for other users but seems to be a thing of the past.  I’m getting more where I won’t move though now that I’ve moved into my 50’s 😉

I dislike people with dogs on extended leads that don't retract the lead when approaching other people - I absolutely hate people who think it's ok for their dog to jump up at other people, the dog may be playing but it's just not acceptable.

If people walking several abreast don't move over, I simply stand at my side of the path and wait for them to move over.

There's no right or wrong side of a path to walk, especially as many paths are officially shared use with bicycles.

• +1 1

33 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I dislike people with dogs on extended leads that don't retract the lead when approaching other people - acceptable.

If people walking several abreast don't move over, I simply stand at my side of the path and wait for them to move over.

There's no right or wrong side of a path to walk, especially as many paths are officially shared use with bicycles.

Totally agree with this sentence BG

I absolutely hate people who think it's ok for their dog to jump up at other people, the dog may be playing but it's just not

8 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Totally agree with this sentence BG

I absolutely hate people who think it's ok for their dog to jump up at other people, the dog may be playing but it's just not

I dislike people on a whole to be honest but not all....

GAS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3