Sign in to follow this  
Gari

Heavy Awning

I am considering buying the Kampa Rally Air Pro Plus 260 to replace my poled awning.  If you have experienced using this awning I wander if you could advice me of how cumbersome and heavy it is to put it through the awning rail. Many thanks if you can help me.

We have the Rally Pro Air 200  now we are seniors and we manage it ok, think we did right not to go for the 260 on weight.

If we were younger we would have been ok  with the 260, suggest you feel weight of both the 200 and 260 at your dealers.

Inserting at first we found the side road  light was the obstacle that stopped us with the "air poles" we  have now got the hang of one of us lifting it whilst one pulls through rail.

We recommend Kampa Air awnings.

• Like 1

I have two air awnings 260 and 420 and the weight really needs to be considered when buying . Unlike poled awnings you can't split the load in different bags you need to be fit enough to put it in and out a vehicle boot .

Ask to try lifting the bag before buying .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

I have two air awnings 260 and 420 and the weight really needs to be considered when buying . Unlike poled awnings you can split the load in different bags you need to be fit enough to put it in and out a vehicle boot .

Dave

I split poled awning into two bags and separate pole bag

6 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I split poled awning into two bags and separate pole bag

Can should of been can't I edited while you was typing 

I have three a poled and two air and the 420 air in the bag goes and 3ft long and 2x2 and near 40 kg and takes the two of us to move with a handle both side of the bag because of the size of bag .

I would seriously think about poles in the future myself

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Can should of been can't I edited while you was typing 

;) Sorry

can I suggest that you go to an awing shop, for want of a better word , and lift the different awnings. When buying our air awning I  was ready to pay the bill when I tried  to lift it and found that I couldn't, so we had to buy a lighter one. 

• Like 1

We have a Rally Air Pro 260 and although it is heavy it is so much easier than poles. My husband has a health condition which means I do most of it on my own and it is manageable. I use a long metal hook which fits into the hole on the awning to pull it along  the caravan awning rail which makes it easier. We also remove 2 side doors when we take it down and put them back in once up-that also helps. 

• Like 1

No doubt they are heavy.   I know a few people start by saying that they are the best thing since sliced bread only to sell the quietly a couple of months later.  How do you think we got our’s 😄.

We find a cheap dog lead helps us to pull it through the awning.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, joanie said:

can I suggest that you go to an awing shop, for want of a better word , and lift the different awnings. When buying our air awning I  was ready to pay the bill when I tried  to lift it and found that I couldn't, so we had to buy a lighter one. 

Picking the awning up rolled in a bag will give you an idea of what it weighs to drag it in and out of the car, but tells you nothing about what is will be like to thread through the awning channel and erect it.

I have a Rally Ace 400 poled, it is quite heavy bagged up, but without the windows and end panels it is quite easy to thread onto the caravan.

• Like 1

We went to a dealers where they had an awning rail on a wall at caravan height. You could try putting up an air awning there! One go for me was enough! Far too heavy!

Glad I tried doing it! Stayed with a poled one!

• Like 1

The weight our dreadful Kampa pulling it through the rails was another nail in the coffin of the Great Kampa Air Disaster. Our full Isabella awning with all the panels in is easier than the bouncy castle. 
Add in all the other negative points and I was glad to get shot of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Picking the awning up rolled in a bag will give you an idea of what it weighs to drag it in and out of the car, but tells you nothing about what is will be like to thread through the awning channel and erect it.

I have a Rally Ace 400 poled, it is quite heavy bagged up, but without the windows and end panels it is quite easy to thread onto the caravan.

Indeed but when you are threading through, at no stage are you lifting the full weight.  Initially it will just be the first air beam and surround and nearing completion will just be the other end beam.

• Like 2

Kampa club air pro awnings, you can remove the front and end panels reducing the weight considerably, we store the panels under front bench seat

• Like 1

We have the 360 one and it is more cumbersome than a poled awning to get on to the rail. Once its on it is easier than a poled awning to finisb off pitching.

Kampa did put some guy line material on the awning ends of ours to help pull the awning through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

we have an outdoor revolution 3.5 x 2.5, but it doesn't come in parts, however with a little silicone spray in the channel and it's a doddle. 

It will be heavier to get through the awning channel than the equivalent canvas of a poled awning.  Whether you will mange it will depend on your own physical ability.  You can get a pulley thingy from Kampa that purports to make it easier. There are videos on t’internet.  Not used one myself. I would echo the suggestions above to try before you buy.

good luck

nanamel

We have the Kampa 390 Plus and it’s very heavy, the 260 will be a bit lighter, but as others have said, try to man-handle one before buying.

Many thanks for all your comments. Weight might be a problem. I have now looked at Outdoor Revolution E-Sport Air 325  which is a lighter awning. Maybe sticking to the poles is the sensible action!!  Many thanks

Edited by Gari

but it's so much easier and quicker with an air awning. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joanie said:

We have got two, a lightweight porch style (about 8 feet square ground area) and that really is easy, with one tube "hoop" to inflate.  However, considering the struggle to get our larger (Kampa 390 Plus) awning from the shed and into the car, then unpacking it and pulling it round the awning, I don't think it is any quicker (considering the whole process, not just the inflating bit).  Another issue for me was that it is bigger packed than a full poled awning and no longer fits in the roof box.

There certainly are positives to an air awning, such as no poles to fall down in a storm and damage the caravan, but in my experience they aren't the God-send that they are made out to be (on the larger models anyway).

But we are all different and have different must-have criteria, so this is only my opinion.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joanie said:

I have the 200 Kampa AirPro as I said earlier and mentioned the lifting weight against the other widths, we like it and far prefer it to our other porch awning with its so called lightweight easy frame. 

We got the Air awning because we found the Bradcot hard to put up.

5 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

But we are all different and have different must-have criteria, so this is only my opinion.

I agree with you.

Regarding the carrying weight the original Kampa bag we only put the awning itself in.  We have a second bag for everything else, Accessory rear poles. storm guys, pegs, mallet et. etc.

5 hours ago, joanie said:

Not in my experience!

15 hours ago, joanie said:

I can't understand how it can be quicker.

Pegging out the Isabella takes a long time. Sliding it in the awning rail takes some time. The frame is the quickest and only takes a few minutes.

An air awning still needs to be pegged out and in the awning rail so how can it be easier?

• Like 1

Have you had a look at the Sunncamp lightweight air awnings? We have two air awnings - a Kampa 390 Grande and a Sunncamp Air 390. Even having removed the end panels on the Kampa, it's a big lump to get through the awning rail - but with a pair of steps, we manage it and we're in our 70's. The Sunncamp, on the other hand is much lighter and easier to handle, so I would think their 260 would be a doddle.

Another thing to bear in mind - and the reason we have the two awnings - the Kampa is a heavy material and not easy to spread out to dry at home if it has to be packed away wet, whereas the lightweight Sunncamp dries overnight spread out in the garage.  Needless to say, we use the Sunncamp in winter and keep the Kampa for summer when it's less likely to be packed away wet.