Sign in to follow this  
Wellys and Mac

No more Diesel or Petrol cars after 2035.

57 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

when we move, our 1970’s house doesn’t have any loft insulation and is on LPG! I’ll be fixing the former before the winter otherwise my bank balance will disappear in the latter

Think more, loft, cavity wall, external and/or internal wall insulation. Then doors and windows.

And then heat pump and electric heating.

And then we are getting close to where homes will have to be for 2050

I know the thread has wandered away from its title, like many do. 🙄😄

But there are many interesting facts and information emerging.

This..................https://tinyurl.com/ruca7vp

And this......... (56 pages ).............https://tinyurl.com/u4brj9a

May be of interest, though it basically deals with the use of Hydrogen gas in the domestic situation it gives an insight into the cost  problems and feasibility of the whole gas infrastructure and appliance use and design, which gives, to me, a peek into the vehicle side of things.

The ' invisible ' flame, new flame failure systems, etc show that it can't be an almost instant swap over as it was from coal gas to natural gas.

I've had an interesting  play with a self contained  Oxy-Hydrogen  kit, a friend makes all kinds of things from acrylic, from vivarium's, to jewellery, to lampshades, to arty stuff etc. and uses it to flame polish the acrylic.

13 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Compared to what?

Compared to the storage heaters we had previously.  Our tariff at the time was E10.  Also when it gets really cold the darn thing has to run virtually continuously to keep the home warm at 20C.  Between10pm and 6am the temp is set to 18C and during day at 20C.  If we increase the temp to 22C the price rockets.

Looks like a squeeze on the ICE coming in the budget with fuel duty increase ?

Dave

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

It is the way of transition and has been for over a decade.

Tax what you want to reduce, subsidise what you want in it's place.

8 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Taxes are expected to rise overall in the Budget - Basic Personal Tax Allowance is expected to be frozen although the higher rate threshold may go up

Just now, Black Grouse said:

Taxes are expected to rise overall in the Budget - Basic Personal Tax Allowance is expected to be frozen although the higher rate threshold may go up

My wife has just had her new tax code, its come down so she pays more tax and we are pensioners, we are earning the same so do not see the logic  🤔🤬

17 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

My wife has just had her new tax code, its come down so she pays more tax and we are pensioners, we are earning the same so do not see the logic  🤔🤬

Yes but if you were earning £250k a year you'd be a lot better off as the higher rate threshold is moving. :unsure:

If the world would just stop having more than one child per family the problem would resolve itself in time.

Less people = less pollution, less fuel, less travel, less food, less water, less housing, etc, etc.

• I agree completely 1

27 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

It's probably because there is a 3.9% in the state pension from April.

For various reasons, the state pension is taxable but they never deduct income tax from it.  Instead they take the tax from your other income sources.

So net, you will be better off.  Yes, you'll pay more tax, but less than the rise in income.

39 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

That happens when there's a mixture of pensions - state pension is taxable but paid tax-free so the tax on private pensioins is adjusted to get the right total tax take - my code has gone down although the allowances stay the same, because of my state pension increase due in April.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

If the world would just stop having more than one child per family the problem would resolve itself in time.

Less people = less pollution, less fuel, less travel, less food, less water, less housing, etc, etc.

That is the unpopular truth.

Deforestation, reduction of habitat for wildlife, extinction of species, global warming.

There's only one solution long term.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, logiclee said:

That is the unpopular truth.

Deforestation, reduction of habitat for wildlife, extinction of species, global warming.

There's only one solution long term.

Possibly that would be a world wide pandemic due to an unexplained virus developed in a secret laboratory.   :angry:

Edited by bessacarr425
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

And less working people to pay your pension and health care when you get old.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndersG said:

That's already happened although it will get worse.

55 minutes ago, AndersG said:

You pay your own pension and health care through a lifetime of working. (Well most do)

It's the Governments fault for not using your money correctly.

1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

Possibly that would be a world wide pandemic due to an unexplained virus developed in a secret laboratory.   :angry:

Yes a few plagues and wars would help.

worldpopgr.gif

Since 1970 the Human population has doubled and the wildlife population has more than halved (LPI)

Coincidence? 

Edited by logiclee

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Compared to the storage heaters we had previously.  Our tariff at the time was E10.  Also when it gets really cold the darn thing has to run virtually continuously to keep the home warm at 20C.  Between10pm and 6am the temp is set to 18C and during day at 20C.  If we increase the temp to 22C the price rockets.

We've had an Air Source Heat Pump for just on 10 years and after the first winter when I learnt how to use it and tweak the settings I'm more than happy with how it performs.

IMO a lot of installations are incorrectly specified, either by have too small a heat pump or not having upgraded radiators or u/f heating and most of all because people don't understand how to operate them properly - they expect them to operate like a boiler and want red hot radiators..

Ours idles away virtually all day and also during cold nights - we dont turn it off, just down a couple of degrees overnight (similar temperatures to Durbanite). We have a flow temperature of between 30-40 degrees (depends on the outside temperature) and most of all we don't allow the back-up heater to kick in. We also dont keep our hot water very hot - 45 degrees.

It does defrost occasionally but it just reverses the flow, it doesn't use an electric heater to do it, so I dont see that as a problem.

We are at home all day, have a 140m2 1980's averagely insulated  bungalow stuck out in the Cambridgeshire fens and are all electric - we use just under 7000kwh a year costing around £75/month on our single rate tariff (12p/kwh).

I'd still prefer mains gas if it was available but in my opinion it's much better than the alternative of oil, lpg  or even wood pellets.  Nothing to store, nothing to be delivered and minimal maintenance and I reckon it's cheaper to run than the alternatives

3 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Good posting. I’ve been saying for years we need a global population cull. 

My vegan, eco sensitive, low C02 lifestyle friend gets quite upset when I point out that my V6 driving, meat eating lifestyle is less harmful to the planet in the long term than hers, because we’ve not got kids, and she has 3. She just refuses to accept it. 

• I do not understand 1

33 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

population cull.

Bit strong Iain.  Isn’t that what the corona virus is for?

I think reducing people’s expectation or need for large families by education and/or assistance were necessary might be enough without the need for legislation or even a cull.

John

Maybe he was right?

image.png.2bccd8822870fc5764c0839a061ff622.png

• Haha 1

With China in production and economic crash and the world possibly following with economic markets crashing the last week the question is will the projected dates still be accomplishable ?

Dave

• I do not understand 2

Yes of course-won't make any difference-this panic about Corvid will be gone in a couple of months and normal service will be resumed-in spite of the press hype it isn't much worse than Flu!

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Yes of course-won't make any difference-this panic about Corvid will be gone in a couple of months and normal service will be resumed-in spite of the press hype it isn't much worse than Flu!

Months ? The car industry only has weeks before it stops all production as it has no parts and the batteries are made in the far East and without investment in research and development with the world economy crashing .

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/18/uk-car-factories-running-out-of-parts-due-to-coronavirus-warns-jaguar

Dave

On 26/02/2020 at 09:54, daveat92 said:

I agree that people are the cause of pollution and global warming.

This country has a financial policy that rewards more than one child. Family allowance, tax credits etc.

The time has come to reward those that have less children not more but we live in a world where continual expansion and growth is seen as a benefit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Months ? The car industry only has weeks before it stops all production as it has no parts and the batteries are made in the far East and without investment in research and development with the world economy crashing .

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/18/uk-car-factories-running-out-of-parts-due-to-coronavirus-warns-jaguar

Dave

Indeed, I spoke to a Volvo dealer last week who mentioned all sales of hybrid and electric models are on-hold with no delivery dates due to the unavailability of batteries from China