Sign in to follow this  
Wellys and Mac

No more Diesel or Petrol cars after 2035.

Well that's the year for new car sales of diesel and petrol engine cars when they will be banned!

Goodbye caravans?

IF that happens I would by a new disel in 2035 and drive it for 10 years. Old enough to give up caravaning by then anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 2

Thing is as the date gets nearer the harder it will be to get petrol or diesel and price will be higher.

Similar to now electric charge points few apparently the situation will reverse.

This has not been thought through from the outset of All Electric Vehicles I was reading an article last week that this guy had to wait two hours for a charging point to become available on a motorway, not for me I'm afraid, if I am forced down this route I would probably go for a self charging Hybrid, I will probably not be around in 2035 anyhow

• Like 1

The news said no new petrol, diesel and hybrids after 2035

4 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The news said no new petrol, diesel and hybrids after 2035

Agreed, that's the bigger part of the announcement - that hybrids and PHEVs will be included in the sales ban - GM have already announced they're by-passing the hybrid/PHEV phase of development and focussing solely on battery EVs.

Don’t know what this latest decision will have on caravan or Motorhome manufacturers after today’s news. The alternative power sources will have to be a hell of a lot better than present ones to enable the towing of an inert caravan . Maybe they will fit electric motors to the van powered by solar panels to help with the journeys , not much good In Britain though , or Northern Europe come to that . I would imagine that there will be a massive upsurge in new car purchases in 2034 .

• I agree completely 1

If you read the small print they can still sell petrol and diesel hybrids so not much will change that quickly! So only pure petrol and diesel cars can't be sold but there will be plenty on the road. Not worrying in the slightest!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jezzerb said:

If you read the small print they can still sell petrol and diesel hybrids so not much will change that quickly! So only pure petrol and diesel cars can't be sold but there will be plenty on the road. Not worrying in the slightest!

I have only read BBC news which may or may not be correct but it stated 'The last date to buy a new petrol, diesel or hybrid car in the UK will be brought forward from 2040 to 2035 at the latest, under government plans.'

• I agree completely 1

although this wont affect us , there will still be petrol and diesel cars around for at least another 10 years after that date, not counting classic cars.  Everything on this earth has a life span, look around, who ever thought that the High St. would ever end , but that's dying a slow death. Of course electric cars will be the future.  Technology has come on in leaps and bounds 

2 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I have only read BBC news which may or may not be correct but it stated 'The last date to buy a new petrol, diesel or hybrid car in the UK will be brought forward from 2040 to 2035 at the latest, under government plans.'

It was crystal clear on the Beeb this morning. I'm pleased they have included Hybrids because the present situation is crazy (mainly company cars with hybrid power guzzling fuel, and we tax payers subsidise it). Some sort of Grand Plan must soon emerge though because the auto industry is going to become terminally ill if there is no plan. Would you invest your pot in the auto industry, or fuel distribution? Know anyone with a filling station business?

I was listening to Michael Gove being interviewed by Julia Hartley Brewer on Talk Radio this morning, she kept pushing him on who's going to pay for the electric car charging infrastructure and how much is it going to cost. As usual, he would not/could not give her a straight answer.

The BBC news article

So no more decent tow cars after 2035.  But it only refers to cars, so motorhomes will still be able to made and sold.

Given that a car will last 10-15 years, maybe more for some, I'll be 100 by then, assuming I'm still here.

I'm not going to worry about it.

Caravans may well not be around much in 30 years, with so few vehicles able to tow them, unless EV range improves, or we all have a big Tesla

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

That's not what Mr Gove said, hybrids will be banned too.

a pal  of mine used to have a gas car, do they still exist and if so will these also be phased out?

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Thing is as the date gets nearer the harder it will be to get petrol or diesel and price will be higher.

Similar to now electric charge points few apparently the situation will reverse.

Not only that, there will potentially be the same price  increases in lubricants, paints, plastics, industrial coatings, certain pharma drug products, certain gases, asphalt, clothing and like materials. LPG etc. all due to the scale of production.

Many of these things are relatively cheaper today, due to potentially being by products of the production of vast quantities of fuels, if these quantities of fuels are no longer needed or vastly reduced, there will be no need to extract vast quantities of crude oil, the sales of which go to paying for surveying and opening up new oil fields, resulting in the overall cost of recovering a barrel of oil being far higher, this then follows on to the feedstock processes.

So, in 2035, will you be able to buy a car able to tow your, all electric caravan, say 400 miles without a re-charge, to a site with the electrical capacity to supply all electric vans ?

I can see going off grid for a holiday, or touring the wilds of Scotland, or touring the wilder parts  France, Spain etc, will be ball of fun.

There are no plant based substitutes for hundreds of thousands of products we use today.

I wonder if running in parallel with the rush for all electric cars, all electric houses, all electric industry etc. that such as heating gasses will be phased out ?

I'm all for making the world a better place as long as the rest of the world does the same.

Sadly, this will never happen.

Perhaps , like the dinosaurs and millions of species that evolved and have since died out since the first microbe appeared, that it's the human races time to vanish.

The Earth doesn't need humans, but humans need the Earth and like many times in the past, after massive catastrophes, wiping out many things, the Earth just trundles along  and in another couple of million years there will other creatures crawl out of the swamp to start all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jezzerb said:

Unfortunately one of key parts of this change is to include hybrids too. They were not included in the original ban that was to happen in 2040, but have now been included.

7 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

I wonder if running in parallel with the rush for all electric cars, all electric houses, all electric industry etc. that such as heating gasses will be phased out ?

There is already a date set for stopping gas heating installs in new build homes although gas can be installed for cooking.

47 minutes ago, Ern said:

I'm pleased they have included Hybrids because the present situation is crazy, mainly company cars with hybrid power guzzling fuel, and we tax payers subsidise it. 

A sweeping statement Ern based on what information,  how do taxpayers subsidise these gas guzzling hybrids?

There's an interesting chat going on over at the Mustang forums for obvious reasons. Personally I don't see Electric as the solution, but Hydrogen.  Hydrogen burns much more efficiently than petrol and when burnt,  emits oxygen and water.  The problem is, we have no viable cost effective method for extracting it as of yet.  2035 is a few years off yet and I wouldn't be surprised if we have the alternative to the EV by then.  As for existing ICE vehicles, there will be conversions made available for them, so no need to panic just yet.

Remember all the panic/uproar when it was announced Leaded fuel was being removed!  It all got phased out and yet we still have plenty of classic cars running around today.

Edited by B3nnl

3 hours ago, David 38 said:

My thoughts also as fuel demand drops the fuel stations will not be able to keep going and they will be like pubs disappearing .

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

A sweeping statement Ern based on what information,  how do taxpayers subsidise these gas guzzling hybrids?

By buying said companies products or services I suppose but was,t there a government subcidy on the purchase of these vehicles at one time?

5 minutes ago, Easy T said:

There is already a date set for stopping gas heating installs in new build homes although gas can be installed for cooking.

.....and the question still hangs in the air as to who is going to pay for all the gas heated boilers to be changed to electric, and the elephant in the room is how will the generate all the extra electricity required to power both the boilers and the electric cars, and who will pay for the infrastructure ?

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I said a few years ago I would not replace my gas boiler due to the rise in gas prices and servicing every year and cost of installation it would be replaced by electric .

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

.....and the question still hangs in the air as to who is going to pay for all the gas heated boilers to be changed to electric,

There is no planned change to existing properties at present. Maybe in some distant time the installation of new systems into some old properties might be phased out.