Sign in to follow this  
Pembssurfer

Roof light replacement price

Hi all Iv had a quote to supply and g

fit new opaque 400x400 standard roof vent light  in the bathroom of a 17 year old van. The quote came in at £350 from a reputable caravan repairer to do it in their workshop. £95 for the light and the rest labour at £50 per hour. Does this seem excessive or about right?

Edited by Pembssurfer
Typo

Depending on how practical you are you can do it yourself, I replaced one similar myself and it was not difficult. You can probably find a video on youtube, but basically you normally remove trim from inside van, about 8 screws, the inside trim then comes away. Next you remove the rooflight from above cutting the sealant with a blade. Now clear area and apply new (non setting sealant) put new roof light in place from above, (if you can get someone to hold while you fix from below its easier) but if not I managed to hold from below while fixing back the trim with the screws this clamps the rooflight.

The most important this it to clean off old sealant and put on new proper sealant it is more expensive that standard silicole but insures it does not leak.

Edit to add I can't see it taking 5 hours to do so quote seems a bit high price for rooflight seems about right but they are easy to find on web, but be sure to measure hole size not overall size

hope that helps 

Edited by jonply
added to comment

They are trying to rip you off!!

Rooflights of that size are available off Amazon for about fifty quid, and that includes delivery! 

If you are even half handy its an easy job! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Seems very expensive if it's just to remove and install new one in same hole. I still think it's a bit high even if they are cutting a new hole in roof.

Get a second quote.

1 hour ago, Pembssurfer said:

Hi all Iv had a quote to supply and g

fit new opaque 400x400 standard roof vent light  in the bathroom of a 17 year old van. The quote came in at £350 from a reputable caravan repairer to do it in their workshop. £95 for the light and the rest labour at £50 per hour. Does this seem excessive or about right?

Excessive.

Our first caravan was a 1989 Adria. About 20 years ago we went to pick it up on a Friday evening to go to a weekend rally. The solitary rooflight had blown off. Went to a local caravan place, bought a replacement and some of that mastic on a roll stuff and drove to the rally. Soon as we got there I fitted it. Found it very easy, did it all from inside the van while evening meal was being prepared. 

Thanks everyone, I thought it was rather excessive to. I was considering it at £150 but not at that price. Might just keep the skylight shut forever.

You might find you can get a replacement cover from a user supplier. It might be a case you can bolt on the 'light' bit and bolt on a used one? 

We had ours replaced with a mini heki for extra light and it cost nowhere near that amount, shop around.

I just bought 2 used ones off the bay for £50 for the pair, ill wait till the weather improves then fit them myself as it appears an easy enough job.  By the looks of things, if you're capable of turning a screwdriver and peeling off old mastic and squeezing on new stuff, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Sounds a lot and if it was me as I am handy on the tools, I would do it myself providing I could safely get to and remove the outer frame.

Whats the point of an opaque roof light? It won't let any light in.

4 hours ago, zeersplat said:

Whats the point of an opaque roof light? It won't let any light in.

Of course it will !!!!

29 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Of course it will !!!!

Having had both,  I am glad I had the opaque one changed for the Mini Heki, it's so much better for both ventilation and light transmission I wouldn't go back.

Oh no it won't

adjective. not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

42 minutes ago, zeersplat said:

Oh no it won't

adjective. not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

I don't know what you are trying to prove.

Opaque roof vents have been fitted to caravans for years and years, and they do let a lot of light through, but you cannot see through them, which is why they were mainly fitted to bathrooms.

I suppose to be very pedantic the correct name for them is translucent, but most people refer to opaque.

Rather similar to people calling gas cylinders "bottles",,,,,,they are not, they are cylinders.

Edited by Brecon

Wont display....

Edited by The Happy Gnome