Sign in to follow this  
WispMan

European Travel during the Brexit transition period

This is advice on travelling to Europe during the Brexit transition period which is up to 31st December 2020.

It has been taken from the i newspaper printed on 1st Feb 2020 and I take no responsibility for any errors – it is purely to offer advice to forum members.

PASSPORTS

Your passport should be valid for the duration of your trip. After the transition period, British passports will need six months’ validity after the date of return to the UK for any trip in the EU and be less than 10 years old.

There is one exception, which is the Common Travel Area (Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), for which passports need be valid only for the dates of travel, even after the transition period.

HEALTHCARE

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) continues to be valid in any EEA member state as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, covering reciprocal healthcare in these countries until the end of this year. While not a substitute for travel insurance, it will cover state-provided healthcare that is deemed “medically necessary until the card holder returns home”, which also includes treatments for pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care. This may change from 2021.

To apply for a free card, do so only via the official site, ehic.org.uk. Avoid any third-party sites that charge for the service. You should also have a valid travel insurance policy with adequate health cover.

INSURANCE

When the transition period comes to an end, there is a possibility of travel disruption. Review your travel insurance terms to check whether your policy covers cancellations, delays and disruption – some may list specific reasons or offer add-ons if Brexit is not mentioned.

Holiday Extra is one provider that offers Brexit Disruption Cover extensions for single and annual trip policies : other insurers offer “travel disruption cover” add-ons.

If you book a package holiday it is the provider’s responsibility to make sure your holiday is provided and to offer an alternative or refund if not delivered.

There is a consensus among insurers that costs will rise post-Brexit.

DRIVING

A UK driving licence is valid for most EU countries, including Ireland, this year. Purchase of an International Driving Permit 1968 or 1949 could be required for some countries, including France and Italy; check requirements online at gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit.

If driving your own car, you will need a insurance green card from 2021, available from your insurer.

MOBILE ROAMING

In theory, mobile operators can implement roaming charges at the end of the transition period, with  limitations of £45 a month for data and the requirement to inform customers about data usage and limitations.

However, the major operators – including Three, EE, O2 and Vodafone – have said that they have no plans to introduce charges after Brexit.

PETS

After the transition period, the Pet Passport scheme will cease for British travellers. Your pet may need an animal health certificate, obtained no more than 10 days before travel from a vet. They will also need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies, with a blood sample taken 30 days afterwards and sent to an EU-approved testing laboratory, three months before travel. The process will take around four months.

VISAS

A visa-waiver programme, known as the European travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is expected to come into force by the end of 2022. British passport holders are likely to be subject the programme.

ETIAS will operate much like the US Esta programme and will be applicable to citizens of 60 countries entering the Schengen Area. ETIAS waivers will be valid for stays of up to 90 days and will allow free movement between Schengen countries. Applications will cost €7 (£5.90). The official website has yet to launch, but beware third-party application sites that will charge more.

For all Brexit travel updates, see gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit

I have put this up on the forum to help all members that may be visiting Europe in the next 11 months but please note that I accept no responsibility for incorrect information or spelling mistakes. It has been put up here purely to assist members and to give the facts as the newspaper i sees it as at 1st February 2020.

Members are welcome to post on this topic providing it is relevant to the actual advice given above. I will delete any general comments relating to opinions on Brexit and any other similar comments. Let’s keep it to a thread to provide accurate information to travellers that are known at this time. I will post up any alterations that are relevant as they are discovered.

The above as a word file: Brexit_Transition_Period_Advice.docx

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

ETIAS is expected end of 2020 says here by the official source .

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

No changes till end of 2020 .

https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/brexit-advice-for-travellers

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Trips limited to 90 days. Most people we see out here in Spain ATM are staying much longer. Many have pets.

I wonder how many will go through all the hoops.

I think next winter in particular will be difficult. I'm not going to book in advance for sure...

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

ETIAS website says it is expected to come into force by the end of 2021. So it looks like information varies from one website to another. At the moment I would accept the ETIAS website www.etias.info

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just now, PandR said:

Trips limited to 90 days. Most people we see out here in Spain ATM are staying much longer. Many have pets.

I think next winter in particular will be difficult. I'm not going to book in advance for sure...

The pets thing is not actually that complicated, dogs have to be chipped by law anyway and  you will only need the rabies titre test once then you just have to keep your rabies vac up to date (which you do now). After that the only additional thing will be to get a Pet Heath cert. within 10 days of travel to the EU. You have to have the worming done before you come back now anyway.

Yes the rabies titre test is expensive (around £90 to £100 but once it's done it's done).

Our dog was sorted last year in readiness, as we wanted to be sure we could travel no matter what happened.

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

Dog Blood test last as long as you keep up boosters in time or you start again .

Dave

22 minutes ago, WispMan said:

ETIAS website says it is expected to come into force by the end of 2021. So it looks like information varies from one website to another. At the moment I would accept the ETIAS website www.etias.info

To restrict travel some sort of system will need introducing at the end of the year ?

But all this still depends on coming to a deal.

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

34 minutes ago, PandR said:

Maybe a weekend drive to the Portugal is enough to restart the 90-day clock.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It would need to be to a country outside of the EU.

And it sounds like 90 days in any 6 months.

Probably akin to the American ESTAS but that's 90 days per annum.

Healthcare insurance will be a huge issue for many retirees with any recent medical history.

I mean at the moment, I look on health insurance as optional because of the E111...

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Thanks for posting Graham , I took the Government ‘ advice ‘last year & obtained all the documents , IDP , Green card etc & never needed them , this year I won’t bother . I am leaving the caravan at home this year & taking a Brittany ferries winter break at Calahonda , Dona Lola resort ,plus a bit of touring around Spain & Portugal for 6 weeks car only . I only got my caravan back on the road at the end of November after it’s repairs & haven’t had chance to take it out yet so I don’t trust it to voyage around Spain just yet.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

3 minutes ago, PandR said:

It would need to be to a country outside of the EU.

A weekend in Morrocco, or even back in the UK ?

35 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Maybe a weekend drive to the Portugal is enough to restart the 90-day clock.

If your in for 90 days then you leave for 90 days to be able to return (90 in 180 days ).

I'm am off to Spain and Portugal for few months in a couple of months and not worrying as no change during the transition till end of the year .

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Strange anomaly is that a pet's stay is for up to four months in the EU once they have been given a Pet Health certificate.

So in theory the pet will be able stay on a but the owner cannot beyond the 'waiver' and presumably will have to apply for a full Visa to stay longer than 90 days?

My dog has a Irish pet passport so he could keep his pet passport which complicates issues if he has to keep it or change to the new scheme at the end of the year .

IMO without get into politics and moving thread off course But all this is based on some sort of deal but any deal negotiation EU says is based on the UK relinquish control of the rock with Spain without getting into fish water arguments with France .

Nothing changes till the end of year so enjoy your holidays and don't worry till 2021 .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Cutting ties with the EU means travel will be different, but this shouldn’t stop you going

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/108946/cutting-ties-with-the-EU-means-travel-will-be-different-but-this-shouldn-t-stop-you

FWIW ...

Am currently in Spain.

Have faffed around with my Terriers with Rabies jabs and testing all Autumn 19.

Will await a definative answer from Gov.uk & Defra this Autumn 2020.

Without a clear situation Spain next winter will be much quieter.

Lots of expats worried to death in Spain at the moment due to Newspaper and self interest Professional scarmongering. 

M

I think that what worries older expats is reciprocal health agreements

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Passports could catch people out on their dates when you loose the extra months .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

MIL renewed her passport last week and it was strange to see a burgundy British passport without EU on it .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

13 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

MIL renewed her passport last week and it was strange to see a burgundy British passport without EU on it .

Dave

According to the media, they're going back to blue next month!

Underwhelming, in the extreme. 🤣🤣🤣