We are landing at Santander 29th February 17.30 I have 2 sites in mind within 70 miles of the ferry but have not had a reply from them in the last week, even though they say they are open in past experience we have found them closed. We are heading towards Salamanca then into Portugal. Site 1 Monte Royal at Aguilar De Campo. 2 Camping Fuentes Carrionas at Palencia, anyone know if it's safe just to roll up or do you know any other sites? They must except a dog and we have 7 mitre caravan.

I can only say what I would do if in doubt about sites being open. -  get out the mobile and phone when landed at Santander. If one says they are open  go there, if not then try the other one, but if both say they are closed  then get the ACSI book out of the car door pocket. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coastline said:

We are landing at Santander 29th February 17.30 I have 2 sites in mind within 70 miles of the ferry but have not had a reply from them in the last week, even though they say they are open in past experience we have found them closed. We are heading towards Salamanca then into Portugal. Site 1 Monte Royal at Aguilar De Campo. 2 Camping Fuentes Carrionas at Palencia, anyone know if it's safe just to roll up or do you know any other sites? They must except a dog and we have 7 mitre caravan.

I have now found out with bit of Googling that Monte Royal is closed and have sent another email to the other site will try phoning Monday if no reply.

Hi Martin.   I hoped to stop at Monte Royal on the way home last year.   I arrived at the site which was open but they had no caravans staying.   The guy in charge was busy working on his car and obviously didn't want to bother with me.   When I asked him if the site was open, he said yes -  but there was no water in the toilet block.  I moved on and went to Virgen del Mar at Santander.     (I've also sent you a PM)

12 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Hi Martin.   I hoped to stop at Monte Royal on the way home last year.   I arrived at the site which was open but they had no caravans staying.   The guy in charge was busy working on his car and obviously didn't want to bother with me.   When I asked him if the site was open, he said yes -  but there was no water in the toilet block.  I moved on and went to Virgen del Mar at Santander.     (I've also sent you a PM)

Thanks Jon I had a look and Virgen Del Mar do not take dogs.

The municipal site in Burgos is a little further away but from memory reception is open until 10 or 11 pm and there may be some arrivals parking outside the main site (you'd need to check that).

http://www.caravanramblings.co.uk/?p=2602

The Burgos campsite is 188 km from the ferry at Santander. If you want a closer site which is open all year and allows dogs then have a look at Camping Santillana at Santillana del Mar - 30km. from the ferry.  The Alan Rogers website has a description of it.