B3nnl

How strict are ferry companies on caravan lengths?

Hypothetical question time...

Your van might be 7.06m long...

Options selectable with ferry company are upto 6m/7m/8m etc.

Price jump from 7m to 8m is almost £100.

Is it worth a "risk-it for a biscuit", or do they have reps with tape measures waiting at check-in for you?

Sorry if it's a bone question, but just asking for a friend...

Cheers

My caravan is 7.13 meters and I just call it 7 meters when booking and never had a problem, I might of just been lucky.

When I've discussed it at booking they worked on overall combination length as that would be how you are measured at check in.

They do occasionally check lengths at the port of Hull.  A young woman came out with a tape measure to check mine and I've seen them checking others too.  Not a problem unless you're trying to fiddle the system.

John.

Edited by Leedslad

I've had my outfit measured at Portsmouth. 

• +1 1

Never had our caravan measured and our old Avondale did have an overall length slightly above 7 m. It always got booked in at 7 m and we never had a problem. Using a tape measure would not pick up differences of a few mm as it is simply not accurate enough and in most cases it would not make any difference to the price. I would think they are looking for people trying to abuse the system with seriously under declared lengths.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, B3nnl said:

Is it worth a "risk-it for a biscuit", or do they have reps with tape measures waiting at check-in for you?

Cheers

Put it into reverse for a second or two prior to stopping.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, B3nnl said:

Cheers

The length of our combination is 12.98m, but we have to select 5m for the vehicle and 9m for the caravan taking it to 14m.  So gross overcharging.  On our last crossing we decided to go for 5m + 8m = 13m.  They measured the combination at the port and there was no extra charge.

• Like 1

I think if you are there or there abouts you are fine, they are looking for those who book 5m and turn up with 8, if you get my drift.

We have been measured at Portsmouth for the last four years,maybe I look suspicious :o

Have always used Calais, Ramsgate and Newhaven over 25 years of camping/caravanning in Europe, and have never ever been measured.  I too down size the size, ie, 7.5m down to 7m, etc

I have read on the forums of people being measured and having to pay extra .

I doubt they would worry about 60 mm as it is the combination they usually check but if you add 100 mm on the vehicle for the towbar hitch then the 60 mm you might exceed a set length .

Dave

37 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I have read on the forums of people being measured and having to pay extra .

I doubt they would worry about 60 mm as it is the combination they usually check but if you add 100 mm on the vehicle for the towbar hitch then the 60 mm you might exceed a set length .

Dave

If I remember the person who got caught had their ticket cancelled and they missed their boat and they had to buy a new ticket a bit of a slap on the wrist I thought  but I now make sure I don't get it wrong .

Edited by CommanderDave

Portsmouth check the lengths every time for Brittany Ferries.

They have markers on the ground and if it's a bit close, out comes the tape measure.

What tolerance there is of course is not published.

60mm 2.5 inches I think you'd be unlucky mind... But do you feel lucky???

Edited by PandR
  • +1 1

I don't think its the "inch or so over" people they're after. I think if you get caught clearly attempting to fiddle them out of revenue (booking half a metre under), you could regret it. We knew a couple who could not stand paying the proper amount for anything, and even smuggled a child through once. We went our separate ways because of it.  

I've seen Condor Ferries "looking stern" but no one else.

Our old motorhome was 8.67 metres and I always booked it as 8.00. Above that and the price sky rocketed.

Russ

It's a bit like the vehicle height issue. If you have a tall towcar and are towing a caravan and you put > 1.8m for the towcar height you actually get a double overheight charge- at least with Brittany Ferries. I've always quoted the towcar as under 1.8m following advice from the cc and never had a problem.

I have seen a caravan measured ( not mine ) at Portsmouth for the Condor ferry to Jersey. Just booked this year  So called discount of 20% with Condor .£83 cheaper with cc&C on the same ship.

Our caravan is 7.95m and its been measured at Portsmouth, never Bilbao or Santander.

Not sure about the Ferry Companies but I don’t think Euro Tunnel are bothered, never checked me anyway.

Never been checked for length with Brittany Ferries but once for height in St Malo which is a bit odd as the bikes take me over 2.6m so I always book up to 3m “Did you have the bikes on the roof on the way out?” “Yes, it’s on the booking” with much measuring to follow.

I have been measured many times at Portsmouth but never at Poole.

Just checked on BF’s website for Poole-Cherbourg for tomorrow. No price differential between a 6m and an 8m caravan 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I was measured at Portsmouth and my caravan searched for locking penknives. Strange because the security bloke did not know the law and was happy with my 12 inch kitchen knives. I still don't know why they searched for knives in the caravan...:blush:

On 31/01/2020 at 20:41, Borussia 1900 said:

Not sure about the Ferry Companies but I don’t think Euro Tunnel are bothered, never checked me anyway.

I seem to recall they have ground markings that give an indication of length and will pull you aside for a more accurate check if they think you are taking the mickey. Ive never been checked but then I've never mis declared my length. I understand its more of a factor on Eurorunnel because of the compartmentalisation of the carraiges.

My van is 7.2M overall and I've always put it down as 7M and never had a problem with Brittany Ferries  all the years we have travelled to france, either through Portsmouth or Plymouth. As already mentioned It's those who have blatently tried it on that they are after as deck space is money to them.

Dave