Sign in to follow this  
George&Ade

Nextbase 312 gw dashcam screen

29 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Whether it is legal or not, and I fall on the illegal side.  Why would anyone want it on, just what would be the point.  Yes Silversurfs give speed warnings, but that's not the same thing at all.

John

John

think you missed my point. The screen is always on when the unit is powered. I don’t “need” the screen on, that’s how it is. 
As I said, I cannot see the camera from drivers seat, so the fact that it’s on is irrelevant to me

1 hour ago, George&Ade said:

If it were true that

"If the screen is on and the driver can see it,you are committing an offence"

All the caravanners,motorhomers,lorry drivers,taxis, etc....better not be able to see the screens whilst driving.;)

Did it never occur to you that there are, sensible, exemptions to drivers being able to view display screens designed for certain purposes?

Their are specific exemptions for the display of information important to the vehicle's safe operation e.g. HUD displays, visibility e.g. reversing and all round view vision aids, displays giving directional assistance e.g. sat navs. However, no visual display must cause the driver any distraction. 

5 hours ago, George&Ade said:

This was your earlier post stating that it was the important part of the law and should not be placed in the swept part of the windscreen.

Now its,

If I can see it......its a serious offence.

Please don't alter what I said in that post to suit your agenda.

What I said in a quote was " If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence"

I then said that nothing should be placed in the swept area of the screen.

You decided to omit the quote and make my point about placement the main focus, which it was NOT.

As far as you are concerned, I don't care what you do, its your licence, your problem if it means points or more.

What is so annoying is that despite giving the correct information according to C&U Regs, you don't want to abide by those rules, so everyone else has wasted their time responding to your original post  as you were determined to be "right" whatever the law says.

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I am presuming that they know what they a talking about regarding 40mm intrusion

I was recently quoted the same information by an MoT Inspector. My Dash Cam is mounted in he "green" zone, exactly as per the Nextbase diagram: no problem with the MoT. 

My 312 was being troublesome WiFi downloading the footage to my phone. Mentioned this when having it transferred to a new vehicle by Halfords. The guy said I needed to update the software...which he did for me, solving the issue. Wonder if this is an issue with the op?

We seem to be going down the same nitpicking rat hole that so many threads deteriorate into.

Some people just want to be awkward for the sake of it, just because they can.

• Thanks 1

My last post on this as its now getting "nit picky"

1.Nextbase have provided information as to where the dashcam should be mounted.

2.Diagrams have been provided as to where the dashcam should be mounted.

3.A road traffic police officer has confirmed that my dashcam is not breaking any road traffic laws where it is mounted.

Im not going to mention any specific previous posts and I am more than happy to continue using it without any fear of being prosecuted and knowing that where the screen is,my  view of the road ahead is totally unobstructed for health and safety reasons.

:Thankyou:

11 hours ago, George&Ade said:

I think you need to read this:

Apart from positioning, the other crucial law governing dash cams is those with an LED screen. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

Looks like I will have to switch mine off whilst driving then.:rolleyes:

I think you will find that the Con &Use Regulations actual refer to TV receiving equipment. See Here for what is written in the C&U regs

Many vehicles are now fitted with rear view cameras rather than internal mirrors, and some are replacement for door mirrors, the display for those is visible to the driver. A dash cam is no different.

Andy