Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
George&Ade

Nextbase 312 gw dashcam screen

Recommended Posts

Hi.

I have the Nextbase 312 gw dashcam.

After reading the instruction manual and searching google,im still unable to alter the brightness of the screen when in operation.

Mine is very dark.

Any ideas please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have the feature WDR on this dash cam - is there an option to switch it off? If there is that could be your problem.

Go to faq at

https://www.nextbase.com/en-ie/faq/

and look for the WDR section.

I know nothing but I'm relying on Google.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you WispMan.

I believe the WDR is a feature to view the images in near perfect lighting after they have been captured.

Im looking to increase the brightness of the actual screen whilst driving and while the dashcam is recording.

:Thankyou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

m looking to increase the brightness of the actual screen whilst driving and while the dashcam is recording.

I think you need to read this:

 

Apart from positioning, the other crucial law governing dash cams is those with an LED screen. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried the reset. See page 12.

AS above post by Brecon, read page 5! I have 2 Nextbase cams, one forward looking ( windscreen and NOT in the swept zone, also one looking rear out of the back window). Both are set to automatically turn the screens off when in motion, they have the ability to do this in their settings. Both are hard wired from the fuse box, not the 12v sockets. Also stickers notifying that there is dash cam's recording! So I think I have covered everything to comply with UK law and some EU states, but not all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, George&Ade said:

Hi.

I have the Nextbase 312 gw dashcam.

After reading the instruction manual and searching google,im still unable to alter the brightness of the screen when in operation.

Mine is very dark.

Any ideas please?

My 312 screen is and has always been dark and much darker than the 212 we have in my wife's car. However, the play back image from the recording is absolutely perfect and sharp. I just put it down to a different rear screen material on the 312, but then it doesn't worry me as it is not there for me to look at whilst driving and I very rarely have used the dashcam to view a scene direct on playback as much better to view it either on my phone or laptop if needed.

Alan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My screen turns off after 10 secs.  Apart from it being illegal, what’s the point of having it on, you have the same but improved view through the windscreen.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to read this:

 

Apart from positioning, the other crucial law governing dash cams is those with an LED screen. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

 

Looks like I will have to switch mine off whilst driving then.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, George&Ade said:

I think you need to read this:

 

Apart from positioning, the other crucial law governing dash cams is those with an LED screen. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

 

Looks like I will have to switch mine off whilst driving then.:rolleyes:

If your 312 is anything like mine, you can set it so the screen shuts down after a few seconds.

 

The camera still records whilst the screen is blank - page 32 "Screen Saver" or haven't you read that far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.......according to the following,looks like im going to be able to continue using it.

 

A spokesperson for the Department for Transport (DfT) told us: ‘Drivers must ensure they have a clear view of the road and traffic ahead at all times. This includes placing smartphones, dash cams or other items in an appropriate position, so they do not restrict their vision.’ The Highway Code states that any obstructions cannot be more than 40mm into the area swept by the windscreen wiper blades.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-cams/article/dash-cams-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know#Legal - Which?

 

Mine will be placed in an appropriate position.

Maybe im wrong.....but what about the "Heads Up Display" on some cars being able to view all sorts of information on the screen in front of them whilst driving?

 

Are they commiting an offence because they can see it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

Well.......according to the following,looks like im going to be able to continue using it.

 

A spokesperson for the Department for Transport (DfT) told us: ‘Drivers must ensure they have a clear view of the road and traffic ahead at all times. This includes placing smartphones, dash cams or other items in an appropriate position, so they do not restrict their vision.’ The Highway Code states that any obstructions cannot be more than 40mm into the area swept by the windscreen wiper blades.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-cams/article/dash-cams-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know#Legal - Which?

 

Mine will be placed in an appropriate position.

Maybe im wrong.....but what about the "Heads Up Display" on some cars being able to view all sorts of information on the screen in front of them whilst driving?

 

Are they commiting an offence because they can see it?


Positioning the dash cam is not the same as having the screen turned on!  I fail to see what info the dash cam can provide while traveling.

 

Heads up displays are see through, so do not block your view.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JCloughie said:


Positioning the dash cam is not the same as having the screen turned on!  I fail to see what info the dash cam can provide while traveling.

 

Heads up displays are see through, so do not block your view.

 

John

 

My Garmin shows a normal screen at start up, allowing a check to see if it is still pointing where I want it, which dims after approx. 30 secs.

 

It has speed camera warnings which come up when approaching the area then go out after about 10 seconds, nothing about the camera  view of the road can be seen though, so other than a quick glance at it, is as much a distraction as checking my speedo or other instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George&Ade said:

If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

That is the important part of the law.

The positioning is simple, nothing should be placed in the swept area of the windscreen.

 

I really fail to understand why you seem so keen to see on a screen what you can see in much more detail by simply looking out of the windscreen?

To deliberately put your licence at risk, never mind other road users simply to have something illegal in your view is beyond belief.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be illegal if mounted in the correct position,i.e. outside of the sweep of the wiper blades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

 

My Garmin shows a normal screen at start up, allowing a check to see if it is still pointing where I want it, which dims after approx. 30 secs.

 

It has speed camera warnings which come up when approaching the area then go out after about 10 seconds, nothing about the camera  view of the road can be seen though, so other than a quick glance at it, is as much a distraction as checking my speedo or other instruments.

 

Forgot to mention, I don't like anything that disturbs my line if sight, so I made a bracket to mount the dashcam  right at the top of the screen alongside the rear view mirror, the bracket , nor the wiring can be seen all tucked neatly under the roof liner, non of the mounting bits that came with the camera would let me position it where it is now.

 

A quick hint, if your dashcam starts doing silly things, re-format the card, do it in the cam, not in any other device, the constant overwriting of files can cause problems, I think that some manufacturers advise doing it once a month, but how many folk don't fully read all the instructions......................including me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

It wouldn't be illegal if mounted in the correct position,i.e. outside of the sweep of the wiper blades.

What bit of "If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence." do you not understand??????????? 

Edited by Brecon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brecon said:

What bit of "If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence." do you not understand??????????? 

 

Just wondering, would this also apply to mirror mounted reversing cameras, or mirrors where the screen is within the mirror such as these ? there are others.

 

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Reversing-Reverse-Waterproof-Rearview/dp/B07BFSHN35/ref=asc_df_B07BFSHN35/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310873119586&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18372815312942717588&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046653&hvtargid=pla-561967177846&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dash cam screen does not turn off, when in use. 
I have it mounted within the swept area of the wipers ( why wouldn’t you want it to have clear view)

it’s mounted behind the rear view mirror. I can’t see it at all from driving seat. 
it seems to me, from information within this thread, that I am effectively illegally using it.  Bothered. Nah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the important part of the law.

The positioning is simple, nothing should be placed in the swept area of the windscreen.

 

This was your earlier post stating that it was the important part of the law and should not be placed in the swept part of the windscreen.

 

Now its,

If I can see it......its a serious offence.

 

Ive just spoken to a road traffic officer and showed him my dashcam mounted on my car windscreen.

I then asked him if I was committing an offence by being able to see the screen whilst driving.

His reply was that providing the screen is within the sweep areas of the wipers,no offence is being committed.

The only time a police officer may be concerned and issue a ticket if I was to be seen adjusting any of the controls on the dashcam whilst driving.

Im now happy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curiosity got the better of me. Found this on well known dashcam manufactures website

image.png.7e1042c714fc038e28516832f34f4d97.png

 

Nextbase recommend positioning it as seen above. The red zone represents obstructing the drivers view of the road – DO NOT POSITION HERE. The green area shows the surface area the windscreen wipers clean – vital it is placed within this area otherwise dirt on the windscreen could obscure the view of the Dash Cam. A 40mm intrusion into the green wiped area is the maximum permitted by UK law.

 

I am presuming that they know what they a talking about regarding 40mm intrusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Curiosity got the better of me. Found this on well known dashcam manufactures website

image.png.7e1042c714fc038e28516832f34f4d97.png

 

Nextbase recommend positioning it as seen above. The red zone represents obstructing the drivers view of the road – DO NOT POSITION HERE. The green area shows the surface area the windscreen wipers clean – vital it is placed within this area otherwise dirt on the windscreen could obscure the view of the Dash Cam. A 40mm intrusion into the green wiped area is the maximum permitted by UK law.

 

I am presuming that they know what they a talking about regarding 40mm intrusion

That's where my 412gw was fitted. When I upgraded to the 422gw , the fitted it right behind the mirror so you couldn't see it at all. 
Lad who travels with me has on a few occasions told me that it has frozen. So needs resetting. Just what you need from a dashcam that. Apparently they can be prone to it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were true that

"If the screen is on and the driver can see it,you are committing an offence"

 

All the caravanners,motorhomers,lorry drivers,taxis, etc....better not be able to see the screens whilst driving.;)

 

 

  • I do not understand 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

That's where my 412gw was fitted. When I upgraded to the 422gw , the fitted it right behind the mirror so you couldn't see it at all. 
Lad who travels with me has on a few occasions told me that it has frozen. So needs resetting. Just what you need from a dashcam that. Apparently they can be prone to it. 

 

 

Just re-format the memory card but only using the dash cam, don't use any other item, camera, phone etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:Thankyou:

 

My last post should have read,

"Better not be able to see the SAT NAV screens whilst driving"

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

My dash cam screen does not turn off, when in use. 
I have it mounted within the swept area of the wipers ( why wouldn’t you want it to have clear view)

it’s mounted behind the rear view mirror. I can’t see it at all from driving seat. 
it seems to me, from information within this thread, that I am effectively illegally using it.  Bothered. Nah

 

Whether it is legal or not, and I fall on the illegal side.  Why would anyone want it on, just what would be the point.  Yes Silversurfs give speed warnings, but that's not the same thing at all.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...