Sign in to follow this  
MrRVW

Gas Storage

Why ?   You could fit a bottle tank which would go in the gas locker ?

Dave

OK i realise that. So to expand the question, could you fit either and be allowed to fill on the forecourt the same as motorhomes etc?

My answer would be "why not"?

Have a word with a compaby called Autogas 2000 based near Thirsk.

Russ

As a Dave says a bottle tank would be better, better access to the shut off valve, where would you mount one of these with easy access?

Could you fill it on a petrol station forecourt ? I don't see why not, in my travels I've seen caravans with the autogas filling point fitted, seen many cars and vans being filled and folk filling portable gas cylinders in a trailer, a very grey area. 🙄

These are all self service of course.

The Autogas point I go past occasionally isn't self service, the guy who sells the bottles comes out and fills you up, I presume if he wasn't up to speed or unhappy with your set up you wouldn't get any gas.................... however at forecourt.  😉

You would also need to look at the weight as they quote 30 kg if only tank then 44 lt of gas about another 20 kg .

I use a 22 lt bottle tank in my MH which I find does the job but you need to calculate how long you can park on site for without refill if LPG and in winter your use more heating .

Some use a bottle tank with LPG refill and a spare calor bottle for emergency if you run short of LPG on site and then just change the connection over .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I have a refillable gas bottle (alugas much lighter than any tank) fitted in the gas locker of my caravan with a filling point on the 'A' frame and have never had any issues filling. 

47 minutes ago, KontikiKid said:

My answer would be "why not"?

Have a word with a compaby called Autogas 2000 based near Thirsk.

Russ

I second KontikiKid advice above an Talk to Autogas 2000 very helpful. 

Jon 

Edited by jonply

Thanks for your replies. Food for thought

No mention of Safefill bottles? They hold 19.5 litres of gas which is 10kg so your big beast is thrice the size of that and presumably coming in at 35+ kg.

Maybe two Safefill bottles if you need the capacity.

We are in Spain at the moment and using a bottle of Safefill every 4-8 days but all our heating is running on gas.

Refills at 0.7 Euros per litre so 10kg gas is about 14 Euros or £12 but due to residual gas, at fill time the typical cost is about 10 Euros.

I wouldn't want to pack the van up every week and cart it to the forecourt!!!!

The nearest LPG station is about 12km away and I wish I'd got a second bottle on board.

I'd go with two gasit 11kg in the front gas locker with a fill point mounted in locker or fitted to the A frame.

Probably similar cost, if you then buy the gaslow direct fill adapter you could remove the cylinder and direct fill if needed.

I've been using a 6kg Alugas with the direct fill for years as above saves trying to get the caravan to a gas pump.

Different story for the motorhome

7 minutes ago, PandR said:

No mention of Safefill bottles? They hold 19.5 litres of gas which is 10kg so your big beast is thrice the size of that and presumably coming in at 35+ kg.

Maybe two Safefill bottles if you need the capacity.

We are in Spain at the moment and using a bottle of Safefill every 4-8 days but all our heating is running on gas.

Refills at 0.7 Euros per litre so 10kg gas is about 14 Euros or £12 but due to residual gas, at fill time the typical cost is about 10 Euros.

I wouldn't want to pack the van up every week and cart it to the forecourt!!!!

The nearest LPG station is about 12km away and I wish I'd got a second bottle on board.

I have two Safefill bottles 7kg ones. Was just inquisitive as not everywhere allows the refilling of Safefill. I know Morrison’s do. Was wondering if Motorhome can fill with little or no problem, would the same apply if a tank was plumbed in to a caravan.Some places may not see this being the same because it’s a caravan.

I think if it were connected to the caravan externally you'd be in the same position as any motorhome.

Except the motorhome can leave site easily to fill up.

Are you refused LPG for Safefill frequently?

2 minutes ago, PandR said:

I think if it were connected to the caravan externally you'd be in the same position as any motorhome.

Except the motorhome can leave site easily to fill up.

Are you refused LPG for Safefill frequently?

Not recently but there is a garage closer to us that will not entertain the refilling of Safefill even though they have all the information about them. Even Safefill have contacted them and been told on your bike.

I can live with having to hunt and travel a little bit Just needs planning to remember to take my bottle with me when we go out and about.

would be nice to be able go 10 mins to refill rather than 30 mins.

Mind you, presumably now you wouldn't give them your business anyway following their unreasonable behaviour...

And I suspect if you turned up there with a caravan you'd get the same response!!! Maybe also in a motorhome

Edited by PandR

We are in a motorhome and refill the Safefill no bother.

Russ

On 30/01/2020 at 15:35, MrRVW said:

Is it feasible to fit one of these to a caravan? Just being inquisitive

https://www.gasit.co.uk/600-x-230-58ltr-gas-it-toroidal-vapour-tank.html

If you did fit something like this and you keep your caravan in storage, you would need to check if they are happy. I seem to remember one of the places we used has a no gas kept in the caravan policy.

On 30/01/2020 at 15:35, MrRVW said:

Is it feasible to fit one of these to a caravan? Just being inquisitive

https://www.gasit.co.uk/600-x-230-58ltr-gas-it-toroidal-vapour-tank.html

19.5 litre Safefill style direct equivalent of Gasit or AluGas. This is the best bet:

https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/light-composite-caravan-bottle-with-multivalve/

light-composite-refillable-caravan-bottle-with-regulator-and-external-filler__84755.1551052125.jpg

Edited by limecc

That is interesting . I wonder if the filler pipe has a non return valve?

The filler pipe could have a quick release valve in it and that would work for caravans...

On our previous RV there were two LPG tanks; one with a liquid take off to run the engine, and a second with a vapour takeoff for the domestic services. Both were filled without any issue from garage forecourts as they were both "installed" tanks, therefore complied with the Autogas rules.

Thus, an installed tank as the OP suggests should not be an issue in principle, providing it can be filled via an installed fill point, without moving the tank. The shape suggests that a spare wheel recess would be required to fit the tank, such as the spare wheel recess on Avondale caravans, however I would not advocate fitting any gas tank within the living area of the caravan, thus it would probably have to be mounted below the floor and I have reservation as to whether that would leave sufficient ground clearance.

Has the caravan got the payload reserves, and correct weight distribution to have that Gas-it system?

The only other two considerations I would think come into play,are, knowing LPG pumps where you can get the caravan physically to the pump, and for future proofing, how you might cope with the decreasing availability of forecourt LPG pumps.

21 minutes ago, Gordon said:

On our previous RV there were two LPG tanks; one with a liquid take off to run the engine, and a second with a vapour takeoff for the domestic services. Both were filled without any issue from garage forecourts as they were both "installed" tanks, therefore complied with the Autogas rules.

Thus, an installed tank as the OP suggests should not be an issue in principle, providing it can be filled via an installed fill point, without moving the tank. The shape suggests that a spare wheel recess would be required to fit the tank, such as the spare wheel recess on Avondale caravans, however I would not advocate fitting any gas tank within the living area of the caravan, thus it would probably have to be mounted below the floor and I have reservation as to whether that would leave sufficient ground clearance.

There is adequate vertical clearance below floor for a spare wheel and carrier on all caravans using Al-Ko chassis. if the tank was fitted close to the axle this would be the optimum loading point. The floor is stiffened at this point too, by the axle centre bolt. As long as the bottom of the tank is no lower than the chassis 'C' rails, no ground clearance is lost. The only issues I see are Insurance (is the OP bothered?) and Payload (has the OP enough because its pretty heavy. Is the tank fitted with a velocity valve for safety or can an isolation valve be fitted with access?