Very leaking Lunar

At Highbridge collecting my new Coachman 565. Lunar Lexon. 570 was damp checked and riddled with damp down both from pillars and spreading. Van under 3 years old with full service history so Highbridge taking care of it before they sell it. Looks like it is leaking through roof seal at front of caravan. 

If I had any doubts about changing brands I don't any more. 

Last April van serviced and no damp readings of significance. No smell. No bubbling. Apparently the internal wall board has a finish on it that stops the normal tell tale signs but it was the water marks on this finish that told us the problem. Highbridge great about it and deal went through as agreed. Because the main areas are on the pillars behind the curtain you would not have seen it unless you knew what you were looking for. I was gutted. 

I have recently part exchanged my 2016 Lexon Ultima 560 for a New Swift Challenger 580. The Lunar had been dry since I bought it and the dealer who took it in part exchange could not believe it was dry.  Previous Challenger 580 was full of damp at ever service, I beleive it was the window in the roof that had leaked but no one seemed to be concerned enought to take it out and re seal it,

I suppose I was lucky .

David

Not every Lunar leaks. My neighbours have had since new a 2012 Clubman. Perfectly dry. Ok they have had other issues like the wardrobe falling apart but no damp

Alot of caravan production lines are based on piece work, the more the production teams do, the more they get paid, which I think is the wrong way of doing things.

That leak at the roof seal was a fault common to a number of Lunars and was fixed on most under warranty, but what the position is now if it comes up I cannot say. If you are looking at a Lunar you need to check out if it was one of the affected models, and if so make sure it was rectified.  it is an easy but not cheap fix now it is known so could still cost you

I have had three Lunars going to Swift this spring but I have had virtually no issues with any of them in fact they always seem nicely finished vans.

We had damp in our 3 year old Lunar (2014 model) and when it was fixed we were also told that they'd  fixed the roof joint between the front and roof.  It appears that they changed construction and butted them up rather than overlapping (due to recommendations of a new staff member  who had moved from a different manufacturer) which was not suitable for joining wood to 'plastic'.

3 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

Neither of our Lunars has leaked, excellent caravans. I'd buy another when they make an 8ft wide Delta.

I really liked the van and the layout. However when you compare the finish to the Coachman there is a big difference. OK you have to pay a bit more but hopefully it will be worth it. When considering which van to get I considered one of the 2019 Lunar that dealers were knocking out at huge discount. Very glad knowing what I found out since that I did not. It is a shame because as I said the Lexon had great specification and a really nice feel about it. 

Don't count your blessings. As I've heard quite a few mixed reviews about Coachman and not a lot were favourable

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

33 minutes ago, ascsbe said:

I really liked the van and the layout. However when you compare the finish to the Coachman there is a big difference. OK you have to pay a bit more but hopefully it will be worth it. When considering which van to get I considered one of the 2019 Lunar that dealers were knocking out at huge discount. Very glad knowing what I found out since that I did not. It is a shame because as I said the Lexon had great specification and a really nice feel about it. 

Good choice I would say. Coachman seem to be very well built.

As for Lunar? Well didnt they go bust last year?  Again, And were then acquired? Again?

Says a lot?

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

7 hours ago, ascsbe said:

What was it that you found out since that made you put that comment please about the 2019 models being sold at discount? I’ve just bought one! Now you’ve got me worried. Traded in my 2014 Clubman. 

Mike Wild. Mazda CX-7 towing Lunar Clubman Saros SB.

Two Lunars from new with the second one being ours for 5 years - no leaks or any other significant issues. Lunar going bust I doubt was anything to do with leaking caravans more likely that it was a poor executed business plan and some bad luck.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Robinsons. Swindon caravans to name 2 were all offering Lunars at up to 5000 off. 2019 models made before the temporary close down. 

14 hours ago, JanandJay said:

Don't count your blessings. As I've heard quite a few mixed reviews about Coachman and not a lot were favourable

2020 Owner Satisfaction Award winners

Best Manufacturer (New Caravans) - Adria

Best Manufacturer (Pre-Owned Caravans) - Coachman

Best Supplying Dealer (New Caravans) - Winchester Caravans

Best Supplying Dealer (Pre-Owned Caravans) - Peter Roberts Caravans and Motorhomes

Best Caravan Manufacturer (UK New and Pre-Owned) - Coachman

Above from Practical Caravan survey. Coachman do rather well

19 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Robinsons. Swindon caravans to name 2 were all offering Lunars at up to 5000 off. 2019 models made before the temporary close down. 

Sorry I obviously didn’t make myself clear. I know they were offering vans at a substantial discount, that’s why I bought one. The question I was asking was, what  was the negative information that you found out that made you decide not to buy one? Sorry for the confusion in my question. 

Mike Wild. Mazda CX-7 towing Lunar Clubman Saros SB.

Don't think there is anything negative-great caravans =enjoy it! As for the Caravan survey note that even though they say they compensate for numbers of survey , Coachman and Adria had very very low survey returns ie sold very few vans compared to all of the other makes.

20 hours ago, Tradewinds said:

2020 Owner Satisfaction Award winners

Best Manufacturer (New Caravans) - Adria

Best Manufacturer (Pre-Owned Caravans) - Coachman

Best Supplying Dealer (New Caravans) - Winchester Caravans

Best Supplying Dealer (Pre-Owned Caravans) - Peter Roberts Caravans and Motorhomes

Best Caravan Manufacturer (UK New and Pre-Owned) - Coachman

Above from Practical Caravan survey. Coachman do rather well

Interesting the best manufacturer Adria . I always say if the UK manufacturers are to improve quality they buyers need to take action .

The main reason I looked at German manufacturers as no confidence in ours .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

3 hours ago, Mike Wild said:

Sorry I obviously didn’t make myself clear. I know they were offering vans at a substantial discount, that’s why I bought one. The question I was asking was, what  was the negative information that you found out that made you decide not to buy one? Sorry for the confusion in my question. 

The main reason why I did not go for a new Lunar was the uncertainty concerning there future. Yes I could have got a well specked van at a huge discount but if they don't survive then I did not really want to buy a van from a company in turmoil. It would also probably mean that a lot of the initial gain on price may have been lost in a few years time when I traded it in.

Also whilst most equipment fitted is the same in most caravans internal wall coverings etc are Lunar only and may not be readily available in a few years if you were unlucky enough to get damp.

However I don't blame anyone if they were tempted as the deals on offer are fantastic and we both liked the layouts and levels of equipment.

I agree somewhat-however we bought an Avondale-bargain price and sold it at no less than a bargain price ie it depreciated the same as we'd expect any caravan to depreciate at and had no trouble selling as it was a lovely van with lots of features ahead of its time. HOWEVER we were lucky that all of the failures-window arm, toilet flush, tap cartridge and microwave (and that was it over 3 years on a 2008 van) were generic parts that are common to most caravans. Had an actual window go, we may , as one of our neighbours who had a stone go through his on the road, have had more trouble although for the money you save on the selling price you could offset the cost of having one made specifically I suppose-nothing is impossible if you like the decor/layout etc.

We would normally have traded in our 2017 Clubman long before now (at 3 years old its now the oldest van we have ever had) and would definately have bought another Lunar as we haven’t been able to find any other make we like as much.

However I decided not to buy a 2019 model that would only have come with a 3 year warranty, and even then only covering 50% of the labour costs.  Even at £18495 I couldn’t be tempted.

Now decided that if Lunar ever get going again and are still going strong into 2021, then we will look seriously at another Lunar.

In the meantime, I have taken out an insurance based 2 year warranty covering damp ingress and electrical and mechanical breakdown, just in case.

Edited by hp100425ev
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:45, hp100425ev said:

In the meantime, I have taken out an insurance based 2 year warranty covering damp ingress and electrical and mechanical breakdown, just in case.

Hi

Im in the same boat with our Lunar approaching its 3rd anniversary-can i ask who and at what price you paid for an extended warranty?

If you dont wish to broadcat maybe send by private message?

As a Lunar owner I would be interested in who the company is. I can get the price from them so not quoting it is not a problem for me.

3 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

As a Lunar owner I would be interested in who the company is. I can get the price from them so not quoting it is not a problem for me.

Telephone 0191 2588199

MBG Direct

Digital Media Centre

County Way

Barnsley

South Yorkshire

S70 2EQ

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES