Sign in to follow this  
cockneychris

Tyres

I need to change the tyres on my twin axle Bologna because of the cracks developing on the sidewalls and the fact that they are the original tyres from new. This van hasn't done many miles in its life so the tread in as new condition.  As ordinary car tyres are fitted to the Bologna do I buy what it came with, Michelin Energy, or shall I just plump for some real cheap tyres. I can get Kumo tyres for around £38 plus fitting so cheap as chips, I don't do a lot of miles with the van and they would become out of date before much tread was worn off of them.  As you can tell I'm thinking of the cheaper option but give me your views on this please. 

9 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

I need to change the tyres on my twin axle Bologna because of the cracks developing on the sidewalls and the fact that they are the original tyres from new. This van hasn't done many miles in its life so the tread in as new condition.  As ordinary car tyres are fitted to the Bologna do I buy what it came with, Michelin Energy, or shall I just plump for some real cheap tyres. I can get Kumo tyres for around £38 plus fitting so cheap as chips, I don't do a lot of miles with the van and they would become out of date before much tread was worn off of them.  As you can tell I'm thinking of the cheaper option but give me your views on this please. 

I just fitted a set of Firestones to my twin axle

£220 fitted at my storage by tyres on the drive. I always like to fit a brand I have heard of, they don't do many miles so wont wear out but I do want them to last 5 years without cracking, the value ones that came on my swift only lasted 18months ( swift paid for my new ones btw) avoid Avon's, they don't like been sat about and tend to split too or did on my last van before they were 12 months old.

Danny

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Khumo tyres have been used by various car manufacturers as original equipment and I have had them on many cars including some fairly high performance ones without any issues. They have always lasted well. For me, I would not bother with big brand tyres as you are paying as much to cover the marketing as anything else. The most important thing for me is to get the wheels balanced thus reducing damaging vibration .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cockneychris said:

Expensive car, expensive caravan - the difference in price between cheap and premium tyres is a drop in the ocean relatively - tyres are your only contract with the ground.

Yes cheap but a brand I recognise I think. My logic is saying that I can maybe buy another set of cheapies, ie 2 sets, for the price of a half decent ones. I will have to make sure that the manufacture date is as new as possible though.

Nothing at all wrong with Kumho-you don't need the ultimate grip and handling in a caravan tyre anyway so absolutely no point buying Michellin-Kumho all the way!

Just now, Black Grouse said:

Expensive car, expensive caravan - the difference in price between cheap and premium tyres is a drop in the ocean relatively - tyres are your only contract with the ground.

I do see your point BG, I wouldn't put cheap tyres on the car for love nor money but the caravan doing maybe 1500 miles tops during any year at 60 mph at most is swaying me a bit. (no pun intended)704413562_Carandvan.jpg.1c79fd8b0ed2f9833764e5bd77975efc.jpg

• Like 1

You can get car tyres, but check the load index.

An LI of 86 gives a load of 530 / tyre, but if you have a puncture then on a twin axle the load will increase on the remaining good tyre.

I would go for an LI of at least 100. 

But at the end of the day it's your choice what tyres you fit and whether it would affect any insurance payout if the wrong tyres were fitted.

Duly noted Wunny, thank you.

I see the point of expensive car etc too BUT this is a caravan; braking traction, cornering traction wet traction etc are all a bit irrelevant as you cannot get close to the extremes of performance that a quality tyre would have. Totally pointless-Kumho are brilliant tyres in their own right any way-you aren't even considering a budget cheapo tyre but a mid to premium tyre that is OEM on many cars these days and also used on many race cars. KUMHO and save the money. As long as loading etc fits the bill!

Edited by Jezzerb

14 minutes ago, Wunny said:

An LI of 86 gives a load of 530 / tyre, but if you have a puncture then on a twin axle the load will increase on the remaining good tyre.

But at the end of the day it's your choice what tyres you fit and whether it would affect any insurance payout if the wrong tyres were fitted.

An unnecessary precaution. The load rating on a tyre relates to sustained running at the tyres rated speed. In the event of a single tyre deflation on a TA caravan the remaining wheel on that side is hardly likely to be under the extra load for anywhere near long enough for it to matter. 

• I agree completely 1