Sign in to follow this  
Colinf70

Ripe insurance

Just had a quote £100 cheaper than the rest  Aviva underwritten  anyone used them ?

thanks

Give us clue as to which company that refers to please.

Andy

• Like 2

Company name is ripe insurance 

15 minutes ago, Colinf70 said:

Company name is ripe insurance 

Thanks, just wasn’t very clear in your initial post.

My insurance is due up soon, will give them a call.

For anyone interested This is their website

Andy

Just done an online quote for my 2019 Bailey Phoenix £19K new for old, £2500 contents and £1400 awning. Looks too good to be true!!! See below.

I will be ringing them tomorrow!!!

1C1F6A6D-4733-4F2C-B2B5-106F1219FD8E.png

Edited by Mr Plodd

Just done a dummy quote, ridiculously cheap.  Not looked at the policy details as mine is not due for 7 months, but will keep my eyes on them.  

Thanks Colin

John

43 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Just done a dummy quote, ridiculously cheap.  Not looked at the policy details as mine is not due for 7 months, but will keep my eyes on them.  

Thanks Colin

John

Same as I did! Seems very cheap!

Well my caravan insurance IS due very shortly, so I will be speaking with Ripe Insurance tomorrow.

Its one of two things, a scam, or proof that other insurers are taking us all for mugs. But if, and it’s something I will confirm tomorrow, the policy is underwritten by Aviva, as per the original post, then there doesn’t seem to be a downside. 

I paid well over £200 this time LAST year.

Looks like Aviva ARE underwriting them See here

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I tried, but due to the other caravan having been stolen, Ripe doesn't want to know.  Its so unfair.  Insurers treat the victims as the thieves.  They are quick to take your money, but don't want to know when you make a claim.  No wonder Chairmen of companies receive millions on retirement.  I bet they haven't put that much in from their salaries:angry:

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well my caravan insurance IS due very shortly, so I will be speaking with Ripe Insurance tomorrow.

Its one of two things, a scam, or proof that other insurers are taking us all for mugs. But if, and it’s something I will confirm tomorrow, the policy is underwritten by Aviva, as per the original post, then there doesn’t seem to be a downside. 

I paid well over £200 this time LAST year.

Looks like Aviva ARE underwriting them See here

Andy

I suggest looking closely at their policy to see if it gives what you want/need.

John

I posted a message about Ripe on another thread. I got an online quote from them which was very competative and seemed to cover everything I wanted. I checked the policy documents which you can find on their site. They state that their claims are handled by Davies Group. I searched "Davies Group reviews". Guess what? Nearly all of the reviewers gave them1* and for many that was because 1* was the lowest you could give to post a review. One person did give them 5* for being the worst claim handlers though! Before taking out any Insurance I would always check out who the underwriters and claim handlers are. Ripe? I won't be insuring and I'm out!

Trustpilot reviews:- 92% bad 1*

Edited by TonyandKaren
addition
  • Like 4

Just taken out our 2019 caravan insurance with the CMC on a new for old basis, caravan and mover £41,000, awning £1500, premium £481.

Towergate, our insurer for the last few years quoted me originally at £642 :o but after giving them a talking to came down £523.

Ripe on a like for like basis.........£192.

Would have probably been worth a punt with our previous caravan devalued to £7,000 but my gut feel with our new one says stay clear.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Just taken out our 2019 caravan insurance with the CMC on a new for old basis, caravan and mover £41,000, awning £1500, premium £481.

Towergate, our insurer for the last few years quoted me originally at £642 :o but after giving them a talking to came down £523.

Ripe on a like for like basis.........£192.

Would have probably been worth a punt with our previous caravan devalued to £7,000 but my gut feel with our new one says stay clear.

Griff the caravan club stopped selling insurance quite a while ago and now sell caravan cover.  This makes me wonder because if you change insurers you will not have had a insurance policy in place for the past year or more depending on how long you have been covered by the caravan club.

If you move to another insurance company you will be starting off as a brand new entrant with zero No Claims bonus.  That means that the CMC now have to locked in for the rest of your natural life.

We took what we thought was insurance with the CMC last year but when we realised the pitfalls, we cancelled the insurance and went back to Towergate.  Our ourfit on New for Old is higher than £41k and our premium was under £500.

• I do not understand 2

I like to buy best value and not pay more than necessary for things but from reading this and other places seems to be plenty of unhappy people with declined claims.

So I stick with CMC who appear to be well liked when claims made.

The insurance bit and cover keep getting mentioned but they still get recommendations from customers.

My Cadiz is insured through the C&CC - Club Care Insurance. Insured on the 26 Nov  for £243.94 new for old.

I gave them a ring after the three month trial of the tracker and told them I wasn't renewing it. OK, no extra premium.

I  hate insurances; to me they are a necessary evil and always shop round and always go for the cheapest that gives the cover that suits me. They all try to wriggle out of paying and if you put away what you save you might not need to claim anyway! My philosophy only and a gamble I know-do the same with product insurances-never buy washing machine/tv extended guarantees. It is a bit like gambling; but in reverse-with products at least I generally win-most things have lasted longer than 5 years ie the life of most extended warranties with the exception of Panasonic DVD recorders-had 3 and non lasted longer than 3 years so would have won on them! Been put off Panasonic stuff in a big way! Weird as they have such a good reputation but when one packed up just over a year and they wouldn't even consider a good will repair that was it for me with them!

4 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

They all try to wriggle out of paying

I understand and agree with the thinking behind your post, except the statement above.  I have made claims over the years as have most people.  I have only once experienced a company trying to wriggle out and that was over 40 years ago and totally stupid.  

I turned a Ford Anglia on its side avoiding a child running into the road.  The child’s father attempted to make a claim and the company responded well because there was possibly very big money involved.  The case was dismissed.

But with the car repair.  They wanted my to pay some towards the cost for ‘betterment’. They said they would have to replace the cill as the old one had some rust in it.  We were only talking about a couple of quid.  I told them to put an equally rusty one back on.  That posed a problem for them.  They chose to write it off instead which suited me.

John

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

I have made claims over the years as have most people. 

I am 68 years old and have only ever made one insurance claim, a cheeky one on a bank travel policy which was, as I expected, turned down.

• I do not understand 1

I have made a couple of claims over the years but have never scrimped when it came to taking out a policy. I would rather pay extra with the knowledge that any claim I may have to make will be sorted out as trouble free as possible. My caravan is worth £25k with contents which is a lot of money to jeopardise for the sake of a few pounds. That doesn't mean to say that I would always go with the most expensive, but shop around, check the small print and also check reviews for how claims are dealt with. The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is very true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

I understand and agree with the thinking behind your post, except the statement above.  I have made claims over the years as have most people.  I have only once experienced a company trying to wriggle out and that was over 40 years ago and totally stupid.  

I turned a Ford Anglia on its side avoiding a child running into the road.  The child’s father attempted to make a claim and the company responded well because there was possibly very big money involved.  The case was dismissed.

But with the car repair.  They wanted my to pay some towards the cost for ‘betterment’. They said they would have to replace the cill as the old one had some rust in it.  We were only talking about a couple of quid.  I told them to put an equally rusty one back on.  That posed a problem for them.  They chose to write it off instead which suited me.

John

That is really good to hear; claimed on a car once and they didn't repair all of the damage-took me quite a wrangle to prove that the car had not been repaired and it wasn't an existing fault. Engineer tried to make me look silly but fortunately I knew too much about cars and the bump I had had and they didn't get away with it-wasn't easy though-tarnished my view ever since. It would have been quicker, simpler and no more expensive after losing some of my no claims plus the excess etc, to have had a local independent mechanic fix it. 

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Griff the caravan club stopped selling insurance quite a while ago and now sell caravan cover.  This makes me wonder because if you change insurers you will not have had a insurance policy in place for the past year or more depending on how long you have been covered by the caravan club.

If you move to another insurance company you will be starting off as a brand new entrant with zero No Claims bonus.  That means that the CMC now have to locked in for the rest of your natural life.

We took what we thought was insurance with the CMC last year but when we realised the pitfalls, we cancelled the insurance and went back to Towergate. 

Totally perplexed Durbanite.

If I decide to move back to Towergate for instance at the end of my period with the CMC, the NCD/B question asked by Towergate and I quote is: 'How many years of caravan no claims discount do you have' and my answer will be 6+ from their dropdown on the basis that I have not claimed with the CMC in the meantime.

No question that I can find to do with 'have I had an insurance policy in place for the last year'.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Griff;  did they , CMC,  ask the question about protecting your NCB ?  Why don't you give them a ring and get it from the horses mouth, so to speak  ? 

20 minutes ago, joanie said:

Griff;  did they , CMC,  ask the question about protecting your NCB ?  Why don't you give them a ring and get it from the horses mouth, so to speak  ? 

Yes they, the CMC did ask the question, I answered yes to protection and the premium was loaded by a £43.20 for the privilege.

I spoke to the CMC this afternoon asking the question as to whether in future my possible NCD transfer to another company would be a straight forward, the answer was yes, I don't think that they could understand why I should think that there would be a problem, i.e. 'insurance versus cover'.

They like me understood that any insurer or cover provider ask a variety of differing questions on an application, primarily being interested in, 'has an offer of insurance been declined to you', usually ever or over a period and  'how many years NCD are you entitled to' which apparently does not get checked anyway.

• Like 1

I'm glad you got that sorted.

I have had to send a copy of proof  to a car ins about the number of years NCB just a couple of years ago. 

Just renewed my car insurance, been with LV fr donkeys of years, they increased my premium by £100 over last year, I had a few quotes and Saga were £200 cheaper than LV fixed for three years, since I agreed with Saga I have had LV on the phone begging me to go back to them.

The funny thing is that my Saga insurance is underwritten by    yes you have guessed     LV=  a very mysterious world is Insurance

Also it is like for like apart from Fully Comp in Europe for 90 days versus 180 I had with LV=

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 1

Why did you only get 90 days in Europe? We have unlimited European cover from saga included at no cost.

Sign in to follow this